Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

RealFlight G3 Basics - Newbies apply here

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

RealFlight G3 Basics - Newbies apply here

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 11:04 AM
krejcik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RealFlight G3 Basics - Newbies apply here

I purchased RFG3 to learn how to fly. After reading posts in this forum, I now know that there is a lot to learn about the simulator in general. Only yesterday did I change my Physics setting from Low to High. Boy, what a difference that makes. I think the RealFlight people should put together a "Getting Started" document. All the current documentation assumes that you are far more educated than a beginner really is.

I would like to start this new thread so Newbies like myself can ask stupid questions that the manual does not seem to answer, or I cannot find.

First stupid question... I have never had a radio with Dual Rates. How does the DR switch work? Is it Up for large throw or the opposite? I can't really get a feel for it. I have pretty much limited myself to the BLT as that is what will most likely match the flight characteristics of the Slow Stik I am going to get.

Thanks for your help!
-Ed
Old 01-11-2005, 11:50 AM
krejcik

Default RE: RealFlight G3 Basics - Newbies apply here

Can RFG3 be run without the Controller? I loaded it on my laptop thinking that maybe I could edit planes while on the road. But apparently, you cannot even run the software without a controller being connected. Is this true?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:11 PM
jaafit

I have never had a radio with Dual Rates. How does the DR switch work? Is it Up for large throw or the opposite?
Yes, up is large throws. Note that not all of the planes in G3 come with dual rates already set up, although you can add this capability to any plane using the aircraft editor.

One of the planes that does have it already installed is the "Yak-54." Try this: Load the Yak-54 and don't take off. Instead, use the "+" key to zoom in on the aircraft as it's sitting on the ground. Now hold the elevator down and flip the dual rates switch (right above the left stick). You will see that when the switch is up, more elevator is applied than when the switch is down. The same is true of the rudder and ailerons.

Can RFG3 be run without the Controller? I loaded it on my laptop thinking that maybe I could edit planes while on the road. But apparently, you cannot even run the software without a controller being connected.
No, that's our copy prevention mechanism. G3 cannont be run without the controller. Sorry if that caused you any inconvenience.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Learning to 3D
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe someone could help me here also.. My parents bought G2 for me from someone off ebay and sent it to me, however it does not have a cable for my transmitter. I have a JrXP6102 I have never used a simulator before and do not know where to get the correct cable for it. Any help or web sites on where to get it would be great, this looks like a great program and i cant wait to start using it....

Thanks
Old 01-11-2005, 03:51 PM
krejcik

ORIGINAL: jaafit

Can RFG3 be run without the Controller? I loaded it on my laptop thinking that maybe I could edit planes while on the road. But apparently, you cannot even run the software without a controller being connected.
No, that's our copy prevention mechanism. G3 cannont be run without the controller. Sorry if that caused you any inconvenience.
That's a bummer, but I can see why you did it that way. I'm sure someone so inclined could easily figure out how to create a cable to connect a transmitter. It would be nice to be able to run the Airplane Editor stand alone...
Old 01-14-2005, 01:51 AM
oconnor

I dont want to vent i will try to be polite im a little upset with my online performance from g3. I have talked to others and a issue of the code is wrong? G3 is a great product until i try to play with others online. I just bought my computer brand new.The software runs great alone but while trying to fly with others online it sends an error shutting it compleatly down sometimes it is fine,but its starting to frustrate me. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:09 PM
jaafit

Thanks for your input. Yes, there are some problems with the multiplayer portion of G3. Sometimes it's impossible to join a listed session, sometimes when another person leaves your session, G3 crashes, and the performance could be better overall. We are working on these issues now and a fix will be available in a future update. I'm glad you're enjoying the sim otherwise.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:12 PM
jaafit

Any G3 questions, basic or not? I'm here to help anyone, so don't be afraid to ask.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Bud Faulkner

How do I delete a plane I created (modified) when I try to delete it I get a message cannot delete it's being used by the system.

Bud
Old 01-14-2005, 08:36 PM
jhimmel

Switch to another plane before trying to delete.
You can not delete a plane that is currently selected for use.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Bud Faulkner

Got it...thanks.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:58 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Hello Jaafit,
I would like to learn how to creat my own plane pint scemes. I went and bought PAINT SHOP PRO SUDIO yesterday.
Will the PAINT SHOP PRO STUDIO work for what I need and can you sent me a step by step message on how to make a paint sceme?
NEDYOB
Old 01-15-2005, 06:16 PM
krejcik

I would like to know how to change the shape of the fuselage in the airplane editor. Ideally, I would like to create a Pod & Boom fuselage. I bought my kids Hobyzone Aerobird Challangers for Xmas and would love to create something close to that in G3. Has anyone done anything close to this?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Leety

How does the multimode in G3 work?

I can get it to run fine, but I don't know how to reset the player's plane that's using the computer radio's plane.
After a crash of course... ;p
(the one that uses the interlink controller can reset fine)

what must I do? =/
thanks.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:07 PM
jaafit

ORIGINAL: nedyob

Hello Jaafit,
I would like to learn how to creat my own plane pint scemes. I went and bought PAINT SHOP PRO SUDIO yesterday.
Will the PAINT SHOP PRO STUDIO work for what I need and can you sent me a step by step message on how to make a paint sceme?
NEDYOB
Yes, Paint Shop Pro is great for editing color schemes.

Here are the steps that I'd recommend:
1. If you haven't already, download and install the free heli update. http://www.realflight.com/helis.html
2. Run G3, and select the plane you want to edit.
3. In the Aircraft menu choose "Save Color Scheme As..." and type a name in the dialog box that appears.
4. Go to the directory where you installed RealFlight (usually C:\Program Files\RealFlightG3) and find the "ColorSchemes" folder. In that folder you will see a .tga file that is named [airplane name]~[name you chose].tga (the only .tga file in there if this is your first custom color scheme). Double-clicking on this should load Paint Shop Pro.
5. Use Paint Shop Pro to edit the .tga file. Save the file.
6. Switch back to G3 (assuming you haven't closed it)
7. Open the Aircraft Editor.
8. Turn off the wireframe in the Options menu of the Aircraft Editor.
9. Click "Reload Color Scheme" (also in the Options menu). You will see the changes that you made.
10. If you wish to make further changes, go to step 5.

Steps 6-10 are optional, but will probably help a great deal if you are doing anything complicated.

Also, here's a little something from the manual:
While looking in the “ColorSchemes†directory for your new color scheme, you may also notice a “.colorscheme†file with the same name as the “.tga†file. This file can be opened in a text editor such as notepad. Within, you will find six values to edit: Specular, Reflectivity, PowerSpecularOff, PowerSpecularOn, PowerReflectiveOff, and PowerReflectiveOn.
*Specular - A multiplier for the overall specularity of the aircraft. Specular=1 is neutral, Specular=0 disables specular highlights.
*Reflectivity - A multiplier for the overall reflectivity of the aircraft. Reflectivity=1 is neutral, Reflectivity=0 disables reflections.
*Specular highlights ramp from fully off to fully on as the specular power of each piece of the aircraft goes from the value PowerSpecularOff to PowerSpecularOn.
*Reflections ramp from fully off to fully on as the specular power of each piece of the aircraft goes from the value PowerReflectiveOff to PowerReflectiveOn.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:13 PM
jaafit

ORIGINAL: krejcik

I would like to know how to change the shape of the fuselage in the airplane editor. Ideally, I would like to create a Pod & Boom fuselage. I bought my kids Hobyzone Aerobird Challangers for Xmas and would love to create something close to that in G3. Has anyone done anything close to this?
You can't change the shape of the fuselage, only the length/width/height. This capability may be added in a future release.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
jaafit

ORIGINAL: Leety

How does the multimode in G3 work?

I can get it to run fine, but I don't know how to reset the player's plane that's using the computer radio's plane.
After a crash of course... ;p
(the one that uses the interlink controller can reset fine)

what must I do? =/
thanks.
Click on the 2nd player's screen to activate that view. Once the view is activated, you can press spacebar to reset the 2nd player's plane.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Leety

ORIGINAL: jaafit

Click on the 2nd player's screen to activate that view. Once the view is activated, you can press spacebar to reset the 2nd player's plane.
Yeah, I was just reading the help file and figured that one out.. thanks..

another question about multiplayer....

What ports does G3 run on?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:40 PM
lomcevak509

I got G3 for Christmas and am really happy with the sim (lot of fun). There is just one problem. I cannot get the shadows to show up. I made sure that they were on in the settings menu, turned them up to high, re-installed the program, turned up the graphics, etc., but still they don't work. Help?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:19 PM
jaafit

ORIGINAL: flyboy10651

I got G3 for Christmas and am really happy with the sim (lot of fun). There is just one problem. I cannot get the shadows to show up. I made sure that they were on in the settings menu, turned them up to high, re-installed the program, turned up the graphics, etc., but still they don't work. Help?
Some graphics cards do not support our implementation of shadows. Which one do you have?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Dig it

I got Add-on 1 from a buddy but when I install it I get "realflight.exe" generating an error and then I have to reinstall G3 to get around it. Whats up?

I really want add on 5 for the bobcat but I'm not going to buy it if I can't get it to work.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:57 PM
nedyob

Thanks JAAFIT,
will give it a werl and see what I can wip up.
NEDYOB
Old 01-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Leety

Why do I get..
failed to send player packet

when trying to join some multi games?
anything I can do to fix it? or is it on the hosts end?
also, what port #s does G3 multi use? (so I can host)

thanks.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:48 PM
nedyob

Hello Jaafit,
I get as far as the tga file in the G3 coro sceme folder and when I click on it I get this warning:
"Paint cannot read this file.This is not a valid bitmap file or its formate is not currently suported"
Have any ideas on whats wrong, Im womdering if my Pait Shop Pro Studio will work.
NEDYOB
Old 01-18-2005, 05:08 PM
jaafit

ORIGINAL: nedyob

Hello Jaafit,
I get as far as the tga file in the G3 coro sceme folder and when I click on it I get this warning:
"Paint cannot read this file.This is not a valid bitmap file or its formate is not currently suported"
Have any ideas on whats wrong, Im womdering if my Pait Shop Pro Studio will work.
NEDYOB
Your computer thinks that you want .tga files to open with Microsoft Paint, not Jasc Paint Shop Pro. Here's one way to solve that:

1. Open Jasc Paint Shop Pro
2. Go to the "File->Preferences" menu and choose "File Format Associations"
3. In this dialog, find and check ".tga" and click OK

Now you should be able to double-click a .tga file and Jasc Paint Shop Pro will open it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.