Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Taylorcraft - what gasoline engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Taylorcraft - what gasoline engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 12:07 PM
rbort
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taylorcraft - what gasoline engine?

Hey guys:

I just got myself a Taylorcraft and I am shopping for power for this baby. I know the g23 is weak, or I've heard that, and I'm wondering what fits well and runs good in this plane.

I am interested in only gasoline engines (nitro is a thing of the past for me), and would like to hear what is the best setup for this plane.

Obviously the more power the better, but, within reason due to engine weight of-course. I also noticed that the spinner that comes with this plane is TINY, and, wondered how I can get such a large prop associated with the large engine on this thing. Will this plane even take a 20 inch prop, or is it too big for it? Looks like the spinner diameter can only be about 2.5 to 2.75inch max before it starts covering the air inlet holes.

Would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with this, and thanks!

-=>Raja.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:56 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Raja:

Which T-Craft ?
Nosen, GP -- clipped or standard ?
If it is the GP ARF, then do a search here on that plane. In the last
couple of months there's been hundreds of posts on the engine
combo. The range has been 160, G-23, G-38 and US-41. The G-23
is not a weak engine. It will fly the GP clipped wing at scale speed.
I'm sure there are speed freaks that have used the G-62 or ZDZ-
40 or 60

Randy
Old 08-07-2002, 01:10 PM
rbort

Default H9 Taylorcraft

Hi:

Its the Hanger 9 taylorcraft. I looked at the ZDZ 40 engine and it looks to be too long to fit. Perhaps the BME 50 is a better choice?

-=>Raja.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:24 PM
KidVermin

Sorry, I meant the H9, can't figure why I wrote GP. One fellow
mentioned he used the ZDZ engine but had to recess the firewall
and cut an opening for the RI carb.

Randy
Old 08-08-2002, 01:38 AM
HarleyRider
My Feedback: (10)

I am flying my H9 Taylorcraft with the G23. It does a very good job flying the A/C scale like. I was thinking about changing to a Taurus 2.6, but after I looked at everything I would have to change, I decided not to. For the money the G23 is hard to beat.
I will put the 2.6 in something else.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:09 AM
Chris 540

ZDZ 40 fits nicely on the supplied standoffs...just have to cut a hole in the firewall for the carb to stick through.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:06 AM
ksebago
My Feedback: (57)

MVVS 2.15 35cc gas would be a good choice,Ken
Old 08-08-2002, 03:09 AM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

Default ENGINE FOR TAYORCRAFT

RBORT I AGREE WITH SOME OF THE COMMENTS.
I HAVE FLOWN H9 TAYLORCRAFT WITH A G23 ITS OK SCALE.
I HAVE SAME PLANE WITH A RCS140 THIS ENGINE WAS PROPERLY BROKEN IN, AND TURNS A 16-8 MASTER AIR SCREW AT 8900-9100 ON THE HIGH END. THIS MUCH HIGHER THAN THE G23.
THE ZDZ40 IS TOO LARGE FOR THIS PLANE.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:05 PM
rbort

Default RCS 140...interesting

Hi guys:

Will the RCS 140 pull the taylorcraft vertical, or is it still limited in power? I also saw an RCS 180, but it looks to be too long with the engine mount to the hub to fit inside the cowl, but maybe I can move the cowl out a bit to accomodate it? They say 6.25 to 6.5 inches from firewall to engine hub, and the RCS 180 is 7 inches according to their web site.

How about the BME 44? That one seems to fit too. Do you guys think it is too much weight and engine, or is it okay to go in there too? Thoughts on this one?

Thanks guys!

-=>Raja.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:35 PM
Chris 540

The RCS 180 sucks...too heavy for is power...better of with the ZDZ 40. Thats the most motor I would put on this plane.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:10 PM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Keeping in mind that a TCraft is not a hang on the prop airplane I think you will be happy with a G23. I have one on mine and on my H9 Cub on float as well. A very good reliable engine, and its price is right. Both of mine fly faster than scale speed and the 23 gets the float plane out of the water quite fast.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:08 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
My best flying buddy bought the H9 T-craft this winter when they came out. First I converted a Homelite 30cc trimmer engine for him with a C&H synchro spark ignition. Turned an 18-8, 18-10 or 20-8 prop nicely (mid 6000's) enough to have a good climb out and aerobatics, but by no means unlimited vertical. Then we swapped it out for a 2 cubic inch (33cc) Dolmar we made up also with a C&H ignition, gained some RPM's and power (improved climb) but speed was the same. The plane isnt great for 3D anyhow (Way too small tail surfaces, we both flew it and aggreed) so why go for more power?

Just lost it a few weekends ago (pulled a stall turn way to low to recover, Doh! "X" one H9 T-craft...

AJC
Old 08-09-2002, 01:44 AM
PJAMESRC

rbort what do you want this plane to be ? to fly scale with aerobatics with some gusto ? here are some facts. g23 wt =3.19 lbs hp=2.0 , ok now look at the rcs140 wt=1.75 wow hp=2.9,almost 1/3 more hp. it moves the plane. costs,g23=290 , the rcs140 =$345 no brainer
the zdz40 is too heavy. regards jim
Old 08-09-2002, 04:17 AM
FastLaneAK

Default try a mvvs 1.6

I think that the mvvs 1.6 might be a good choice. Good power, light weight, and the new updated one is supposed to run real well.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:32 AM
Wayne H

I've got a US41 in my H9 Taylorcraft. Plenty of power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20650_5089.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	12940  
Old 08-09-2002, 04:35 AM
Wayne H

mounted

Name:	20651_5089.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	12941  
Old 08-09-2002, 04:39 AM
Wayne H

replace the spinner....the one supplied is a joke.

Name:	20652_5089.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	12942  
Old 08-09-2002, 10:05 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Here you go >

I've been thinking about this plane as well> Taurus 2.6 gas

Doughttp://www.*************.com/
Old 08-10-2002, 01:38 AM
PJAMESRC

WAYNE, THE AIRFRAME OF THE HANGER 9 TAYLORCRAFT IS NOT DESIGNED FOR A US 41 OR A 2.6 SIZE. RBORT WANTED TO BUY A NEW GASOLINE ENGINE, THEREFORE IN ORDER TO KEEP THE PLANE WINGLOADING LIGHT THE LOGICAL CHOICE IS THE LASTEST TECHNOGY, A RCS 1.40 A GAS ENGINE THAT IS SUPERIOR TO OTHERS, THESE ENGINES ARE MADE IN HUNGARY BY MOKI. I HAVE
3 RCS 1.40 ALL POWERFUL, ZDZ 40, AND ZDZ 60 WHICH ALL HAVE A UNBEATABLE POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO.
I GUESS IT DEPENDS WHAT YOU WANT IN A AIRPLANE. MY POINT A VIEW IS IF YOU WANT A FAST HI PERFORMANCE PLANE GET A CAP 232 / OR WHATEVER, MY OPINION PJAMESRC JIM
Old 08-30-2002, 12:33 PM
rbort

Default BME 44 looking like a great fit!

Hey guys:

Just wanted to update you folks that I received the BME44 engine yesterday with a J&A pitts muffler and it seems to be the perfect fit for this plane! It mounts right on with the supplied mount with the plane, and, two of the holes in the firwall line up well to center the engine. Just need to drill the two other holes, and, using the wood spacers the engine comes out from the firewall 6.375", which is right in the middle of the 6.25 to 6.5" distance from firewall to thrustwasher that they recommend.

I weighed the engine complete less prop, spinner and battery pack to run it and its about 3.5 lbs. I ordered a truturn spinner and a Mejlick 20x10 prop for it. Looks like its going to be a great combo and I can't wait to get it done now!! So if you guys are looking for additional power, it looks like the BME44 is a perfect fit!

-=>Raja.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:28 PM
FastLaneAK

Has anyone installed a G45 in a T-Craft yet? I have a buudy that is doing so now and I was wondering how it compares to some of the other motors on these planes? Should be plenty of power, hope its not too heavy!

Lane
Old 09-01-2002, 07:17 AM
ChinookPilot

Default H9 T-Craft with G-45

Lane,

I am also in the process of mounting a G-45 on my plane. I will report on my experiences with this combo as soon as I have some data. Keep us posted as to how your friend's project is working out.

Sam
Old 09-03-2002, 01:33 PM
rbort

Default Getting there!

Hi guys:

Just finished mounting the BME 44 on this plane this weekend. It couldn't have been a better engine/fit for this plane. The engine mounted right up using the supplied engine mount and dowel spacers, and the thrust washer lined up perfectly for the cowl spacing from the firewall requirement. I had to cut an opening at the bottom of the cowl for the pitts muffler (J&A) and the cylinder head, and another hole for the needle access and front carb screw which was touching the insides of the cowl.

Besides that, it fit perfectly and I didn't have to hack the firewall for a rear carburator motor like the ZDZ 40. Also, the muffler fit with 1/8" clearance so I didn't have to hack the firewall for the muffler either. If you look at the review of the Taylorcraft (someone posted a link to it on this thread), you will see alot of work was required to mount the ZDZ 40 (holes for the carb and muffler in the firewall). With the BME, it was a breeze and the engine weighted in at 3.5lbs so I think the power to weight ratio is great. By the way, I used a Dubro quick fill and mounted it right in the front predrilled circular hole in the cowl (figured why not use the hole since it was already there).

With the cowl installed, 20x10 mejlick prop and truturn spinner the model seems to hang almost level when I pick it up wingless from the top cabin former where the wing dowels go in. This is usually a good indication for me that the balance is in a good range from previous experience with other like models.

Still got some work to do to finalize the model, but, it should fly sometime this week and I can't wait to see how she will do!

-=>Raja.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:08 AM
rbort

Default All together now

Okay guys:

She is pretty much all together now less decals and window trim. I assembled the whole plane and checked it out on the house scale (not accurate) and she checks in at about 15lbs ready to fly.

This is with the BME 44 engine with a J&A muffler. Everything looks good and the CG even checked out right on with the BME engine and no additional lead. I put the servos in the stock position, but I did leave one one set of lower struts for the stab. I didn't think two sets of struts were necessary on the bottom and just opted with one for now - the one that connects to the top ones going to the rudder.

Tomorrow I will run the engine and try a thrust test with a fish scale. I have a Mejlick 20x10 on her and expect something like low 7000's rpms from this engine.

Flight test will be on Friday, so I'll post more details later.

-=>Raja.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:34 PM
rbort

Default Today is the day

Well, today is the day boys! I fired up the engine in the yard last night and adjusted it, looks like 7100 sustained rpms with the Mejlick 20x10 once it got hot. She is pulling what seems to be about 8kgs with a non-accurate fish scale (increments in kgs), and the plane weighing in at 15lbs looks like I have 1.1 to 1 power to weight ratio. I thought it would be more thrust for an engine this size, like maybe 21lbs of thrust or more, but seems to be more like 17.5lbs from what I can tell.

Anyway, I will fly it tonight and see how well she will hover and climb out, and then report the findings to you guys. By the way, when I ran the engine last night two things happened. A) the nylon clevis holding the main gear from spreading got cut in half from engine vibration (metal on plastic), so I replaced them with Sullivan gold clevisis, and b) the elevator pushrod was wobbling left to right with the engine idling so I ended up making a support tube mounted on a wooden block glued to the servo tray for it just like they show in the instructions for the throttle pushrod. Minor detail fixes, but a good thing I ran the engine the day before to adjust it and to see how well things hold up before flight.

Wish me luck, logging flight #1 on 9/6/02!

-=>Raja.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.