Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

This may go against the grain...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Operatorint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This may go against the grain...

My neighborhood is pretty quiet and I'm in good standing with all my neighbors. I'm afraid running my Savage in the street/grass/sidewalk around my house may piss some people off. Iobviously won't run it too early or too late, and I plan on taking it to some bike trails and barren fields a lot too. My question is simple. Are there ways to make the engine/exhaust quieter? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:54 PM
ChaseMe

Default RE: This may go against the grain...

I feel the exact same way. I try to wait for a weekday before running it around my house, and even then I'm feeling guilty after about 10min. I've been thinking of trying this out: http://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums...ad.php?t=13861

My exhaust isn't end bleed like this though, so I'm not sure how I'd do it.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 PM
lightning73

thats the worst sanford andson lookinrig job ive ever seen!...thats just wrong...makes thetruck look like crap...
Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 lmao... wow I've never seen something that looks like such complete @$$ before...
Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 PM
ChaseMe

As a temporary silencer does it really matter?!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
lightning73

good luck havin thatfreakish lookin thing stay on after a jump...one little bump and its rollin away in the opposite direction!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:19 PM
CR500rider

hahahaha, that is the most rubberdiculous thing i ever saw! You can call it the "S&S racing exhaust"! (sanford & son)
Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
rotzilla

if thats the only choice id just run the truck and take my chances of pissing the neighbors off....
Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM
lightning73

i second that last notion!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

wow that looks ridiculous (and the Sanford and son jokes gave me a good laugh )
Almost as bad as those hondas with the giant coffee cans welded on the end of the pip to look hardcore
And seeing a Savage is quieter than a lawn mower I personally wouldn't care
just make sure you keep the pipe on they can be insanely loud if the pipe falls off as I've learned in the past
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM
head_hunter

if you are already in good standing then just ask them what time of day would be better. Most find these trucks at least interesting and won't complain. Really inside a house the noise of a nitro truck is barely heard. That can will make your truck run like crap. You will most likely have to re-tune it the more exhuast the less power. The motor needs to breath in and out. That's why you never see any exhuast on drag cars, just straight headers.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

That can on the end of the pipe outlet may look like crap, but something like that is really the only way you're going to be able to significantly reduce the noise output without killing performance. The noise level (dB) is affected mostly by the pressure and flow rate of the exhaust gases as they enter the atmosphere, and a device that effectively slows the gas flow and reduces its pressure is not going to be small by any means.

IMO, if you want quiet, you should buy an electric R/C. Nitro engines are designed to be loud, as it adds realism to the driving experience. They were never intended to be neighborhood friendly.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 PM
crazykat

I look at it this way. I don't expect them to ask me what time is a good time to cut the grass or use the weed trimmer. It probably takes them longer to cut the grass then to run the trucks. I usually run them for a tank or 2. Thats usually the fix I need. I would probably run them longer, but i'm the only one that still runs them. My buddies bailed on me.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

That can on the end of the pipe outlet may look like crap, but something like that is really the only way you're going to be able to significantly reduce the noise output without killing performance. The noise level (dB) is affected mostly by the pressure and flow rate of the exhaust gases as they enter the atmosphere, and a device that effectively slows the gas flow and reduces its pressure is not going to be small by any means.

IMO, if you want quiet, you should buy an electric R/C. Nitro engines are designed to be loud, as it adds realism to the driving experience. They were never intended to be neighborhood friendly.
agree I'd look at a flux if your so worried about your neighbors or try to convert your savage to electric.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

they're not designed to be loud, thier design makes them inherently loud big differance, its like a F-16, the guy's with PHD's in areospace weren't like hey this is a great plane and you know what would make it even awsomer if we made it super loud, OMG YES!!!!!!!!!!, no, it was this is great, now how can we get the volume down for civilian comforts, call me OCD, but i'm just making this clearer so we don't get some kid quoting you saying, hey can i get a nitro designed to be quite then feeling all dumb, cuz someone links them to a BL system...

the lug
Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10
they're not designed to be loud, thier design makes them inherently loud big differance, its like a F-16, the guy's with PHD's in areospace weren't like hey this is a great plane and you know what would make it even awsomer if we made it super loud, OMG YES!!!!!!!!!!, no, it was this is great, now how can we get the volume down for civilian comforts, call me OCD, but i'm just making this clearer so we don't get some kid quoting you saying, hey can i get a nitro designed to be quite then feeling all dumb, cuz someone links them to a BL system...
This is not a good analogy at all.

Nitro engines are inherently loud, yes, so noise is usually taken for granted, but it is clearly part of the design criteria. We have ultra quiet brushless systems that outperform nitro engines, so why do we bother with our slower and less efficient fuel guzzlers? The answer is realism. People want something that sounds like a screaming engine. With the advent of new brushless technology, nitro would be obsolete if it didn't offer that experience. So yes, being loud is an intentional design aspect; it's largely what the concept of engine powered R/Cs is based on.

Here's an experiment you can try at home. Look over at your Savage, and visualize the pipe it came with. That's one big stinger, right? Think about how it killed your top end performance by providing insufficient backpressure. But damn, was it ever loud. Now why did HPI's engineers decide to use a super loud, performance killing 10mm stinger on their Savage tuned pipe? Hmm...
Old 03-30-2010, 11:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Nitro engines are inherently loud, yes, so noise is usually taken for granted, but it is clearly part of the design criteria. We have ultra quiet brushless systems that outperform nitro engines, so why do we bother with our slower and less efficient fuel guzzlers? The answer is realism. People want something that sounds like a screaming engine. With the advent of new brushless technology, nitro would be obsolete if it didn't offer that experience. So yes, being loud is an intentional design aspect; it's largely what the concept of engine powered R/Cs is based on.

Here's an experiment you can try at home. Look over at your Savage, and visualize the pipe it came with. That's one big stinger, right? Think about how it killed your top end performance by providing insufficient backpressure. But damn, was it ever loud. Now why did HPI's engineers decide to use a super loud, performance killing 10mm stinger on their Savage tuned pipe? Hmm...
realism don't play it IMO
I like nitro cause its more fun than electric for the most part. I like challenges and which ones more challenging to get moving? plugging a battery into an ESC or trying to start up a nitro engine and getting it to move?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
head_hunter

HPI gives you that loud p.o.s. Pipe for the same reason they give you P.O.S. Spur gears and CB's. The $ in the RC world isn't from selling the trucks its the aftermarket parts and upgrades. If you bought a new truck that had all of the good stuff on it how would the company stay in business.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:40 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

I like nitro cause its more fun than electric for the most part. I like challenges and which ones more challenging to get moving? plugging a battery into an ESC or trying to start up a nitro engine and getting it to move?
So you're saying that if nitro offered the same driving experience as electric, you would still run the nitro because it is more difficult to operate? That may be your opinion, but I don't think it coincides with the mentality of most nitro burners.

I know I'm only speaking for myself, but I like things loud. Most of my hobbies involve sound levels well in excess of 100dB, so the noise of a screaming engine fits right in.

HPI gives you that loud p.o.s. Pipe for the same reason they give you P.O.S. Spur gears and CB's. The $ in the RC world isn't from selling the trucks its the aftermarket parts and upgrades. If you bought a new truck that had all of the good stuff on it how would the company stay in business.
If that were the case, how do high end manufacturers like Mugen and Xray stay in business? Their vehicles are nearly perfect out of the box, and almost never break or wear out under normal conditions.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:31 AM
head_hunter

And soooo many people own one right? They price themselfs out of the average RCers league. Here's an experiment you can do at home. Call your LHS and ask them what they make more money on cars or parts?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:29 AM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: head_hunter

And soooo many people own one right? They price themselfs out of the average RCers league. Here's an experiment you can do at home. Call your LHS and ask them what they make more money on cars or parts?
The aftermarket market is much larger than the car/truck market. But most aftermarket parts are not from HPI. So it does not behoove HPI to come out with crap as you speak.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: ChaseMe

I feel the exact same way. I try to wait for a weekday before running it around my house, and even then I'm feeling guilty after about 10min. I've been thinking of trying this out: http://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums...ad.php?t=13861

My exhaust isn't end bleed like this though, so I'm not sure how I'd do it.
LOL that thing looks more like a silencer then a muffler. LOL
Old 03-31-2010, 08:15 AM
warheadforever

So you're saying that if nitro offered the same driving experience as electric, you would still run the nitro because it is more difficult to operate? That may be your opinion, but I don't think it coincides with the mentality of most nitro burners.

I know I'm only speaking for myself, but I like things loud. Most of my hobbies involve sound levels well in excess of 100dB, so the noise of a screaming engine fits right in.
Get a R&B logic Duel stinger....that is if you can stand the treble of the pipe, like a Strat, the pipe is so treblely that with out ear protection, it hurts to be around
Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I have to agree. Nitro is alot more fun than electric. I like the tuning and the tinkering. And by the way the stock pipe on the Savage really is not that loud. My Jato with an aftermarket pipe is way louder than my savage. I hwve also seen some pretty loud brushless sytems also. Those 70, 80, 90mph brushless cars and trucks are far from being quiet.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:09 AM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

I hwve also seen some pretty loud brushless sytems also. Those 70, 80, 90mph brushless cars and trucks are far from being quiet.
Correct, my Tekin powered, all metal geared Savage is far from quiet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.