Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Stop the flywheel
22.00%
Plug the exhaust
32.00%
Pinch the fuel line
32.00%
Run it out of gas
14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

How do you stop your engine??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Shawnlh
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you stop your engine??

I would like to see how the majority of you stop your engines, and let's here your opinions on why you do it your way.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: How do you stop your engine??

There are 4 ways to stop an engine.

1. Pinch the fuel line.
2. Cover the carb or airfilter.
3. Plug the exhaust.
4. Stop the flywheel.

1 - This is a popular method but not recommended. When using this method, you are starving the engine of fuel, which causes it to stop running. The problem is that you are also starving it of lubrication and causing it to run lean before quitting. This is hard on the engine, as it creates wear and tear prior to the stall. Other than number 4, this is the least stressful way to stop an engine.

2 - This method stops the engine by eliminating air intake. This method is also not good for the engine as it floods the engine out until it stalls. By doing this, you create massive amounts of compression in the engine and can blow seals, gaskets, or bend the connecting rod.

3 - This method stops the engine the by preventing exhaust from exiting the combustion chamber, essentially forcing the engine to quit running due to an increase in compression so high, that the rotating mass of the piston can no longer overcome it. Needless to say, this is terrible on an engine, and the worst way to stop it.

4 - Stopping the engine this way is the best method. It quits running to to the load increasing beyond the capacity of the engine. While slightly hard on the internals, it is no where near as damaging as the previous three ways.

Obviously, I use method number 4. If you have a Tmaxx or other vehicle that doesn't have an accessible carb, then the first way is the next best.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:42 PM
ICrashThings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5. Crash it into a tree

6. Crash it into a mailbox

7. Make it blow up

Or if u are like me, if i pull all the way back on my trigger (reverse wise) the truck shuts off...i like this way.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8. Flip it upside down (nitro)

9. Use the kill switch (large scale gas/oil mix cars)
Old 03-03-2004, 05:27 PM
ericheller

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

8. Flip it upside down (nitro)

9. Use the kill switch (large scale gas/oil mix cars)
fliping it upside down does the same as piching the fuel line, except you will most likely get fuel in the pipe through the vacume line.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I don't have a vehicle, but can't you set throttle trim to maximim negative? Like killing the engine on an airplane? Essentially you are just starving the engine out of air AND fuel at the same time...

Is it not a way to stop the engine?
Old 03-03-2004, 09:02 PM
BOOCAKE4U

the problem with that is it would kill the engine everytime you hit the brakes because of how the linkage is setup (applying the brakes pulls the throttle linkage back past the idle position)

where is the "jump it into a large body of water" option??? that always works for me
Old 03-03-2004, 10:05 PM
drink man

that stop'd mine WATER 3ft deep
Old 03-04-2004, 01:04 AM
raceme

yea stoping the flywheel...hmm what would you use besides your shoes... a pink eraser and wedge it between the chassis and flywheel or stickk or whatever. i dont really have a problem stopin it by pinchin the fuel line..and when covering the carb it shuts the engine almost instantly and i dont get how that would flood the engine... not going against you guys but i juss dont see it really damaging(sp) the engine
Old 03-04-2004, 05:51 AM
BOOCAKE4U

i use the butt end of my cheapo ofna plug warmer (the red nylon one)...could also use the handle of your tuning screwdriver
Old 03-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Nitroaddict

ORIGINAL: raceme
i dont really have a problem stopin it by pinchin the fuel line..and when covering the carb it shuts the engine almost instantly and i dont get how that would flood the engine... not going against you guys but i juss dont see it really damaging(sp) the engine
Even at idle, the piston in a nitro engine is going up and down 160 times per second. When you cover the carb, for the .5 - 1 seconds the engine runs before quitting, you are gourging the combustion chamber with fuel. This causes extreme stress on all the parts, but mostly on the con rod.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:52 AM
RobH

I run my idle pretty low as do other people. I've seen people land land on the pipes on the track and flame out. It really doesn't take a lot to stop the flywheel at idle. The end of a screw driver, an old igniter, stick of wood or even just the tip of your shoe should stop the engine pretty easy.

I personally think stopping the flywheel is the best way. Pinching the fuel line leans the engine. Plugging the carb opening is kind of hard when you've zip-tied the air filter on with all your might to prevent air leaks. Plugging the stinger will leave you will circle shaped burns on your fingers and you don't always have a rag or a pair of gloves to use.

This is also the way all the people at our track stop their engines.

-RobH
Old 03-04-2004, 04:17 PM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

Well heres a question...

What is the least destructive way to stop an engine at full throttle when a runaway happends? This has happend to my friend a few times when he was first starting out and he would be able to catch his car but with the body on and all, he had to act fast so he plugged the stinger with his finger. I know any way would be bad but whats the best way (not including plugging the air filter)?
Old 03-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Nitroaddict

If the car is properly equipped with a failsafe and a throttle return spring, you shouldn't have runaway's. But in any case, the best way to stop the engine, even at high RPM is to just lightly tap the flywheel with the bottom of your shoe. Again, in the case of a runaway, stopping the engine is paramount - so any method is better than no method. This is just the way which is least likely to cause damage.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:26 PM
ericheller

ORIGINAL: CaNaDiAnRaCeR

Well heres a question...

What is the least destructive way to stop an engine at full throttle when a runaway happends? This has happend to my friend a few times when he was first starting out and he would be able to catch his car but with the body on and all, he had to act fast so he plugged the stinger with his finger. I know any way would be bad but whats the best way (not including plugging the air filter)?
how about moving the throttle servo back to idle manually then stop the flywheel?
Old 03-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Nitroaddict

Eric - If using standard servos, there is a strong possibilty that you will strip out the gears in the servo by doing that. If using hit-torque servos, you won't be able to move them by hand if the TX is on.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:39 PM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

I would also like to add that in that case, the engine is at full throttle with the wheels off the ground so if he took the body off then shut off the TX or RX the engine would probably break. I'm happy to tell you he invested in a failsafe.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:28 PM
IhrtTamiya

duratrax tells you to stop the engine by plugging the line.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:34 PM
ericheller

ORIGINAL: Nitroaddict

Eric - If using standard servos, there is a strong possibilty that you will strip out the gears in the servo by doing that. If using hit-torque servos, you won't be able to move them by hand if the TX is on.
well i guess you would have to turn off the radio, luckily for me, i have metal gear servos, so i dont think theyll strip. or instead if you have a spring on the linkage, you could just push the throttle arm back to idle with your hand. and ya im guessing the engine would over rev if you tryed to take off the body. failsafes are a good investment.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Goku
My Feedback: (3)

What?!!

There are other ways to stop an engine besides yanking out the glow plug?????

Old 03-05-2004, 02:03 AM
bmgbeetle

Hit brakes, it idles very low, then touch the flywheel with your finger. It doesn't hurt, the torque it's producing at sub 3k rpms is minimal. At first I was afraid to touch it, so I used a stick or the edge of the track barrier. I tried it once, works fine, and is the least harmful to the engine. Another option, should you wuss out, unscrew the plug till it looses compretion and quits...
Old 03-05-2004, 02:33 AM
kwong2001
My Feedback: (2)

Well I just plug up the exhaust. That's the way I was taught a n00b.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Yea, but about the throttle trim, once you set it to full negative, the engine quits, right, but next time u use it you push it back up to normal

Then it wouldnt die on brakes

Not arguing, i just dont get how normally running you hit the brakes and the engine quits with your throttle trim at normal

To me I believe if this was possible it would be the BEST way to stop them expensive engines.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Nitroaddict

yub - when the brakes apply, they also close the carb as far as it will go. If you set it up as you say, then when the brakes are applies, the carb would close all the way and shut the engine down. Try it if you want to see how this works.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:36 PM
ericheller

doing this is about the same as plugging the intake with you thumb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.