Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Missles

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 09:57 PM
aboveground

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missles

Does anyone know where I can buy some air-to -air missles for my F-15 Century Jet? Barry
Old 11-15-2003, 10:27 PM
Balsa Master

Default RE: Missles

make them... you can order small paper tubes for rockets and nosecones from estes. note that is illigle to fire them off you plane.
recomend covering missiles in epoxy to avaid exause from eating away paper. use balsa for fins and cannards.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:37 PM
higheronnitro

Ex soviet bloc countries or the Middle east would probably be your best bet!!
Why, does you flying site have a problem with pigeons?
Old 11-16-2003, 12:27 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

LOL,,,I like that
Old 11-16-2003, 01:03 PM
aboveground

Thank You for your response. I was hoping somebody would sell actual scale rockets or missiles. Any ideas. Barry
Old 11-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wet blanket statement follows:
You want to fire model rockets which will be unguided, off a model airplane.
1. Any incident which arises from this activity can be subject to civil/criminal prosecution as it is in no way sanctioned by the AMA, which will be noted by any other insurance carrier which might become involved.
Possible end results range from accidental discharge of the rocket in the pitsinto someone to creating a personnel injury accident when the projectile impacts at some undesginatable location.
2. If you have to ask the question, you lack the experience and skill to do the activity.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:53 PM
CafeenMan

He didn't say he wants to fire them. I assumed he meant he wanted them for effect.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:31 PM
Tall Paul

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

He didn't say he wants to fire them. I assumed he meant he wanted them for effect.
Granted. That's another bag of snakes.
If the plane is complete, the lower wing must be altered. Any chord-wise cut in the wing skin for a pylon would terminate the carry-thru ability of the skin for wing loads. As the lower skin is stressed most often and highly, the better course would be to construct a new wing, with the structure altered to handle the positioning and loads of the pylons and fake missiles.
Such things then become more hassle. Keeping them on at all. And noticing when and where they fall off. (They will fall off!)
Underwing attachments get in the way when transporting the model, and are subject to ground strikes when taking off and landing.
If the plane is intended for upper level scale competition, do it. Otherwise, it's not worth the effort.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:15 PM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

A D size rocket engine rigged inside a PVC pipe with a quarter dynamite next to it, then go to radio shack and get an infrared sensor and adjust the sensitivity to infinite. Presto, a mini sidewinder!!!!!

I AM KIDDING!

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Balsa Master

knock knock... look the FAA... wonder what theire doing at YOUR door?? he he

i really hope that you are kidding, else your in for a LOT of hurt since that 1/4 dymaite wont even drop a sand castel. and your probably gonna be on the FAA lookout list for life (that is the life you have after the 25 years min you do in federal...)

not to mention a D' engine is what 4lbs for .6 seconds or somthing... your not going to move the infared sensor much less the PVC...

-balsa
Tripolii level 3- note that if you have never heard of this then drop the idea of launching anything. especialy off a plane.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:35 PM
Combat Addict

May I recomend bombs instead? Plus the AMA is antiprojectile. You will not be covered.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:07 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I must admit I helped a friend do it. I wont give to many details for fear someone will follow our footsteps and get hurt. The rockets were homemade from cardboard tubes and balsa.The motor was Estes. I don't know the number of it. It was about 1/2" around.
They were wing tip mounted on a FA-18 Hornet. Scratch built with a .75 pusher. It looked cool on the ground but didn't work very well. We went to the airport instead of the field. The Hornet would not fly off anything less than ashphalt. The prop would dig in if the plane bounced or rotated to rapidly. There was a safety switch on the retracts. The rockets would not arm unless the gear was up. After a few minutes in the air the call was made. The left rocket went 20' in front of the plane and spiralled in. The right one we never saw. These thing were pretty small and hard to see. The project was scratched after that. PLEASE don't try this. It was not the smartest thing we've ever done. I also know of some guys who dropped bombs at a neighboring club. This was 100 times more dangerous than what we did.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Combat Addict

Not explosive bombs, ones filled with flour or sand so they make a nice poof. Fun to watch.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Tall Paul

Friend of mine had "bomb drop" as a points option on his flight plan sheet at a scale contest.
Flying a Fokker Eindecker...
Anyway, he takes off, does the mandatory manuvers, and suddenly recalls the bomb is IN HIS PANTS POCKET!
Can't afford to lose the points, so he flies out there, calls the manuver. The judge can't see the bomb fall, but what the hey, probably just too far away to see it. Buddy lands.. No bomb, it must have dropped, right?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Combat Addict

lol Can't believe the judge wouldn't see the bomb not drop. But it is believeable.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:08 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

2. If you have to ask the question, you lack the experience and skill to do the activity
Although I don't advise shooting missles from a plane. Your statement is totaly crazy. How can you gain experience and skill w/o asking questions? You gain experience and skill by asking questions, experimenting, and practicing. Asking questions is a part of learning. Correct? I never knew how to build a RC Heli, but I built 2. Actually 1 1/2. Still need to paint the fuse for my 222. But I built the mechanics by asking questions, and following the directions. Maybe I misinterpreted your statement. But to me it just doesn't make sense.
Joe
Old 11-18-2003, 12:32 AM
Tall Paul

For subjects like this, which are way past novice level, one's experience alone should be sufficient to lead to the quashing of advanced ideas like this one at the git-go.
When you get the hands-on experience to do this, note Balsa Master, who has that experience, says "Don't do it!"
I'm sure all of us have thought of this at one time or another, but this idea in particular is fraught with peril, for the inexperienced user, and those whose lives can be affected due to that inexperience.
Anyone's right to have "fun" stops before anyone else goes to the ER because of a preventable mishap.. prevention being Don't do it!
daveopam has done it, and also advises Don't do it!
Old 11-18-2003, 12:50 AM
Tall Paul

ORIGINAL: Combat Addict

lol Can't believe the judge wouldn't see the bomb not drop. But it is believeable.
I lost this right horizontal in flight, and didn't notice it fall off. The plane "looked funny".. made a close pass and noted the part was gone.
Fortunately the pushrod attached to the other side.
I found the horizontal not all that far away..
Most of us "tunnel-vision in" on the plane, and relatively large parts can fall off without being noticed, unless they flash and catch our eye close to the plane.
I found a wheel pant and wheel that had fallen off a large pattern plane, but wasn't missed until the plane landed.
(I was out trying to find a prop/spinner I'd lost, and the pattern flier came out to look for his piece.. I saw it, and said "How much it worth?"... he said "20 bux.". I bent over and picked it up, and "thanks".. He said a bad word! I gave it to him free of charge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13661.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	75532  
Old 11-18-2003, 02:26 AM
CafeenMan

Tall Paul is absolutely right. I've lost a few hatches off my planes and for the most part I never saw them fall. The few times I did was because of a glint of the covering.

A friend of mine had the rubber bands disintegrate on his parasol. We did see the wing come off. I guess it's not a problem if the parts are fairly large.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:52 PM
Combat Addict

I guess I could see that. I lost an exaust deflector once, never noticed it until I put the plane back on the table. Ok I can see that now, but still a judge. Quite interesting
Old 12-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Ron Daniels

I was speaking with a friend of mine about a related subject. Smoke pots for electric airplanes.

He is one of the top display pilots in the US, and the AMA said "no, absolutely not" to his request for permission to use smoke pots on an airplane during a demonstration.

If the AMA says no to the best pilots, I don't imagine they will support any such activity among lesser pilots.

After losing a few planes to getting " radio hit" at busy events, over the last few years, my desire to shoot rockets off of my Typhoons and Tempests has definitely waned.

Just too risky.

If you must drop stuff, drop stuff with streamers or parachutes. Easier to see, much safer.

Ron Daniels
Old 12-13-2003, 06:29 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....Judge to pilot....."Excuse me sir, but is that a bomb in your pocket, or are you just happy with the score I gave you?"

I know.....dat's bad....

Gary
Old 12-13-2003, 07:12 PM
tim thompson

And we wonder why the general public thinks were nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2003, 07:35 PM
Combat Addict

what do you mean thinks?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:51 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Back to the original question,
the F-15 carries its AIM-7 Sparrows on the lower fuselage corners, and those would be enough for "effect" without having to chop the wings any for underwing hard points.

Jesse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.