Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX-7 Test Results on my F-16, Install pictures add for my F-16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX-7 Test Results on my F-16, Install pictures add for my F-16

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DX-7 Test Results on my F-16, Install pictures add for my F-16

I think others will be interested so I am posting some of my results so far.

I have a DX-7 installed on my Tamjets F-16 and have done the preliminary setup and range testing. The manual calls for a range of 30 paces with the bind button depressed. I was able to obtain 65-70 paces on 3 quadrants of the range check, from the front and both sides. The range on the 4th quadrant from the rear, which will probably always be less since the turbine is basically blocking the AR7000 receivers mounted at the very front of the fuselage, still checked at 45 paces which is still 50% higher than the recommended 30 paces.

The range was exactly the same whether the engine was running at full throttle, idle or the engine was off. I guess what this means is that the receiver is not seeing any RF noise at all which is what I have been told to expect on 2.4 Ghz. I think this is the first time I have not seen some type of reduction in range (however slight) while the engine is running compared to an engine off state.

I would definitely recommend initially checking on all quadrants and especially from the rear since this seems to be the worst case scenario. I will be flying it soon and let everyone know how it goes...Gary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31825.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	586883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84801.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	586884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53576.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	586885  
Old 01-01-2007, 11:35 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: DX-7 Test Results on my F-16

Gary,

I've been thinking about putting my Dx-7 on my tam's f-16 as well. Of note, I could not pass a range check with the antenna in the airplane, so I had to install a base loaded antenna.

I hope to hear how it goes with you especially doing the brake mix.

Raf
Old 01-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Gary Jefferson

Raf, when I used the 72Mhz receiver I was also unable to obtain a good range check with the antenna inside the F-16 and used an external whip. I did not like the looks of it sticking out and am very pleased that I no no longer see the antenna outside the plane.

As far as the brakes, simply program them on Aux.2 slaved to the down elevator (as I am sure you know) using one of the Jetronic brake valves. It is totally proportional and worked very well when I was taxi testing the other day. There are even enough channels on the DX7 to use Aux.1 for the steering channel which allows easy adjustment from the radio. Gary
Old 01-01-2007, 01:10 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Gary,
Are you using "tailerons"? Can you list out the functions you use? On my Reaction 44 I'm using the following setup:
Ail on Y harness
Ele W/ dn for brake
ECU
Rud
Gear
Flaps on y harness using 3 postion switch
Steering

Dave
Old 01-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Gary Jefferson

Dave, yes it has tailerons.

Thro
Ail
Elev
Rudd
Gear
Steering -Aux1
Brakes - Aux2

Anything beyond this obviously needs y-cables, matchboxes or a Powerbox which is what I will be using on my Bandit ARF.

I like the Powerbox because it gives battery and switch redundancy, and the ability to program three of the channels which I typicaly use for ailerons, elevators, and flaps or possibly rudders if your plane has two like my F-18. Only 3 of the powerbox channels are programmable so if you have two rudders you may still need one matchbox...Gary
Old 01-01-2007, 02:34 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres a video of the system being installed in a prop plane.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/gallery/...hp?photo=18258
Old 01-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX-7 Test Results on my F-16, Install pictures add for my F-16

Gary if you get some extra time please do a full distance Real Range Check, baseline and powered up all quadrants! I would think there would be a way/place to mount the remote receiver so nothing in your F-16 would blank out a clear signal.

I also have the new DX7 and will do the Real Range check as soon as I get it installed. I'm going to first install it in a gas or nitro powered plane as I don't think I can configure it channel wise.. to fly my BobCat. Anyway the button pushing range check doesn't really tell us much. With a friend do the 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile check. Actually there have been reports of almost a mile. If that is really true the SSS technology for sure has arrived and there will be no turning back! Obviously the major hurtle remaining is 10, 12, 14 channels.
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
rcguy!

Flew my DX7 to 3,075 feet above the ground without losing control of it. I used an "How High?' module to measure it. No guessing here! To put it in perspective, that would be like flying a BobCat (or Flash) at 200MPH for a full 10 seconds after it passed by you before turning. Think about it! The DX7 has range! Obviously it won't be the radio of choice for a twin turbined A-10.

Dave
Old 01-01-2007, 09:00 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Gary,

I'm interested in knowing how the jet will respond once you touch down.

As I'm sure you know, this little jem can come in with more speed (the time it needs the brakes most! ) and it can come in real slow with the nose up (I've been able to not need brakes on these type of landings). I'm gonna find out how it behaves, but I was wondering what a "faster than perfect touch down" would respond with down elevator since you're clearly ahead of me in the install!

I suspect it'll stick instead of pulling up the rear of the plane with down elevator. I'll be awaiting your posts![&:]

Raf
Old 01-01-2007, 09:03 PM
doug l

hi dave;
got 2 systems and 6 extra receivers from horizon..

inst a system in my new storm jet.
also bound an extra rec. to that system..model #1..2 receivers give you a total of 14 out puts...
no more y harness for main controls..lots of extra out puts for anything you can think of..
very easy radio to program..

range...ha..stand at end of runway
and fly down to first taxi way..
5100 ft and come back..
no problem...
these guys just need to enjoy...
dont trouble shoot it to death and try to re-invent the wheel...
Old 01-01-2007, 09:08 PM
doug l

Old 01-01-2007, 09:09 PM
doug l

Old 01-01-2007, 09:31 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: dougl

hi dave;
got 2 systems and 6 extra receivers from horizon..

inst a system in my new storm jet.
also bound an extra rec. to that system..model #1..2 receivers give you a total of 14 out puts...
no more y harness for main controls..lots of extra out puts for anything you can think of..
very easy radio to program..

range...ha..stand at end of runway
and fly down to first taxi way..
5100 ft and come back..
no problem...
these guys just need to enjoy...
dont trouble shoot it to death and try to re-invent the wheel...
Dougl,
Not sure I understand the thought process of adding a $100USD receiver to eliminate $10USD in a Y harness? Give me an example of a 4 servo wing, single servo elevator, single servo rudder, single servo retracts, single servo steering, and single servo brakes. Help me understand please.

Dave
Old 01-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Gary Jefferson

Raf, you can land either of Tam's F-16's at very fast speeds with the brakes set to full and they will stick like glue to the runway once it touches down. I use to land the balsa version like I was doing a carrier landing most of the time and with the brakes preset it would be stopped in 75 feet. Using down elevator should not be any different (I used to use it on my Kangaroo's and there were many people that said it would never work because of the way Kangaroo's bounce sometimes) but once the F-16 is on the ground adding down elevator is only going to increase the braking effect in my opinion with both of the large stabs now deflecting air. It will simply force the nose down even more I suppose, not that it is needed because Tams brakes work so well.

A substantial amount of up elevator is required for the composite F-16 on landing approach and all the way to touchdown so it is unlikely you will ever use any down elevator until the plane is actually on the ground, but I do have setup mine to disable the brakes with the gear switch in the up position while flying so as not to bleed air from the tanks.

BTW, I performed braking tests the other day at about 35-40 mph using the down elevator and it acted no differently than when I use a slider. I actually like it better because you are able to control the elevator stick better and operate the brake in a much more proportional manner for smoother stops...Gary
Old 01-01-2007, 09:54 PM
doug l

hi dave
i split airplane in two..one side to one rec. and one to other..
no y,s are jst a bonus to me.
what i ment was that other than primary flt controlls..the other outputs i put extra servos in and set to move with mixing or one of three positions on a switch or one of two on the aux 1..
the storm is set up for elevons..
put canards on and seperated them so they operate as elevators and ailerons..seperate servos...
still playing...got to get it all figured out to use on my L-1011 for spoilers and leading edge devises...
Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: dougl

hi dave
i split airplane in two..one side to one rec. and one to other..
no y,s are jst a bonus to me.
what i ment was that other than primary flt controlls..the other outputs i put extra servos in and set to move with mixing or one of three positions on a switch or one of two on the aux 1..
the storm is set up for elevons..
put canards on and seperated them so they operate as elevators and ailerons..seperate servos...
still playing...got to get it all figured out to use on my L-1011 for spoilers and leading edge devises...
Dougl,
Makes more sense now. Using 2 Rx's as a "backup" system AND port expander.
Sorry, Gary...Didn't mean to off topic your thread!

Thanks!
Dave
Old 01-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Gary Jefferson

Doug, when I first read your post I thought it was a great idea but in most cases, at least for jets, you need additional channels so you can independently adjust travel and endpoints for two aileron servos, two elevator servos, two flap servos, etc. You do this so you can dial in each individual servo in the plane for the best flight performance. I don't think that is possible by simply adding a second receiver because although you will have 14 outputs you still only have 7 channels to run them from and that is still only 7 control points. I think that is correct or maybe I am missing something? Gary
Old 01-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Gary Jefferson

Lee, I would like to help on the full range check but I really don't have a place I can do something like that anywhere near my house and provide any sort of accurate information. Personally, I am of the opinion that a great deal of testing has already been performed by people much more knowledgable than myself. I know this because I have talked to some of them personally.

Having had a few range issues on 72 Mhz with some of my jets in the past I think I will be very satisfied with the Spectrum. Like I said in my earlier post, there was absolutely no RF noise issue with the engine running at full power on the F-16 and that was a first for me in the 6 years I have now been flying turbine jets.

With the old 72Mhz receiver installed in the F-16 and the antenna routed down the fuselage I had almost no range at all, and while adding an external antenna resolved the problem, I simply could not stand the way it looked on my scale airplane. On top of that I still had to set the F-16 up off of the ground (even with the external antenna) to get the range to check satisfactorily.

With the 2.4 Ghz I did all of the radio checks with the plane sitting on the ground and exceeded the recommended range of 30 paces by 50% at the worst case in back of the plane. I am satisfied it will work well!!! Gary
Old 01-01-2007, 11:00 PM
doug l

hi gary
i only use hitec dig. servos and their servo controller..
all servos are set for speed.. center..endpoints..
like the nose steering in one and the rudder in the other..adjust to any thing you want..all your aux..5/6/7..one servo in each..total of 6 and you canset any where you want and to activate at any point that the switches are moved to..at the start..middle or end .
Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Gary Jefferson

Doug, that makes sense now and I like the idea. Kinda makes me wish I used Hitec servos!! Instead I have to use a $400.00 Powerbox...Gary
Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Gary , sorry to stray from the subject ,but what servos are you using on you Tam F-16 , It looks great! Jack.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Gary Jefferson

Jack, not a problem. The servos are 8611's. You really only need 9411's which I had installed but I needed them for another jet so I replaced them with a couple of spare 8611's. There's enough room to mount whatever you may have laying around. Gary
Old 01-02-2007, 09:22 PM
tamjets

Beside any good standard servo.
For the rudder. Use JR 3421 or Hitec 5125.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Silver182

ORIGINAL: Gary Jefferson

Lee, I would like to help on the full range check but I really don't have a place I can do something like that anywhere near my house and provide any sort of accurate information. Personally, I am of the opinion that a great deal of testing has already been performed by people much more knowledgable than myself. I know this because I have talked to some of them personally.

Having had a few range issues on 72 Mhz with some of my jets in the past I think I will be very satisfied with the Spectrum. Like I said in my earlier post, there was absolutely no RF noise issue with the engine running at full power on the F-16 and that was a first for me in the 6 years I have now been flying turbine jets.

With the old 72Mhz receiver installed in the F-16 and the antenna routed down the fuselage I had almost no range at all, and while adding an external antenna resolved the problem, I simply could not stand the way it looked on my scale airplane. On top of that I still had to set the F-16 up off of the ground (even with the external antenna) to get the range to check satisfactorily.

With the 2.4 Ghz I did all of the radio checks with the plane sitting on the ground and exceeded the recommended range of 30 paces by 50% at the worst case in back of the plane. I am satisfied it will work well!!! Gary
Hi Gary,
I understand the problems and the logistics of a Real Range Check all too well! Just wanted to see if you could do it, as you are one of the first few of us to actually install the DX7 in a turbine powered Jet.

I agree with you the technology seems to be just about perfect. The fact that you are seeing zero degradation in range between baseline and powered up is great news, but you did mention sensitivity to direction!

Keep in mind that is precisely why the remote receiver design change between the DX6 and DX7 systems. Are you aware SSS research at the modeler / designer level has been on going for several years? The major glitch history has been directional dead spots!

If I were you I would try to find a different receiver location, and or receiver antenna orientation in your F-16 that would eliminate any noticeable sensitivity to direction doing whatever kind of range check you do! I would do that before blasting off! I'm sorry I just don't trust that seemingly simple button pushing range check!! I don't care who says that makes it good to go! Remember at the end of the day it's your money!
Good luck... and please keep us posted.
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099

Old 01-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Mark H

Hi Gary you mention using a power box with the Dx7 is it ok and has it been tested and proved ok to use one of these as i am just looking to do my F104 with Dx7 for Florida jets in feb march 07 and i hate doing the 35mhz to 72Mhz conversion i have a Dx7 and powerbox 40 24 duralite system please let me know if you have any answers.
Thanks Mark H team Hammer Graupner Booster 160 in star fighter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34140.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	590734  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.