Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Wild Hare Extra 260 Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:10 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild Hare Extra 260 Pictures

Ok here are some pictures..the long awaited ones First off, thanks to Tom from WH for the awesome plane. Would also like to thank Tony from Dalton Aviation for the awesome and fast job building it, and of course Gene from Troy Built Models for all the goodies to keep and light and fly nice. Here is the setup:

WH Extra 260
DA 100 with Stock mufflers
NX 27x10 Prop
CF Spinner from TBM
HS 5245 MG for throttle
4x HS 5945 MG For Ailerons
2x HS 5945 MG for Elevators
2x HS 5925 MG for Rudder (wow really fast servos)
3x Troy Built Models 2800mah Lithium Ion batteries
2x 6v Regulators
1x 5.4v Regulators
3xMPI heavy duty Switches with Charge Jack
D size Aircraft International Pilot
Dash panel from GP Christen Eagle (applied to cardboard and cut to fit- works well and is light and cheap!)
Kavan lightweight wheels from TBM

Have some CF gear which I will put on. Its for a 35% Carden Edge, but will work. Anyone know of gear meant for this plane that is CF or Fiberglass?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85598.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	267088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75597.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	267089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91985.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	267090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd88859.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	267091  
Old 05-04-2005, 10:26 PM
airborneSGT

Default RE: Wild Hare Extra 260 Pictures

Here are some more pictures. Tony built 99% of it, I did the details like the Canopy, pilot, rudder servos..ect. Anyone building the red one, maybe even the blue one I have a tip for the canopy. Since they dont come pre-painted use some matching electrical or covering trim tape to outline the canopy. I found that just use canopy glue and not doing this made a mess!! I had to pull the canopy, recover the hatch cover around where the glue got dry, and clean off the stuff form the canopy. I might add a matchbox for the rudder servos if I cant get a hold of a programmer. No chatter with the twin rudder servos at nuetral, but when I give it throw either way it starts to make some noise.

Tom whats the rates in inches for high and low rates? I cant find my degree throw meter. I have the elevators set to 1" up and down for elevator and a little more for ailerons and rudder.

Also I had to make my horizontal stabs removeable. I made this easy with the use of dubro safety links. Works perfect and Tony gave me some rudder and stab covers. Rounded off with an Airwild Wing bag (simply amazing wingbag from TBM). Now when the tornado warnings and severe thunder storm warnings go away I will fly it.

Future things I might add are smoke, and maybe a different prop. I made some baffling with cardboard painted the same color as the cowl. See how it flies with the current baffle and I might modify it. You could get away with only one cut out for the spark plugs using a DA 100. I also just use a manual choke on mine.

Going to get some nice graphics made up. Thinking american flags and some nice sharks teeth for the cowl. Of course a POW/MIA and 82nd Airborne Sticker!

Name:	Yv66190.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	267095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13516.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	267096  
Old 05-04-2005, 11:32 PM
gixxer01

Hey airborne, hows life @ Fayettenam? I am sure you have heard that before, been to Pope AFB a couple of times myself...

Anyhow, you said rudder servos, as in more than one in the tail. I am curious, how did you set it up so the servos are not fighting each other? I only ask because when you set up a pull pull bellcrank for the rudder the bellcrank has like 1/4 offset, and I noticed in teh picture that you have a straight arm. if you have a servo on both sides, how do they not fight each other without an offset servo arm? Maybe the 1/4 offset is because the cables cross in the fuse, I dunno...

BTW, good on you for having Dalton put it all together. must have been pretty expensive. Nice plane.

Tim
Old 05-04-2005, 11:59 PM
airborneSGT

Just moved back to FL actually. Yeah I am either going to use a matchbox or program the servos to elimate the servos fighting each other - or I guess use an offset arm. I never used an offset arm before. When I set them up they are perfect at neutral, and slightly fight each other at either way L or R deflection. So I am sure any of 3 methods will work. Programming probably the easiest and cheapest. Could also use some non digital where they dont center as perfectly. I have the aileron servos just on a Y with no fighting at all. That is in part to Tony doing an awesome job and using some nelson servo arms to get everything perfectly aligned.

Tony is priced really fair. In all honesty I could have done it myself, but my barracks room was too small for that. With my other planes it was a struggle because my room was so small. Plus Tony does awesome work, is reliable, and I could have my plane shipped to him easily.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:04 AM
gixxer01

I just had a thought. SWB sells offset double sided servo arms, you could get two and cut one side off. But hwo knows, somebody with a tad more knowledge might have a better solution.

You're back in Fla, you stationed @ Macdill in Tampa now? That's where I am now...

Tim
Old 05-05-2005, 12:10 AM
airborneSGT

No I am statoined at Ft. Living Room. Army could not get me Macdill, or 6th RTB so I decided to get out. I am on terminal leave now. 40 more days of paid vacation!

Im sure programming them to have a little more tolerance will fix it. Thats what the matchbox would do. I dont like adding any extras if I dont have to. I spent a lot of money and time trying to keep it light

Macdill is nice, been there a few times. After Afghanistan and Iraq. I fly sometimes at SPARKS.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:28 AM
gixxer01

Too bad their runway is like a mountain road though...
Old 05-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Nice looking plane. You will like it.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:58 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a way tosave that $70 for the matchbox.

Hook the two servos up to two channels (this assumes you have a good computer radio like a Futaba 9c or equivalent). Set up the rudder the way you like it with only 1 pushrod attached.

Now create a mix to the second channel. Set up the center point (hands off) mechanically so that it matches exactly. Then set up the end points with ATV to match. You can use a mah meter to check for binding, current consumption will go up when the servos are fighting each other.

If you have the center and both ends matched you will be very close to perfect. Be sure the geometry of the two sides is exactly the same, same length on the rudder horn, pivot is on the hinge line, servo arm exactly 90 degrees to the pushrod at idle.

TF
Old 05-05-2005, 12:03 PM
airborneSGT

Tom,

I have the 9C so it should not be a problem. I dont have the PCM RX yet so I will wait for that to setup that mix. Should not be a problem. Thinking programming them on the setup I have now could work. I will try that out tonight. Not surprising the weather today is still Thunderstorms and windy.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Thats what you get for having 40 days of paid vacation.....
Old 05-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Bob101

Tom whats the rates in inches for high and low rates? I cant find my degree throw meter. I have the elevators set to 1" up and down for elevator and a little more for ailerons and rudder.

If you can tell me the exact distance from the hingle line (pivot point) to the spot your measuring on the surface and what degrees you want I can tell you what the degrees translate out to in inches, on the arc and the chord (for measuring either with a throw measure or a ruler either way).
Old 05-06-2005, 04:21 PM
airborneSGT

I flew it for the first time today. All I have to say is wow! Such a smooth airplane. It did not need any trim at all to track perfectly straight. I was so very pleased at how well it flew. The DA 100 was not putting out its full potential, so I will have to work on that a little. I called DA and they said to richen up the low end but not to touch the hi end. I dont think that the DA 100 is too much engnie, I found it the perfect combination. Then again, I like a lot of power on everything I fly. I think this has become my favorite plane hands down. Tom did such an awesome job on this thing. Should be awesome in IMAC. Does 3D also. The wall was easy for me, knife edge will need just a little mixing, snaps a breeze...but more to come once I get the engine dialed in. Here are a few pictures from today. The winds were at a steady 10-11mph so and it handled them fine. Landing was a breeze! I think my CG is a little forward of the range, but it flew fine and did not fall out inverted so I think I am fine.

In my opinion I dont think 100cc's is a waste of engine for this plane. To each his own, but I like having the power of the 100. Balancing was no issue with servos in the tail. I might shift the ignition battery a little more rearward after some more flying.

Name:	Ay73558.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	267875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12039.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	267876  
Old 05-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Very nice indeed!
Let us know how does it weight, if you can[8D]
Daniel
Old 05-07-2005, 04:47 AM
gixxer01

you know, a nice flying plane always makes the maiden a whole lot easier on the pilot these days. Good for you. Where were the pics taken? I know that isn't Sparks...

Tim
Old 05-07-2005, 04:58 PM
airborneSGT

The field is my club, Gold Coast RC Club in Boca Raton. Here is a picture from my flights today. My DA is running better now. Just hard to get it to hold a hover really well. It just seems to want to pull out. Goosing the throttle helps it a little. It is seriously easy to hover with this plane. The wall is easy too. Well thats just in my opinion.

Name:	Wu62120.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	268304  
Old 05-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Three
My Feedback: (2)

I just received my plane today. Absolutely beautiful airplane, I plan on using a DA 100, any and all advice on balancing would be greatly appreciated. AirborneSGT, what is the length of your standoffs for the motor? I plan on using Hitec 5645's, I've been out of r/c for a while, is there still an issue with those servos?

Phil
Old 05-08-2005, 10:17 PM
airborneSGT

I think the 5645 MG's should be fine. The manual states all the minimums you need. I used the nelson servo arms to get dead center. I Y'd my ailerons together so I didnt need a matchbox. That setup gave me perfect response with the servos not fighting each other at all. I used HS 5945's all around except for the rudder which I used two HS 5925 for speed.

Balance will be no issue so long as you plan on putting all the servos in the tail and move your batteries as far back as possible. I had a tray built as far as could be reached toward the rear of the fuse. The DA 100 is not too much power its just enough! I like being able to take off in a few feet and hover at half throttle. Once it gets broken in it will be even sweeter.

Standoffs are short maybe like 3/4inch or so. I will measure mine tonight and let you know.

What batteries were you planning on using? Use a CF spinner too! You will need to for balancing. I think the fiber glass ones from Bisson would work also.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:43 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Are the ailerons stiff enough to use a single high power servo?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 AM
rctom

I do not approve of a single aileron servo in this plane.

TF
Old 05-09-2005, 12:08 AM
epc
My Feedback: (33)

Tom:

How the 260 compares to the 35% 300 on 3D , I know this plane was designed for precision but I'm interested in 3D.

I really like the idea of using a 3W 75.

Thanks,

epc.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:26 AM
rctom

It's similar but lighter than the 35% plane, very good 3d!

TF
Old 05-09-2005, 06:42 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

What servos are suitable for the ailerons... I'd like to avoid matchboxes and Hitec servos with their current issues (1.04, cracking cases, etc).

How is rudder authority? Sllooowww high alpha knife edge possible? Rolling harriers nice?

What size motor stand-offs for a ZDZ-80?

Thanks for teh info. I'm considering selling the my H9 Edge in favor of this plane. .. haven't decided yet.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Bobby Folsom

Sarge, how much right rudder did you have to use to hold the plane straiight on a verticle upline? In other words, did find that the built-in right thrust is sufficient? I am about to final fit my 260 together and it will be nice to find that the built-in right thrust is sufficient.

Thanks for your input,

Bobby
Old 05-09-2005, 03:41 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: Bobby Folsom

Sarge, how much right rudder did you have to use to hold the plane straiight on a verticle upline? In other words, did find that the built-in right thrust is sufficient?
Bobby:

Many people do not understand the purpose of right thrust. It's not intended to be use as yaw control during aerodynamic flight.

The reason for right thrust is to overcome th etendence to turn left at times when the other controls are not effective, like when you first apply power on takeoff but still have no airspeed. Or when you are at the top of a hammerhead and stalled, the right thrust keeps it pointed straight ahead even though the dudder is not functioning.

On our high performance aereobatic planes the thrust angle has less effect, we have so much power and such large surfaces that the rudder is almost always working if the engine is above an idle.

If the plane pulls left when you pull up into a vertical line or a loop mix in a little right rudder with up elevator, it's much more effective and consistent.

TF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.