Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

MZ 14 vs 12 X

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

MZ 14 vs 12 X

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 AM
Paul Turbine Jet Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MZ 14 vs 12 X

Hi guys been using the MX22 for a long time now and its been great but i'm needing more channels for my jets ( F18 F in particular) .

I have been waiting for the 12 x for so long now that it seems almost like a myth.

I have always been a JR man and i suppose the 12 X was an obvious choice.

...... however

Then there is the MZ14 never considered futaba befor because i own about 40 spectrum receivers and i don't want to replace them all to suit the Futaba radio $$$

However now Futaba has a spectrum module as well [X(].

At this stage i'm going to go with the MZ14 it 2 extra channels and look amazing. but i just want to see what others think

Pro's and cons of both radios ?

Thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83582.gif
Views:	20
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	978080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52287.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	978081  
Old 06-25-2008, 04:22 AM
ViperOneNL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MZ 14 vs 12 X

Paul,

Just a little warning, Spectrum MZ modules (for futaba T14MZ) are 8 channels only!

Futaba's 2.4 Ghz system (FASST) is NOT compatible with the Spectrum systems (different technology)

So if you want to go for a T14MZ you need to buy a T14MS FASST module and a R6014 receiver to use all 14 channel. cant say anything about the JR system other than that I believe that it is also not compatible with the spectrum system and the spectrum module is 8 channels only.

Hope this helps

Mick

(who is very happy with his T14MZ on 2.4 Ghz FASST!)
Old 06-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I had the same decsion to make several months ago since I owned a 10x and had access to a mz14. I decieded to purchase the 12x so that all of my models are on the same TX and I still have my 10x as a spare TX that works as a 9 channel TX with my Spektrum module. They are both good radios manufactures, Futaba's Fasst 14 channel system has been experiencing heat related problems so watch where and how you mount the RX if you go that way. If you really need the extra 2 channels (I did not) than the choice is Futaba.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Angus McDonald

Previousely owned multiplex Evo12, wanted 2.4 looked at Futaba and JR both extensively, both have good features and benefits. I ended up buy the Futaba 14mz, for me it is worth every penny, and I saved every penny to buy it, and would do the same again . Programming is amazing! the touch screen is the best and the 2.4 has been flawless. As for the heat issue, has not been an issue, I guess you just don't let the receiver sit and bake in the sun and you will be good.

Some say there has been signal voltage issues with Futaba and other brand servos, there will be if you use Y harnesses on some, otherwise I have Futaba, JR and Hitec in my jets and gassers and all work perfect.

My 2 cents.

Angus
Old 06-25-2008, 07:10 PM
PowerGrunt

Futaba 14MZ gets my vote hands down Paul
Very quick to set up, endless mixes, servo speeds, condition mode's so you wount look back going FUTABA but if you go JR you will wish you got the 14MZ
The 14MZ can also have the decoder moduals (up to two can be used) which I have used and can expand the radio to 28 channels.
If you want a Aussie version 14MZ set let me know.

cheers Pete
Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As Pete said, you can get up to 26 proportional channels with a 12z or 14 MZ. In fact, you can get more channels that you can find controls for on the front of the transmitter!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: cant say anything about the JR system other than that I believe that it is also not compatible with the spectrum system and the spectrum module is 8 channels only.
JR 2.4 systems are compatible with Spektrum, they share the same technology via a partnership. A Spektrum module in a 10X gives you 9 channels. I have three 9 channel Spektrum recievers in three jets that where set up and flown with a 10X using the module system that I have rebound to our new 12X and have flown.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not sure the expander works with the 6014 receiver. I was speaking with a Team Futaba guy that tried one and it didn't work. I think it required the higher signal voltage.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 AM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

ORIGINAL: Angus McDonald

Some say there has been signal voltage issues with Futaba and other brand servos, there will be if you use Y harnesses on some, otherwise I have Futaba, JR and Hitec in my jets and gassers and all work perfect.
The Y-harness issue is only apparent with certain types of reversing and amplified Y-harnesses...the newer radios have a lower signal amplitude that is incompatible with older (I assume TTL-based) components, including servo reversers, gear sequencers, and some analog servos as well....for both Futaba and JR/Spektrum 2.4 receivers.

Barry
Old 06-26-2008, 02:43 AM
ViperOneNL

ORIGINAL: S_Ellzey

ORIGINAL: cant say anything about the JR system other than that I believe that it is also not compatible with the spectrum system and the spectrum module is 8 channels only.
JR 2.4 systems are compatible with Spektrum, they share the same technology via a partnership. A Spektrum module in a 10X gives you 9 channels. I have three 9 channel Spektrum recievers in three jets that where set up and flown with a 10X using the module system that I have rebound to our new 12X and have flown.
S_Ellzey,

I stand corrected you learn something everyday.

Cheers,

Mick.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Paul Turbine Jet Man

Well it seems the 14 MZ is the one to go for then.

I spoke to someone from Australia who deals in a lot of rc jet stuff and he told me that the MZ 14 can be used with a special spectrum module to get the full 9 ch out of the spectrum ???
He double checked for me and said it can be done???

So im not sure if he has something new or his facts a little wrong ?

I am going to go for the 14 MZ it seems the way to go and i have heard amazing things about the programing ability they have.

I just hope i don't have to throw away a heap of AR9000's and then spend 1000's on getting all new Futaba stuff.

most of my jets can just get by with 9 ch but i'm moving into BIG stuff now and some twins and i know im going to need those 14 channels plus the programing.

Thanks for the comments guys.

JR just lost a customer because they took soooooo long and they haven't got the best radios anymore. but i still love their 8911's just love them.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:37 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

As Pete said, you can get up to 26 proportional channels with a 12z or 14 MZ. In fact, you can get more channels that you can find controls for on the front of the transmitter!
How does this work? Is it like the Weatronic with 20 programable servo outputs even though it only has 10 or 12 "Channels" (i.e.built in Matchbox capabilities)?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 AM
ViperOneNL

No,

The Futaba MPDX are real channel extenders, so you sacrefice one channel and get 8 new ones through the MPDX, you can add two MPDX's on one T14MZ. Basically the 8 proportial channels are multiplexed behind one "original" channel, hence the sacrefice of a channel.

Hope this makes sense in not: RTFM

http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wga...pgm?I=FUTM4158

Cheers,

Mick.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:32 AM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: ViperOneNL

No,

The Futaba MPDX are real channel extenders, so you sacrefice one channel and get 8 new ones through the MPDX, you can add two MPDX's on one T14MZ. Basically the 8 proportial channels are multiplexed behind one "original" channel, hence the sacrefice of a channel.

Cheers,

Mick.
Mick,

Thanks for the explanation. The Futaba channel extender (if I understand it correctly) looks similar to the JR Matchbox but with additional channels/capabilities.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: CraigG

ORIGINAL: ViperOneNL

No,

Cheers,

Mick.
Mick,

Thanks for the explanation. The Futaba channel extender (if I understand it correctly) looks similar to the JR Matchbox but with additional channels/capabilities.

Thanks,

Craig
I think the JR matchbox is more similar to the Futaba MSA-10 which gives you three outputs from one input. You can set endpoints, center and reversing of each output BUT they all activate from one input. The MPDX-1, gives you eight more proportional channels from one channel ot the RX but I believe you can assign eight seperate inputs so all the outputs can operate independently of another.

Marty
Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 AM
B777

This is my opinion, Futaba 14MZ 2.4GHz is the best radio so far. Color touch screen and memory card!! It has far superior features and programming capability over the JR 12X. They are not comparable at all. 12X is more comparable to 12Z but again, the 12Z has the same programming features and capabilities as the 14MZ. my 2c

I own Futaba 14MZ, 12Z and JR 12X, 10X, 9303 all with 72MHz and 2.4G...

B777
Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Roger M

Paul,

Futaba have just anounced a 2.4 module for the MX22 that will give you 12 channels without having to buy a new Tx, but you will need to buy Futaba Rx's. Have a look here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770969

Roger
Old 06-26-2008, 07:52 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As mentioned, the MPDX-1 is nothing like a channel expander, it time multiplexes 8 channels into one. You can't use them for primary flight controls but you can use them for basically everything else. I used them for flaps, nose gear steering, turbine aux control, speedbrake, etc.

And this device will work with PPM receivers, including the Spektrum. So even with an 8 channel Spektrum tx/rx system, you can get 15 proportional channels.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Does anyone know if the 12X software is user upgradeable similar to the 12Z & 14MZ. My guess is that it is not because my post on the good times 12X thread was totally ignored.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Craig B.

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Paul,

JR just lost a customer because they took soooooo long and they haven't got the best radios anymore.
I have always been on JR and have numerous jets on spektrum and jr 2.4 (10x with module). I cannot understand the delays getting the 12x out and am getting very frustrated with the waiting...soo.....I bought a 14mz. To give credit where it is due this seems like a great radio. Awesome programming and much more flexible than the 12x. The 12x does not look much different programming wise to the 9x (which I also own). Why has it taken JR so long to stuff a 9x into a 10x case to give us the 12x?[] I love the slider setup on the 14 mz...FOUR sliders at your finger tips. Are you listening JR???

JR have really lost the plot a bit I think. They are WWAAAAYYYY behind Futaba in the programming stakes and that is coming from a long time dedicated JR user.

I had to buy a Futaba radio to be able to conifgure my radio's trainer port for use on some FPV models. Can't do that even on the new 12x. We are waiting a long time for a radio that is pretty limited in its ability. I hope JR is listening but current events would suggest that is not the case.[] Too little, too late JR!

I think that JR's dominance of the high end radio market is just about over and that the tide will turn quite dramatically. Maybe then they will listen to their customers.

My advice mate is to keep your existing JR stuff and buy the 14mz for your new models.

Craig.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Silver182

Does anyone know if the 12X software is user upgradeable similar to the 12Z & 14MZ. My guess is that it is not because my post on the good times 12X thread was totally ignored.
Someone was mentioning in that thread I believe that a particular function might be added in the next update. You can download the 12X manual and check but I can't imagine they would release their flagship radio without the ability to download updates. I'm sure it's updatable.

Marty
Old 06-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Paul Turbine Jet Man

Well thank you very much everyone for the comments and suggestions its much appreciated.

It’s final …………… MZ 14 it is

The MZ is on order + a spare battery pack + spectrum module and some 14 ch receivers.

JR has really got to look at their future carefully.

Releasing a new radio that was supposed to be released an age ago that that is supposed to be their best yet but is already out dated by something that has been out for quite a while now already ??? not a good marketing strategy JR.

Customers will walk ……. E.g. me and many more by the sounds of it.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 AM
B777

Paul, I hope that you meant Futaba FASST + R6014FS Rxs and not Spektrum system !! [8D]

B777
Old 06-27-2008, 05:05 AM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

As mentioned, the MPDX-1 is nothing like a channel expander, it time multiplexes 8 channels into one. You can't use them for primary flight controls but you can use them for basically everything else. I used them for flaps, nose gear steering, turbine aux control, speedbrake, etc.

And this device will work with PPM receivers, including the Spektrum. So even with an 8 channel Spektrum tx/rx system, you can get 15 proportional channels.
Matt,

Wow. How do you control all these extra channels individually? Are there enough switches/sliders/knobs etc. on the TX? Also, how much control do you have over end-points, reversing etc..?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 06-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Paul Turbine Jet Man

ORIGINAL: B777

Paul, I hope that you meant Futaba FASST + R6014FS Rxs and not Spektrum system !! [8D]

B777

YES i am getting and switching to Futaba FAST.

but i will get the spectrum module as well because i can use it with all of my park fliers / gliders that have heaps of spectrum 2.4's in them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.