Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ultra Flash vs Classic Flash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ultra Flash vs Classic Flash

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Flash vs Classic Flash

Went to order my Flash today and they are out of the scheme I want for the foreseeable future. They do, however, have a new Classic Flash.

Looking for input of the old versus new. Most interested in flying characteristics.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:02 PM
SinCityJets

Default RE: Ultra Flash vs Classic Flash

The classic flash is a great bird, one of the best. The new UF takes it to the next level. For the price difference, wait for the Ultra.

Chad
Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: IFlyEm35

Went to order my Flash today and they are out of the scheme I want for the foreseeable future. They do, however, have a new Classic Flash.

Looking for input of the old versus new. Most interested in flying characteristics.

Thanks!
What scheme was it?

I love my Classic Flash
Old 03-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

the ultra has a longer wing, and more wing area, the fuse is identical...
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wing and stab are both different, they have sweep in them and the Ultra doesn't have wing tip tanks. the Ultra is a noticeable bit more slippery then the Classic but myself i like the tip tank look of the Classic.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 PM
IFlyEm35

Which is more ideal for a 450' fabric runway?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
KC36330

setup properly either will do just fine.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

The Classic is slowby comparison. But is easier to do aero stuff with. For looks i dont care for the flair up wing tips, as they look and act vulnerable. They are both easy to land, and behave well. Get the new recommended landing gear whatever you do, there are none more robust. Dont worry about the pins, use them. Retracts and Struts are rock solid.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:45 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: indubitably

The Classic is slow. .............................The U Flash is F A S T E R. .................. With a P 120 SX .......275mph..........

That's all a bunch of BS, my Classic will hold its own with MOST Ultras out there, it's by no means slow and the 275mph w/ 120SX is a bald face lie.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Man, what is it with these speed numbers people love to throw out there? 275 with a 120 is total BS, end of story.

Now, on to the question asked....

As I had a Classic and put 257 flights on her, I think I would say I have a good idea how they fly. I have converted that Classic to a Ultra and now I have 43 flights on the Ultra. I have a good idea how they fly.

The classic is a great flying airplane, frankly every bit as good as the Ultra, just in a different way. The Classic is just as fast as Ultra, The Ultra is cleaner and builds speed faster and bleeds speed slower. The Classic lands high alpha, the Ultra lands like a bandit....nose point to the end of the runway and drive it in. The classic lands a little faster than the ultra. The flaps on the Ultra are massive, couple that with crow and you can slow her way down and drag it in to the exact spot on the runway you choose.

A friend of mine has a CLassic (that I built) and I have been helping him get comfortable with it, so I have been flying my Ultra and his CLassic back to back to back....and I enjoy them both, so much so that if mine was to turn back into a classic it would matter not to me.

I disagree on the pins in the gear, but thats just me. My friend Ozie have the stock gear, they are nice no question but if you get her sideways the pin WILL break and you will have repair work to do. I like the Dreamworks gear, good stuff....the only thing you need to do is change out the stock Intarco nose tire for something softer and you will have rock solid ground handling.

If you can get the classic and get a deal I would go for it....
Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Jame

I think they are both great airframes, they will take a huge amount of High G flying without any hassle, Ive got 31 flights on my Classic now, and have just finished the setup on our Ultra Flash, Il be able to tell you a little more after next weekend in regard to flight comparison. I fly mine from a grass runway and it lifts inside around 200 - 250 yards and Ive only got a baby turbine fitted (18.5lbs of thrust) Weve fitted the Behotec C36/2 with Airtech Trailing Link and Intairco Wheels (I believe this is the standard CARF reccomendation) but I bought my Classic second hand so I could be wrong, Ive not had any problems with our undercarriage but I have heard of a couple of cases where people have had problems.

As Dave has mentioned the Flaps are Huge on the Ultra and have the ability to go 90 degrees, the Classic still lands very slow with around 6mm of Crow dialled in. In terms of Top Speed, our Classic is still very capable of 200mph with the Wren SuperSport fitted, a friend of mine flies his Classic with a Merlin 140, there is definately a difference in the Top Speed but flew them together last weekend and it wasnt as noticeable as I expected.

I think you'd love both, if theres a good deal going on a Classic, Id go for that, but if theres not alot of difference in price, I would definately go for the Ultra (just on the look of the new Stabs and Wing).
Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 745 Likes on 539 Posts

I have Classic Flash #1 and hundreds and hundreds of flights on it and one of the very first UF to fly in Europe (in the first 5) So I'm sure I know
I love my Classic Flash, will never sell it, but a lot of pilots stuggled to get their head around landings, nothing difficult, just slightly different technique from a normal sports jet. The UF is much more typical and suits a greater number of pilots. If you have Flown F-15's and had no issues, the Classic Flash landing set up is a bit like that, or say a heavily loaded F-15 anyway..The UF is as Dave said more like a Bandit...but with more pitch control power.
I'd wait for a UF, it is faster than the Classic Flash, not that that is important, both can crack 200 with a P-120, so plenty fast enough, its just the UF flies a little lighter.

Dw
Old 03-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Jame

As Dave has said, the landings take a little getting used to on the Classic, Id been used to landing Jets with a slighter faster approach to avoid any bad habits, I got used to powering onto finals, with the Flash its very different, the approach around the base and final leg are very similar to full size aircraft, Full Flap, Crow Braking and control your descent with power, the 6mm Crow transformed the approach, I now chop the throttle on the base leg and allow it to descend literally on its own, ours is built quite light (No Wing Tank and Light 80N turbine) but it will land at walking pace......ish Believe it or not, the friend of mine who flies his with the Merlin 140 was saying last weekend, he'd made a landing with his with no elevator input at all after he turned onto finals, the first few landings I made (without Crow) felt like I had to fight it a little to get it down, it would either drop like a stone or balloon slightly, the crow just allows it to settle in.

Sorry for rambling on, hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Jame
Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: indubitably

The Classic is slow. .............................The U Flash is F A S T E R. .................. With a P 120 SX .......275mph..........

That's all a bunch of BS, my Classic will hold its own with MOST Ultras out there, it's by no means slow and the 275mph w/ 120SX is a bald face lie.
we are limited to 200... so it's a moot point.

I like the tip tanks... and if it's a leftover... tell them to give you a good price on it.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Ultra is better....

Flys and tracks like my old flex plated, 50 screw migraine, build like a Sherman tank and half the pocket change.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 AM
indubitably

Dave Botita,
When you said " Man, what is it with these speed numbers people love to throw out there? 275 with a 120 is total BS, end of story. "

Before you call someone on a reported speed, you must tell me why you cannot acknowlede it. It could be that you have never checked the potential yourself and just dont know? Or possibly you are kidding all of us by saying we cannot go faster than 200 which you may be politically concious in stating. Like you tell the officer you were going 55. But you really sound naive by just declaring something so. Where have you been with your eyes? or mind? or credibility?
John

Maybe you didnt realize that the JetCats come detuned, and you can push the limits to 100 percent?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM
indubitably

David,
Next time you get to try out your friends porsch, and you are on a straight road, out there in nowhere, and you open it up. No one else to hurt, no one in sight. You might just see what it can do. Its a healthy curiousity. If you think im flaunting it, im only comparing the speed of a c to a u. It was a friends plane, and i had a radar gun on him. The exact casual reading was 273. We didnt push for the 275, but it was certainly there if we wanted it.
John
Old 03-23-2012, 06:00 AM
SinCityJets

John,

We've done plenty of tests with real radar guns head on (not from the side and getting erred, erroniously high numbers due to the Cosine Efect http://www.copradar.com/preview/chapt2/ch2d1.html)

I believe you received readings of 275, we're just saying they weren't correct with the engine stated.

Chad
Old 03-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Bostonu

As I am new to jets. (converted IMAC Pilot) the classic flash is my first turbine. I was always told landing a jet is much different then landing an IMAC airplane. It is, but my first landing on the Flash was one of my best landings. It really is one of the easiest planes to land. I have 6mm crow and it just settles in on the runway. I have not flown an ultra flash, but would like to fly one to see the difference. I think they both look great, and would believe there is no argument in that they both fly great.

Chris
Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

John, I could care less what speeds you fly at, it's not my job to enforce AMA rule. I am not giving you a hard time for the speeds you fly I am saying there is simply no way you are pulling those speeds with a 120. My flash has been on the gun many times and we have never seen speeds like that, and I have a 160 that I derated to a 130. She hauls the mail no question but 273, not going to happen.

Frankly I could care less if your flash makes the jump to light speed and you call her the Millinnimum Flacon, but let's post accurate information when people are trying evaluate a jet that they looking to purchase.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 AM
basimpsn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now there could be a big differences between these two P-120. I've personally seen my friend p120 putting out 28# and the other putting out 24#. What trigger the concern was both F15 powered by p120, and one would out climb the other. Don't know why

My Opinion
Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

For those interested: Shui flew the Ultra in Manaus, Brazil with a K170 at 275 mph. A Non BVM Bandit beat it for the first place for two or three miles per hour.(!)

Enrique
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
basimpsn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: erbroens

For those interested: Shui flew the Ultra in Manaus, Brazil with a K170 at 275 mph. A Non BVM Bandit beat it for the first place for two or three miles per hour.(!)

Enrique
Hotspot ?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:10 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No! I was there with my 180 mph Roo and very happy with it.. This days I don´t care much about this and have more fun flying with friends like David.

However I talked with him that I would love to do a "pink slips" race with the SuperHotspot and his Firebird one day of this!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.