Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

purchasing first gas powered r/c car

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 09:26 PM
R/C car guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchasing first gas powered r/c car

i need some tips on what car to buy. i would like a car or truck that can go off-road and has a fair amount of speed and power. it doesn't need to be the best there is but i don't want to be stuck with peice of crap. i have browsed around and gotten a general idea of what to expect to spend. i would like to spend somewhere from about $230-$330. i am basically looking for a beginners buggy or truck. because this is my first gas powered R/C car i would like a recomendation for a car from someone with experiance.

also, i have seen R/C cars called gas powered and nitro powered, i was wondering if there is a difference.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:11 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: purchasing first gas powered r/c car

gas powered or nitro powered they call them,and on to which car u want ...if u know how to build u can get the savage ss for 349 and it a really good truck u can go on road or off road too or u can get something like the rc10gt or what they call stadium trucks its like a lowered monster truck..and more cheaper i think...if your buying buy the one u r going to be happy with not because its cheap ...save 50bux more and u can get a really nice rctruck or car..anyway i suggest savage
Old 09-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Razoo
My Feedback: (2)

If you go for the SS, don't forget to buy the Radio, receiver and servos! It will cost alot more than the $349.00 mentioned above. Then be prepared to spend time to build it. And hopefully next month or so HPI will fix the gas tank so you can run more than 1/2 a tank at a time.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:51 PM
R/C car guy

i am leaning towards purchasing the savage ss but i was wondering if it has four wheel drive. i would like to have a truck or buggy that has four wheel drive because i plan i primarily using it off-road. so if the savage ss doesn't have for wheel drive what would you recommend? i looked on hobbytron.com and found the megatech 1/10 Nitro Tempest Gladiator 4 Wheel-Drive RTR with Radio, what do you think of it?
Old 09-20-2003, 05:06 PM
Razoo

Yes the SS has 4WD, out of the 2 trucks you mentioned the SS would be the lesser of 2 evils.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:41 PM
R/C car guy

what do you meen by "the lesser of 2 evils"?

i am nearly positive about buying the ss but i was wondering if it is worth the money, or if i should go with one a little cheaper.

also, since the ss doesn't come with a radio, which one would you suggest buying, and where should i get it?
Old 09-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Blackjaxx360

There is nothing wrong with the SS, just minor flaws like every other MT has. If you're concerned about building a kit and having to buy radio and little extras go with the Savage .25 RTR. Still can't beat the truck. IMO the best out there. I know all the T-maxxers will disagree, LOL
Old 09-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Razoo

I suggest you go to your LHS and purchase the radio that they recommend, don't forget to get a high torque servo for the steering. Good luck with your SS!!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:40 PM
R/C car guy

i'm guessing that LHS stands for local hobby shop. there is one problem with that, the closest hobby shop to me has nearly nothing involving radio controlled cars. what the do have is a few kits for electric r/c cars and thats it. besides that crappy hobby shop there isn't any place to go to near where i live. i can't go long distances because my parents most likely won't want to drive me far for something they aren't even interested(i'm only 14 years old). that meens i am most likely going to have to order the radio off the internet, like i am the kit.

i have heard servos mentioned before, and i was just wondering what they are. i thought the only thing that doesn't come with the kit is the radio.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:51 PM
POJack

Considering this is your first truck, if I were you, I'd shy away from the SS at the moment. You asked for a "beginner truck". Well, in my opinion, a beginner truck is not a kit (you have to build the SS). Wait till the Savage .25 RTR (ready to run) comes out (probably in 2 -3 weeks). That will be your best bet in my opinion.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:02 PM
R/C car guy

are there any performance differences between the rtr and the kit of the ss?

i don't think me being new to this won't stop me from being able to build the kit because i'm not dumb and have a natural nack for machanical stuff. so if there are instructions i will be able to put it togethore, unless the instructions are outragously hard to follow. also i would enjoy building it and i would know the truck better for repairs if i build it myself.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:04 PM
R/C car guy

are there any stadium trucks/buggies that anyone would recomend. i have just found a website called [link]http://rcnitro.com[/link] which has videos of r/c cars and i noticed that they commonly use stadium trucks/buggies on ashphalt, dirt, and grass which is what i would be using it on. aslo in previos response someone said that these typse of r/c cars are cheaper than monster trucks, which is what i have been looking into and thinking of getting. i have now realized that i would be better off getting a stadium truck/buggy. so what stadium truck/buggy would you recommend, anyone.

the car doesn't have to be rtr. i would actually rather it be a kit because it would be enjoyable to build and it would help me know more about the car.

hey, you guys that have given me suggestions about the savage ss, thanks for the help but i think buying the truck and the radio would be a little bit out of my price range. unless you know a truck that is a little cheaper.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:05 AM
badboy2

if u can go to a race track and run the buggies its good ...for backyard bashing if u dont want to build get the rtr savage...although u can run the buggies and stadium truck for backyard bashing but u would enjoy more if u have a monster truck in my opinion...anyway for a buggy id recommend the ofna buggies or try lookin for monster pirate and stadium truck i think rc10gt is the most popular
Old 09-21-2003, 01:08 AM
badboy2

http://www.rcmodels.com/rc-cen-9236.html maybe u can check the cen mt2 i heard they are good too ..and fast also...
Old 09-21-2003, 01:17 AM
R/C car guy

i am definatly getting a monster truck

i am deciding between the savage ss, the savage 21, and the cen mt2 that you just showed me.

between the two rtr's, the savage 21 and the cen mt2, which would you suggest getting?
Old 09-21-2003, 01:18 AM
badboy2

oh i found more ...hot bodies lightning pro buggy is 325 in meganitro and maybe free shipping...its a 1/8buggy which is good i dk about performance tho..and also try hpi mt's the look good too i think theyre better looking than rc10s i hate the look of those tires on rc10s...well what ever u get we know ull like it...
Old 09-21-2003, 01:23 AM
badboy2

u can add ofna ultra lx pro its 329 + shipping it comes with a 25engine same as the savage ss25 ...and its rt means no need to buy radio or anything except of course glo plugs ,igniter and nitro
Old 09-21-2003, 01:25 AM
R/C car guy

you said that buggies are good on race tracks but i don't have any race tracks near me. i am going to be doing mainly "backyard bashing". so a monster truck would be better for me. so which rtr monster truck would you recomend, the savage 21 or the cen mt 2?
Old 09-21-2003, 01:33 AM
badboy2

http://www.hpisavageforum.com/forum/...&threadid=4778
Old 09-21-2003, 01:36 AM
badboy2

well personally i like big trucks so i vote for savage
Old 09-21-2003, 01:44 AM
badboy2

but i guess the savage was too much for your budget just save more and then u can buy what u want not because its the one u can afford
Old 09-21-2003, 01:45 AM
R/C car guy

do you think that used savage 21 is a good buy? i can't tell because i am new too this stuff. it seems like it would be worth it because it is only slightly more expensive than the stock but has a better engine. but dealing with someone i don't know could be risky.

if the used savage 21 is better than the stock one i think i have come down to my final choices. the savage ss and the used savage 21.

if you have any last suggestions i would need them fairly soon. i am hoping to order the truck within the next few days. i can't order it right away because i'm only 14 years old so i need to get my parents to purchase the car with thier credit card because i am going to be ordering it.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:50 AM
R/C car guy

do you honestly think i should go with the more expensive one that is better? i have about $750 but i didn't want to spend too much of it, just in case there is ever anything else i want to buy. but if you think i should spend a little more money to get a better product i most likely will do that. i don't want to be stuck with a truck that can't do everything i want it to.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:51 AM
badboy2

that one is ok but just make sure u get all the the info of the perosn ur dealin with if thats the one you are buying and tell him to ship it with trackin number ...goodluck
Old 09-21-2003, 01:54 AM
badboy2

http://www.hpisavageforum.com/forum/...5&pagenumber=1
this is much better he is from nj so maybe u can hook up with him he has a nice truck almost all aluminum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.