Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Can't find bash spots for the life of me...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can't find bash spots for the life of me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find bash spots for the life of me...

So I've been searching, and searching, and searching some more for some bash spots around me. I've found a hiking trail, but the trail itself is too narrow for bashing. And then on either side is dense forest so that won't work. I've searched through google earth and google maps as well, but still can't find anything at all. I drive around and all the construction sites (the few that are there) all say "No Trespassing". My area is just too..."developed" to have any decent bash spots. I can go to the track just to drive around it, but I also want to find some bash spots around me. Anyway, as a last resort, how do you guys end up finding bash spots in a somewhat urban environment? There are school fields that are perfect for me to fly at (and which I do) but there are virtually no places for me to bash besides my backyard.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Know how ya feel
By me it feels like trying to find anything outside plain flat grass(or a baseball diamond) is futile.
Anything with a decent spot to jump barbed wire fence around with no trespassing written.

The few places I have found that would rock, I'd probably get shot at (or robbed) as they are in extremely bad parts of the city where people will beat the crap out of you just because. One park I know that has a nice hill to jump off of has an issue as if I use the hill my RC will fly straight into the little kids sections with slides, and swings meant for the 5 and under crowd which is always packed...

The closest tracks to me are also far away(well specially with my work shifts 2 hours of travel one way just to get 1 hour in of run time no thanks...).

Street can't even run my on-roads as the car I drive to work has issues getting down the street its in such bad shape.

Went to a BMX park once with my savage took me few minutes to knock it out of the tree as it was overgrown with trees(guess why I saw no people on bikes). Plus the way it was setup was extremely harsh on the RC's.

Kinda why no ones heard me buying much lately(or even bothering finishing my projects) as there is no point to buy anything as I have almost no where to run it.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 10-21-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 AM
Microz

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
Know how ya feel
By me it feels like trying to find anything outside plain flat grass(or a baseball diamond) is futile.
Anything with a decent spot to jump barbed wire fence around with no trespassing written.

The few places I have found that would rock, I'd probably get shot at (or robbed) as they are in extremely bad parts of the city where people will beat the crap out of you just because. One park I know that has a nice hill to jump off of has an issue as if I use the hill my RC will fly straight into the little kids sections with slides, and swings meant for the 5 and under crowd which is always packed...

The closest tracks to me are also far away(well specially with my work shifts 2 hours of travel one way just to get 1 hour in of run time no thanks...).

Street can't even run my on-roads as the car I drive to work has issues getting down the street its in such bad shape.

Went to a BMX park once with my savage took me few minutes to knock it out of the tree as it was overgrown with trees(guess why I saw no people on bikes). Plus the way it was setup was extremely harsh on the RC's.

Kinda why no ones heard me buying much lately(or even bothering finishing my projects) as there is no point to buy anything as I have almost no where to run it.
Tell me about it! The streets here are in pretty good shape, but man, your streets must be pretty beat up! I wouldn't risk it in that bad part of the city either. Sounds like as a place becomes more populated per se, that there becomes less places to run. I remember when I just moved here, houses were still being built in my neighborhood, and it was basically a huge dirt lot all around. That would have been awesome if I was into RC at that time. But I was only 5 or 6 years old, so.... Oh and there are no BMX parks near me either.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:44 AM
turok007

very near to me is 2 small mud hills and a small mud jump. and that is it. i know my town like the back of my hand and that is all there is. we do have a skate park but it is packed all the time. im also on the coast but still nothing. and it gets worse. i cannot even do any real speed runs as i cannot find any straight longer than about 600ft. we do have loads of mud tracks/paths but they are no wider than 3ft.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by turok007
very near to me is 2 small mud hills and a small mud jump. and that is it. i know my town like the back of my hand and that is all there is. we do have a skate park but it is packed all the time. im also on the coast but still nothing. and it gets worse. i cannot even do any real speed runs as i cannot find any straight longer than about 600ft. we do have loads of mud tracks/paths but they are no wider than 3ft.
Sounds like there are a couple of us who have a hard time finding bash spots. I guess all I can really do is keep looking...racing looks fun, but I'd have to think about that since it seems like thats an all day event...
Old 10-22-2013, 03:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I am better off than I thought in this regard. I have one playground (no jumps, but nice sand to play in) a few ball fields, 1 parking lot behind the armory, and one area with short grass and a small dirt hill.

But I have watched many RC videos and seen some wicked amazing bashing spots. BMX tracks with good sized jumps and wicked banked corners. Massive skate board parks (there is a skate park near me, I tiny thing with a few small jumps that is very harsh on the models) and so on.

I had been wishing the local Rec department would build a BMX track...they did last year....in the side of a hill with lots of trees in it. I doubt know what moron thought that up. It doesn't work for RC cause there are tons of spots you cant see your model, and it doesn't work for bikes either as a mistake could mean you end up in a tree and even if you don't....you go down the hill and then you have to pedal back up (slowly)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
I guess I am better off than I thought in this regard. I have one playground (no jumps, but nice sand to play in) a few ball fields, 1 parking lot behind the armory, and one area with short grass and a small dirt hill.

But I have watched many RC videos and seen some wicked amazing bashing spots. BMX tracks with good sized jumps and wicked banked corners. Massive skate board parks (there is a skate park near me, I tiny thing with a few small jumps that is very harsh on the models) and so on.

I had been wishing the local Rec department would build a BMX track...they did last year....<b>in the side of a hill with lots of trees in it. I doubt know what moron thought that up</b>. It doesn't work for RC cause there are tons of spots you cant see your model, and it doesn't work for bikes either as a mistake could mean you end up in a tree and even if you don't....you go down the hill and then you have to pedal back up (slowly)
Sounds like the ones that put the BMX track I mentioned in the middle of a wooded area with 7 foot jumps and tree branches extending directly over them which are about 9-10 feet from the ground. Which is why the one time I went there my savage got stuck in a tree. Also instead of using dirt or a sand they used concrete for the jumps, and all. So ride bike up jump get knocked off fall 7-8 feet into concrete Yup brilliant.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:08 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I'd go to construction sites.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner

I had been wishing the local Rec department would build a BMX track...they did last year....in the side of a hill with lots of trees in it. I doubt know what moron thought that up. It doesn't work for RC cause there are tons of spots you cant see your model, and it doesn't work for bikes either as a mistake could mean you end up in a tree and even if you don't....you go down the hill and then you have to pedal back up (slowly)
Doesn't sand do something to ruin a rc car somehow? I read somewhere that it does. I avoid the playgrounds around here because there are always kids, and right when you pull the car out....theres a crowd of a million kids around you.

Originally Posted by collector1231
I'd go to construction sites.
I would but they all say "No Trespassing."
Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Or, find an undeveloped neighborhood, and run in one of those dirt lots. Thats what I do.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:52 AM
Microz

I could try that. Although, every neighborhood here is pretty developed already.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:42 AM
Eman77

I feel the same way. Where I work it's so developed that it's really hard just to find a nice vacant dirt lot to mess around in. I mean, it makes the town look nice, but nowhere for an RC guy to go play.

Where I live it's quite similar.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Microz

Yeah I feel ya. I wonder how fun gravel is...there does seem to be quite a few gravel lots here while driving around, but I'm not sure how fun they are?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM
turok007

gravel is fun until you get some caught in the gears or it flies up and hits you.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got any Atv parks near you? I went to a couple in Pa and there were some pretty cool rc bashing spots within them. I do envy the guys who have easy access to quarry's and other places with big dirt mounds like that. There's a few places like that around here but sneaking in and having to leave your car somewhere isn't fun.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 10-23-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by turok007
gravel is fun until you get some caught in the gears or it flies up and hits you.
True, true....

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
Got any Atv parks near you? I went to a couple in Pa and there were some pretty cool rc bashing spots within them. I do envy the guys who have easy access to quarry's and other places with big dirt mounds like that. There's a few places like that around here but sneaking in and having to leave your car somewhere isn't fun.
No, all the ATV parks are in North or Central PA. I live near Philadelphia, and there are VERY, VERY few recreational activities to be done here. There is a quarry right outside my neighborhood, but as you said, its not really fun to sneak around into the quarry and then hiding your car somewhere...
Old 10-23-2013, 06:52 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Microz
My area is just too..."developed" to have any decent bash spots.
im in that same boat. what you have to do is think like a skater. one mans development is another mans blank canvas.
just because it isn't dirt, doesn't mean it can't be bashed. if it looks like a jump, jump it. find those invisible lines through and around obstacles. a good imagination is key.
hell iv bashed speed bumps, dips, curbs, trees, cracked asphalt and concrete, handicapped access ramps, stairs, parking blocks, parking lot islands, driveways, bike trails, public walkways, alleys, baseball fields, block walls. the urban and/or suburban jungle isn't anything creativity can't handle.

Last edited by suburban_hooligan; 10-23-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Microz

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Dirt sure does look more fun I'd say, but I'm up to trying that.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Eman77

Imagination? My Achilles heel.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by Eman77
Imagination? My Achilles heel.
I can agree to an extent.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:58 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, that sucks.... It must be hard to really enjoy ur cars.

i just can't imagine it, I like to think I live in the suburbs....
but no kidding u look one way there is rows of houses, then look just across the road, there is a national reserve/park. It's even got kangaroos.... No kidding depending on the time on the day I can see them from my front door.... I don't know what I would do in ur position?

as sucky as it sounds, it might be worth giving up on preformance off road vehicles and look into crawlers or parking lot bashers....
Or..... Create a community based club, and wright to u local council/government to see if there is any funding for community groups and possible site for a track..... Only reson I suggest that, is because that's how my local club/track got started..... Government funding.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Man, that sucks.... It must be hard to really enjoy ur cars.

i just can't imagine it, I like to think I live in the suburbs....
but no kidding u look one way there is rows of houses, then look just across the road, there is a national reserve/park. It's even got kangaroos.... No kidding depending on the time on the day I can see them from my front door.... I don't know what I would do in ur position?

as sucky as it sounds, it might be worth giving up on preformance off road vehicles and look into crawlers or parking lot bashers....
Or..... Create a community based club, and wright to u local council/government to see if there is any funding for community groups and possible site for a track..... Only reson I suggest that, is because that's how my local club/track got started..... Government funding.
Hmmm not a bad idea. I'm taking a liking in on road cars, rally cars, and scalers. Those seem to be better suited to my area. I could ask about a possible location for a track as well....not sure how much they will listen to a 16 year old though. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Microz

EDIT: Baloneys. I just realized that development is fully developed already.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 10.15.17 PM.png
Views:	77
Size:	919.8 KB
ID:	1932971  

Last edited by Microz; 10-25-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Microz

Just wanted to say, I went to one of the many gravel lots around me about 10 minutes ago, and man, that was the most fun I've EVER had with a RC Car!!!!! Heck, its more fun than flying my planes! Much less nerve-wracking and was just pure, outright fun! Now time to explore other areas around me (mainly gravel), and then the race track. Now I just NEED more batteries!!!! If money only allowed....

Last edited by Microz; 10-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:10 PM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a lot of parks around me so I don't have a problem with that. It's just that I have to find a "down" time in the parks as to not bother walkers, picnics, and ball games. When all clear, whip out the portable skate board ramps and I'm all set! Plus, if you winterize your truck/car, parking lots are fun cause the plow guy makes the jumps/hills for ya. A little extra damage on a cold day is worth it for me for the amount of fun I have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.