Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

flysky GT3C

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default flysky GT3C

so I looked up all the details I could find, and was on the fence about buying the GT3c radio.

some reported issues with the on/off button.

someone else said you have to bind all receivers you want to use AT THE SAME TIME, which I thought was weird.

But I was getting tired of messing with the trims on my GT2 every time I switched the models I was driving...as I had 4-5 recievers bound to the same GT2 radio.

So I bought one.
1st, the green is more of a metallic green.
2nd, the screen looks awesome. Very easy to read.
Lipo battery is nice.
feels good in the hand.
I have no issues thus far.
you can bind one receiver at a time.
10 model memory, trims, duel rates, end points, 3 channel (have not messed with it to see what settings that has) ABS and expo.

The other reason I was cautious about buying this radio is because I had bought a GT3B a year or 2 ago. That did not go well. It was much more confusing to program. while trying to program the radio to my rustler vxl (with the truck on) I hit the throttle trim and the car jumped off the box it was on, hit my hand and the radio, breaking off the steering wheel!
While the damage to the radio was really my fault for not having unplugged the rustler's motor, it was still a huge disappointment.

I thought at 1st that I was in for more of the same, as the radio does not come with a manual (you have to download it)
However, the GT3C is easy to figure out and the buttons make sense and are much better labeled then they were on the GT3B

I do feel like this type of radio is not as durable as say, a spectrum (darn the auto spell correct!) unit and I know I would cringe if it were to fall off a table or something. But it is not like it feels flimsy. It feels solid. It just seems like a radio with a big screen and a steering wheel that comes out is more likely to get damaged if it were to fall far enough.

But now I have a really nice 3ch that is easy to use and that I can bind to many models and have each model setup the way I want and can buy additional recievers for $8 a pop. That is a hard deal to beat and I am glad I bought it.

In the pic you can see I have it set on model "box" which is my lunchbox. You have 3 digits (letters and numbers) to label each model.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PHTO0273.JPG
Views:	1530
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1934198   Click image for larger version

Name:	PHTO0275.JPG
Views:	1626
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1934199  
Old 10-28-2013, 08:59 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up..... Hey are they hackable? I'm not to sure but I did read somewhere that one of them can be hacked to have more channels?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As standard the firmware used to have throttle expo problems (the only reason I never pulled the trigger as I couldn't be bothered to hack it). I'm curious if they've fixed that in the latest gens.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by Foxy
As standard the firmware used to have throttle expo problems (the only reason I never pulled the trigger as I couldn't be bothered to hack it). I'm curious if they've fixed that in the latest gens.
don't know about that, but no problems so far.
this one is just an update of the GT3b. same case, slightly different screen/scroll buttons and better labeled. Oh, and the lipo battery.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Foxy

Yeh, the B used to have the problem, that's why I ask. Just set the throttle expo to a high number and see what you get. It used to do nothing at all.

I pulled the trigger on a Futaba 4PLS today. I kinda cringed as I hit submit, cos things are a bit tight at the moment, and I'm in the middle of building a moa 2.2 comp crawler too, but I know it'll be worth it. Will be sad to say goodbye to the 3PK, but its nearly 10 years old.

Last edited by Foxy; 10-31-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:40 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Yeh, the B used to have the problem, that's why I ask. Just set the throttle expo to a high number and see what you get. It used to do nothing at all.

I pulled the trigger on a Futaba 4PLS today. I kinda cringed as I hit submit, cos things are a bit tight at the moment, and I'm in the middle of building a moa 2.2 comp crawler too, but I know it'll be worth it. Will be sad to say goodbye to the 3PK.
my feeling on this subject is that, if you can afford a brand name, known for quality radio then you should.
But if you cant spend more than $100 and need a radio to run 3-5 models (cost including recievers) then the flysky is the way to go.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how it will hold up. I'm looking into getting a Flysky FSGT3C myself....I was first thinking the Futaba 4PLS, but I'm having a hard time gulping down that price for a radio. Although, I'm not sure how much smoother the Futaba would feel compared to the Flysky. I guess I've been reading too much from people who race rc cars at a very competitive level, but they claim that the latency is much less in a Flysky than a higher end radio...not sure if you would actually be able to feel/see that .001 second difference or whatever.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I have had a couple of spectrum radios....dx2l and dx2e. Granted, those are lower end spectrum but still more expensive than the flysky and they don't have model memory or 3 channels.
But to my finger, they don't feel any better.
Im sure a seasoned racer could say a futaba or whatever brand high-end radio makes a difference, and perhaps it does. But IMO, for us average guys it wont make us race any better.

I have raced my sc10 a few times. I have a MG996r servo in it. I asked a long-time racer to drive my truck on the track and LMK what he thought of how it handled.
His only complaint was that the steering was way to slow.
He had my drive his truck, with some fancy high speed servo. I could tell that the steering was faster, but I actually had a harder time driving it.
So, to me, equipment may not be as important as being used to what you have. Oh, his and my lap times were very close. His sc10 had a vxl system, fancy radio and servo. Mine had a ezrun 35a system with finned 380 motor, "slow" servo and flysky GT2 radio.

For those who have the money and are serious about racing I can understand why they buy the "good" stuff. If you plan to run your trucks hard every weekend then it will save you a little time and effort to equip your RC with the best gear.
But for the occasional racer and basher, I don't think the extra money is worth it.

If anything happens with my flysky radio down the road, Ill be sure to update this thread.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
I have had a couple of spectrum radios....dx2l and dx2e. Granted, those are lower end spectrum but still more expensive than the flysky and they don't have model memory or 3 channels.
But to my finger, they don't feel any better.
Im sure a seasoned racer could say a futaba or whatever brand high-end radio makes a difference, and perhaps it does. But IMO, for us average guys it wont make us race any better.

I have raced my sc10 a few times. I have a MG996r servo in it. I asked a long-time racer to drive my truck on the track and LMK what he thought of how it handled.
His only complaint was that the steering was way to slow.
He had my drive his truck, with some fancy high speed servo. I could tell that the steering was faster, but I actually had a harder time driving it.
So, to me, equipment may not be as important as being used to what you have. Oh, his and my lap times were very close. His sc10 had a vxl system, fancy radio and servo. Mine had a ezrun 35a system with finned 380 motor, "slow" servo and flysky GT2 radio.

For those who have the money and are serious about racing I can understand why they buy the "good" stuff. If you plan to run your trucks hard every weekend then it will save you a little time and effort to equip your RC with the best gear.
But for the occasional racer and basher, I don't think the extra money is worth it.

If anything happens with my flysky radio down the road, Ill be sure to update this thread.
Wow nice write up! Makes me lean towards the flysky now. I'll be watching for some updates!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I should mention this,
the radio feels nice. The receivers however are not as "sturdy" as say a spectrum.
The plastic case is thin and I have had them split open when trying to take them out of a chassis (Velcro stronger than the 2 halves of the case)
Even more noticeable is the receiver's ports, you can look down and see the board. It is very easy for water to get down there. I have even had sand get inside the case.
The receiver's range is just fine. But the case and it's large ports can make them more likely to fail due to sand/water getting in.
But the flip side is that they cost $8-$10 a pop. And there is nothing stopping one from wrapping electrical tape around the ports/plugs or just putting the whole thing in a balloon or receiver box to protect it.
So, while the recievers work well and can be protected, there is a noticeable quality difference between them and the $40 spectrum (dang spell corrector. Its spelled with a K!) recievers.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Foxy

Originally Posted by Microz
I wonder how it will hold up. I'm looking into getting a Flysky FSGT3C myself....I was first thinking the Futaba 4PLS, but I'm having a hard time gulping down that price for a radio. Although, I'm not sure how much smoother the Futaba would feel compared to the Flysky. I guess I've been reading too much from people who race rc cars at a very competitive level, but they claim that the latency is much less in a Flysky than a higher end radio...not sure if you would actually be able to feel/see that .001 second difference or whatever.
For me, it had to be the 4PLS, not just because I genuinely believe in Futaba quality (my 3PK was bought second hand 9.5 years ago and is still going strong), but also because it has great software and premade settings for most of the tricky stuff, such as MOA crawler mixing using 2 escs, amongst others.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:11 AM
Foxy

I should mention this,
the radio feels nice. The receivers however are not as "sturdy" as say a spectrum.
The plastic case is thin and I have had them split open when trying to take them out of a chassis (Velcro stronger than the 2 halves of the case)
Even more noticeable is the receiver's ports, you can look down and see the board. It is very easy for water to get down there. I have even had sand get inside the case.
The receiver's range is just fine. But the case and it's large ports can make them more likely to fail due to sand/water getting in.
But the flip side is that they cost $8-$10 a pop. And there is nothing stopping one from wrapping electrical tape around the ports/plugs or just putting the whole thing in a balloon or receiver box to protect it.
So, while the recievers work well and can be protected, there is a noticeable quality difference between them and the $40 spectrum (dang spell corrector. Its spelled with a K!) recievers.
I have to say my Spektrum receivers are sand traps too. They always rattle when I take them out. It's become part of the rebiuld procedure to take the receiver apart and shake it out. Just saying. I actually like the fact that the flysky receivers are tiny and very light weight, plus they only cost 8 bucks, compared to 40 or 50.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Microz

I should mention this,
Oh okay thanks. Yeah I've had a flysky FSGT2 at one time, and the receivers are quite flimsy. They do seem to work fine though as you said.

For me, it had to be the 4PLS, not just because I genuinely believe in Futaba quality (my 3PK was bought second hand 9.5 years ago and is still going strong), but also because it has great software and premade settings for most of the tricky stuff, such as MOA crawler mixing using 2 escs, amongst others.
Ohhh okay I see. Yeah I don't need those kinds of features (at least for now) so I would be fine with a flysky. Good luck with your MOA crawler btw.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

I one one of each radios. i picked up the B after i saw an online video review and the range the radio had plus the cost of the receivers ($8 or so)! picked up the 2nd radio so I can use the B with my electric stuff and the C will be on all my nitro items. Also makes it possible so i can run something while my nephew is using another one of my cars.

Now i just need a decent case to store them in. The B came with a nice foam form fitted box but the C didn't.

Most manufactured case's on the market cost more then the damn radio!

Bill S.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Foxy

Ohhh okay I see. Yeah I don't need those kinds of features (at least for now) so I would be fine with a flysky. Good luck with your MOA crawler btw.
Thanks man, you can expect a massive thread, I've spent $1000 (don't tell the wife).

In two, maybe three weeks, everything will be here, build and mods to the axles will take about a week, and then it'll be photo whoring time.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Microz

Thanks man, you can expect a massive thread, I've spent $1000 (don't tell the wife).

In two, maybe three weeks, everything will be here, build and mods to the axles will take about a week, and then it'll be photo whoring time.
$1000!!!!?!?!?!?!? WHOA!!!!!! That is quite a good chunk of cash! The thread will be in RC Rock Crawlers yes? I'll check it out when its up.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Foxy

That is including the new radio, so less spent on actual car. Still should be a world class comp rig, which is the aim.

Yep, in Rock Crawlers probably.

Nitrosports, sorry for the hijack...
Old 11-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Microz

That is including the new radio, so less spent on actual car. Still should be a world class comp rig, which is the aim.

Yep, in Rock Crawlers probably.

Nitrosports, sorry for the hijack...
Cool! I'll check it out when its up.

Yeah sorry about that nitrosports...

Back on subject, Nitrosportsandrunnner, how does the FSGT3C exactly "feel" in your hands? It looks like a comfortable radio.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

oh, it feels good in the hand. just as good as any other radio I have used.
foxy, good point on the size of the flysky receivers. That is a bonus. I have one fitted on a ECX smash (losi mini T) I can think of several other receivers I have owned that would not fit anywhere on that little truck.

I likely have 1 hour of use on the radio. screen shows voltage of lipo has dropped .1v

I have yet to try the exo and 3rd channel features of the radio. so still some functions yet to play with.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Microz

Cool! I think I might order one tonight....

I'm getting tempted....should I do it?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:36 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like Foxy has gaught the crawler bug.... It's addictive eh?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool! I think I might order one tonight....

I'm getting tempted....should I do it?
YES!!

I have two GT2 radios, love 'em. My buddy has the GT3B and really likes it (no problem with the power switch) but the brake tine on the throttle trigger broke. Kinda hard to brake or reverse with nothing to push your finger against. He was able to fix it tho. Personally I thought it was kind of a big radio, especially with 8 AAs, so the GT3C is a major improvement IMO. I've never had any problems with the Flysky receivers. I used spray Plastic Dip on them, and taped over the holes.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
YES!!

I have two GT2 radios, love 'em. My buddy has the GT3B and really likes it (no problem with the power switch) but the brake tine on the throttle trigger broke. Kinda hard to brake or reverse with nothing to push your finger against. He was able to fix it tho. Personally I thought it was kind of a big radio, especially with 8 AAs, so the GT3C is a major improvement IMO. I've never had any problems with the Flysky receivers. I used spray Plastic Dip on them, and taped over the holes.
Cool thanks! I guess I'll buy one.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:54 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

low voltage alarm sounded today on my radio. It did so at 3.6v
I figured it would not sound until 3.4v
It has a li-ion 800mah battery.
I wish it was setup so when the alarm goes you can turn it off, and it wont sound until voltage drops another point.

I didn't mention before, but the supplied charger is a USB cable. And the plug for the radio is one of the mini plugs, just like my MP3 player and some cell phones have.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

still loving the gt3c
wanted to drive my vaterra in the garage tonight (stupid maine, gets dark at 4:30 now)
but I only had the 3s lipo charged. It is a pain trying to drive an overpowered rc in a small space.
I had been wanting to buy a 2s lipo for the car, but money is super tight and $30-$40 for a battery just aint in the budget.
3s is harder on the motor and car as well.
Then it hit me, the gt3c has throttle end points. turned it down to 50% and it was perfect for the small space. I will keep it at 75% for outdoors fun. this will save on the motor and driveline and on top of that give a little more runtime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.