Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Want to see DA100 next to BME110X?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:32 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to see DA100 next to BME110X?

I just had both of these engines NIB at the same time for one evening, and took a couple of pics of them next to each other. An enggine that is 10% larger weighs 33% less ha ha.
DKjens
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85896.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	119555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84737.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	119556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12151.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	119557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63704.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	119558  
Old 04-07-2004, 12:06 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Want to see DA100 next to BME110X?

Jens,
I don't understand your scale. What does the DA weigh?
Nice photos!~)

Joe
Old 04-07-2004, 05:23 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Looks to me like it is a 5 pound scale that has started around again........ 6 pounds 4 ounces
Old 04-07-2004, 06:07 AM
Rudeboy

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I also looks like the BME has about 50% less cooling area... better make provisions for proper cooling...
Old 04-07-2004, 07:16 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have there been any reports on how it runs? I was considering it prior to buying my DA-100 untill I heard it ran like a 3 legged washing machine. If you have unbiased feedback please let us know!
RickP
Old 04-07-2004, 07:46 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

It looks like the BME guys designed the motor with weight in mind, but there is NO cooling fin area, the engine in all has to be weaker built, and it can't have as much power as the DA,,, stick with the DA (I believe BME has disapointed alot of people in the last year or so)
Old 04-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Tim_Indy

ORIGINAL: RickP

I was considering it prior to buying my DA-100 untill I heard it ran like a 3 legged washing machine.
First off, I don't think you can go wrong buying ANY of the "big 3" (3W, BME, or DA). Kinda like Ford vs. Chevy. I'm sure the guy providing the "3 legged washing machine" info was speaking from personal experience of his OWN 110X, right? [8D]
Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: jongurley

It looks like the BME guys designed the motor with weight in mind, but there is NO cooling fin area, the engine in all has to be weaker built, and it can't have as much power as the DA,,, stick with the DA (I believe BME has disapointed alot of people in the last year or so)
Don't take this wrong, as I don't own either engine yet, but there are many BME and DA engines at my local field, so I must ask/comment the following...

I see cooling fins, so there must be SOME cooling fin area,

Why "does the engine HAVE to be weaker built"...remember, lighter does not mean weaker?

And why CAN'T it have as much power as the DA ...what are the acutual numbers?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Tim_Indy

.....but there is NO cooling fin area, the engine in all has to be weaker built, and it can't have as much power as the DA,
More personal experience, I'm sure. Weaker built? Don't know of any engine out there that can survive the crash test.

I believe BME has disapointed alot of people in the last year or so
Can't argue there, but the dissapointed people were mainly those that hadn't RECEIVED their engine yet. There is little doubt in my mind that if the BME 110X didn't live up to the hype, guys that are running the engine would have been eager to spread that news!

I'm running the 110X in my Wild Hare 330. I don't have to bash 3W or DA (both quality engines) in order to feel good about my engine because I can truthfully say that *MY* 110X lives up to the hype! All three major brands can fly a 30 pound 35% aerobat with authority, so the fact that my 110X DOES, in fact, make more power than a DA is less important to me. Many fields that I fly do have noise issues, so what IS important to me is that my 110X with the LARGE Pefa LL cannisters weighs ounces LESS than a DA with stock mufflers. I now have a package that is very strong while at the same time very quiet, and paid ZERO weight penalty.

Yep, I'm VERY satisfied with mine, too bad Keith can't turn them out faster.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:45 AM
ml3456

Maybe the DA is "OVERBUILT" ? How much cooling do you need? Balsa or lite ply to duct air over the fins is much lighter than aluminum if needed! Remeber, they are based in Tuscon where it is really hot, but BME is in Texas where it is hot also. I just think BME did a little more research to see how much fin is really needed.

Both brands run well and have great reputations. I would buy either. The advantage to DA is the aftermarket exhaust systems seem more available, as are specializd motor mounts.

ML
Old 04-07-2004, 10:35 AM
DKjens

Joe,
I found that by adding 1 lb 15 oz to the scale with the BME on it, the needle would end up where it is with the DA on it. Yes, it's a 5 lb scale.

Tim,
I find like you, that one does not have to look far or long for somebody who is ready to sling s..t based on 3rd hand information, or pure personnal perseption. One can only hope that the majority of people recognizes empty statements and bs when they see it. I have not read anything bad about the 110X, in fact, I just read somebody's praise of it.

On the cooling fin area and strength subject. Many 2-stroke engines of this displacement produce 2 to 2.5 times the HP at 2 to 3 times the rpm. Granted, these engines have a limited life expectancy before needing a rebuild. The point is, our engines are really not that hard stressed, and may very well be over engineered. I seriously doubt that Keith Baker would sink the kind of money he did into designing and producing this 110X, without having some serious engineering behind it, confirming that it is a very viable product.

DKjens
Old 04-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

You forgot to mention the fact that the DA is available NOW, all it takes is a phone call for the BEST engine buying experience in the industry, bar none...
Old 04-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Actually, in Physics Heat Transfer, the BME 110X's thinner cooling fins will actually dissapate heat quicker then DA's bigger heavier cooling find even though the DA's fins will absorb more heat energy.

** sorry for poor spelling, had to fix it (I was at work when I typed it)
Old 04-07-2004, 11:50 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: shortman

Actually, in Physics Heat Trasnfer, the BME 110X's thinnger cooling fins will actually dissapate heat quicker then DA's bigger heavier cooling find eventhough the DA's fins will absorb more heat energy.
I haven't sat down any crunched any numbers in a while, but that is what I would expect.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:04 PM
3D Joy

On the other hand, it would take much less time to cook a BME 110 than a DA 100.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:33 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

On the other hand, it would take much less time to cook a BME 110 than a DA 100.
Why? If the heat is dissapated quicker (assuming that is correct, having not crunched numbers)?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Why would you say things like this. I have first hand upclose experience with the BME 110. It kicks *****. It will blow away any da100. If you want the finest, most powerfull, 100 class engine available today get the BME110.

If you want to see thin cooling fins, go look at the huge radials from WW2 fighter planes.

Joe

Old 04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
jongurley

I am not bashing BME I am just making general comments, You can LOOK at the bme and see it has smaller fins, you can LOOK at it and see that it has holes drilled in it, granted they are not in critical spots, and you can LOOK and see all the planes that are flying DA's versus BME's. And all of that about the heat energy dissipation or heat transfer faster than the heat $#$#%^$#^##, it doesn't matter as far has us human's think,,, it might transfer heat faster but when the fins get (full) of heat it can't go anywhere but the motor, if the DA's fins are bigger more total room for dissipation.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:40 PM
DKjens

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

I don't think either would taste good. Who cooks their gas engines short of a carburetor problem developing. If an owner sets the needles lean and doesn't recognize and correct the problem fast, they don't deserve either engine anyway. No, the 110X may not resist mis-adjustment, insufficient cooling air ducting, crashes, or other mis treatment. So, treat the engine the way you're supposed to, and you'll have an engine at least at par with the DA100, but at 2 lbs less. Do you buy a heavier plane, because it stands up to controlled crash landings better, or being handled between flights with no regards to its fragility? I didn't think so. If you value your things and treat them accordingly, the 110X should hold up just fine.
Boy, I've never before started a thread that developed this fast ha ha, and I didn't even start a bashing thread.
DKjens
Old 04-07-2004, 01:23 PM
P-51B

And all of that about the heat energy dissipation or heat transfer faster than the heat $#$#%^$#^##, it doesn't matter as far has us human's think,,, it might transfer heat faster but when the fins get (full) of heat it can't go anywhere but the motor, if the DA's fins are bigger more total room for dissipation.

Ok, so you don't understand the principals of heat transfer, no big deal. The heat does have somewhere besides the motor to go to, it is transferred to the air. If it can be transferred to the air faster, rather than being retained in the fins (making them full ), the combustion chamber components will be cooler.

There is a lot to proper fin design where heat transfer is concerned. Things like thickness, taper, etc are important. Not having crunched any numbers on these engines (probably couldn't do anymore anyway) I can't say which is technically "better", but the BME design seems to be based on sound principal. I guess time will tell.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Scott Claboe
My Feedback: (9)

Somewhere on here there is a 110 Hovering around a 40% plane!That alone is pretty impressive.I still think that both motors kick butt.Once the 110 has some time on it...well we'll have to see.My BME 50 has never missed a beat!!
Old 04-07-2004, 02:32 PM
jongurley

Any 100cc twin can hover a 40% airplane its just that they are lacking on power needed to do it safely,, if you look and listen to the video it is turning awfully hard rpm's to keep the bird hovering, That doesn't prove anything about horsepower of BME's, it is just a conversation piece. Does anyone else have any comments on horsepower between BME and DA, and yes what you guys are thinking is right I am a DA lover but it is with reason, I have seen BME's fly and there is a horsepower difference in the DA's favor. If you are a DA hater than thats fine buy what you like but if it isn't broke don't fix it. I would like to see some honest rpm readings between the two.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:35 PM
P-51B

I would like to see some honest rpm readings between the two.
I agree.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:45 PM
JRozman-delete
My Feedback: (2)

How can you arrive at all these conclusions by just looking at some pics on a thread???

*****EDITED OUT DEROGATORY REMARK*****
Old 04-07-2004, 03:48 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Actually I made that video, the plane hovers at 1/2 throttle and has plenty to spare to pull out. It is no where near "unsafe" and that engine had less than 20 minutes run time, as it is breaking in it is getting stronger.

I think you are just someone that has to argue with everything.

Joe

Any 100cc twin can hover a 40% airplane its just that they are lacking on power needed to do it safely,, if you look and listen to the video it is turning awfully hard rpm's to keep the bird hovering, That doesn't prove anything about horsepower of BME's, it is just a conversation piece. Does anyone else have any comments on horsepower between BME and DA, and yes what you guys are thinking is right I am a DA lover but it is with reason, I have seen BME's fly and there is a horsepower difference in the DA's favor. If you are a DA hater than thats fine buy what you like but if it isn't broke don't fix it. I would like to see some honest rpm readings between the two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.