Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Laser Engines Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 05:08 AM
FlyByNight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Engines Feedback

Has anyone any experience of Laser Engines.
I am thinking about buying a Laser 200v but would like to know if they are as good as the manufacturer's say they are.
Thanks.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:44 PM
2 Piece-RCA

They are better than the manufacturer states. My 300V is the best running engine I've ever seen. You will not be disappointed with the perfomance.
2 Piece
Old 05-24-2003, 12:30 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I have a 100 Laser I have been using for a full Year now with no problems whatsoever. Everyone at our field has commented on how it is a sweetheart of an engine, Quiet, powerful, easy handling.

I have put 3 gallons of 0% fuel through it, mixed myself with they're blend. It's in a Balsa USA Taube, so it doesn't do airobatics, every landing has been "live stick" it ildes down to low low revs and positively purrs.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Matagordababy

Default RE: Laser Engines Feedback

That's VERY good to hear! I saw these Engines in use in the UK a few times with never a cross word spoken, so I bought a 200V for my newest toy, a 70.8 inch Yak 54. Should be plenty of power and since I only do Sport Aerobatics (no 3D), all I'm really interested in is massive power and reliability.

Interesting to read that one Gent is running ZERO Nitro. We use 30% Heli Fuel in most of our big 4-Strokes and love it. Any Fuel Nitro content input / thoughts out there reference my Laser 200V?

Matagordababy
Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have a 120 that has made 20 or so flights with no issues whatsoever and that is running on FAI fuel.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

I have a series 1 300-V. Best four stroke engine I have ever bought.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 PM
TFF

They are designed to be low nitro engines not high nitro screamers like YS. They are about torque not rpm. A Swiss watch of engines. If you dont like the engine send it to me.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Matagordababy

Uh, Thanks I think...
Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 AM
downunder

[link=http://www.laserengines.com/Instructions.htm]Here[/link] are the instructions from the Laser web site. Most seem to enjoy the fact that they run perfectly well with zero nitro fuel but the web page indicates that up to 12.5% nitro can be used for contest performance. I suspect that Laser engines use a much higher compression than most 4 strokes to suit low (or zero) nitro fuels rather than going the other way of getting power by needing expensive high nitro fuels.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have used 10% in my 120 and there is a noticable increase in power but I normally run it with FAI and it runs and idles well without the nitro.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Matagordababy

Makes perfect sense - Thanks for the input Gentlemen!

Matagordababy
Old 12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Matagordababy

I've another question - are any of you shock or rubber mounting the V-Twins to reduce vibration transmission to the airframe? I typically do with my larger motors, but this will be my first experience with the Laser...

Steve
Old 12-04-2010, 03:17 PM
mike109

G'day

I have three of them. 70, 100 and 150. I have flown the 70 a lot and love it. It is very easy to start, idles forever, and has sufficient power. The 100 has had several flights and is very similar to the 100 in the way it handles. And the 150 has only has two flights and is still running in but already it is a really easy engine to use. I think they are really great engines and I am thinking I may get an 80 next.

I also have similar Saitos. They run well too but the Lasers just have some thing in the way the idle that even the Saitos do not have. The idle is rock steady.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:13 PM
fiery

I hard mounted my 300-V. I would not consider soft mounting. That would play merry heck with the carb arm.

The V-Twins run pretty smoothly once they are tuned to their sweet spot. Tuning two separate carburettors was easier than anticipated. I like twin carbs, a little longer to set up, but balance issue assocaited with single carb twins can cause far more grief.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Matagordababy

Thanks for the input.

I've a number of 2+ Cylinder Motors, some run smoothly and some, uh, do not. Hopefully today I'll get this 200V running on a test stand so will know more before the day is out. I worked out the mounting issues to my Yak last night, but now see I've a few more engineering bits to sort before I'll get this thing in the air. This "ARF" will have at least 50 manhours in it before it leaves the ground. Some of these things you can put together in a couple of evenings - not this one. MUCH is left to the imagination, and coupled with a new (to me) motor, let's just say that I am SO glad I started building and flying balsa U/C machines in the '60's, or this machine would spend eternity unfinished!

It's ALL fun and games!

Steve
Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Matagordababy

Gents,

We ran my 200V on a test stand for an hour or so yesterday - lovely, lovely motor! Balanced the Carbs with an Infrared Thermometer measuring EGT and Cylinder Heads Temps - got that nailed at both high and low throttle settings.

Idle is slow and reliable, and throttle response is simply instantaneous. Didn't 'tach it as I'll mount a different prop for flight than used for break-in, but it winds itself up very tight indeed. VERY pleased! I had hoped to complete the installation and button everything up today, but I think I'll spend this evening sealing every available balsa and ply surface - this is a very "wet" motor. Might get a bit better once I am comfortable enough to lean it out a bit more, but for now, let it run wet and cool.

Even though we experienced zero shut downs at idle, I'm still running with an On-Board Glo-Driver in my Yak 54. I want the peace of mind, plus it'll be nice to simplify the start sequence.

One quick question - has anybody had any problem with wooden props on these larger motors? I personally like them as they do not flex as badly, but Laser makes a point to caution to use only Glass Reinforced Plastic Propellers.

Okay - two questions: Round engine cowling (Yak 54) - upright or inverted with baffling as suggested in the Laser brochure?

Anyway, thanks to all for their input - I cannot WAIT to drop the hammer on this thing!

Matagordababy
Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 PM
fiery

I have only ever used a wood prop on my 300V.

It idles fine. It is a Bambula 20 x 8.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Matagordababy

Do you or have you ran yours inverted? I'd gotten away from inverting engines whenever possible for lots of reasons, but Laser is calling for the 200V to be mounted inverted if inside a Radial Cowling for cooling reasons. Thoughts?

Matagordababy[sm=71_71.gif]
Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 PM
fiery

It has only ever been run inverted. Laser's have no issue with this.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Matagordababy

Good enough for me! Inverted it is.

Matagordababy
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Gord, I am hesitent to post about things I no longer own, but I had a 1.80 V-twin and an older .70 single. You will absolutely love the howl the V-twin makes at full song. Very reminiscent of an older Chevy V-8. The .70 was like a Swiss watch.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Matagordababy

I hear you! I've LOTS of Engines. Singles, Twins, Radials, 2 & 4 Stroke - you name it, but to date I've never been this impressed with an Engine on a Test Stand. Somehow I think I will feel the same spiraling this baby at full throttle on takeoff. This keeps up, I'll be offering some motors on eBay so I can replace them with more Lasers!

'Gorda [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 03-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Matagordababy

Okay, back to the Yak 54 with my Laser 200V bolted on. (I've been out of the Country on business for a while, but it's time to set this thing FREE). The VERY last thing on my checklist for this machine is CG. Frankly, I'm horrified at the amount of weight I need to add to the Nose to bring this thing within parameters. My 200V allegedly weighs 42 Ounces all up. I've built a "weight shelf" over the Motor to extend the Arm, and so far have added 12 Ounces of Weight, and for certain I am NOT there yet!!! Another 12 MIGHT bring it in, but Lordy Lordy, this machine wants weight on the Nose!

As these Yak 54's are pretty much "Scale", this is actually understandable to some extent - the Russians put Tank and Tractor Motors on their Airplanes, so an extended Nose was neither necessary nor desired. With RC Models these days light weight powerhouses are the norm, but they fit the Yak 54 "Weight and Balance" profile poorly.

Okay, so the question is this - has anybody else experience the same shock and horror I feel today with adding WEIGHT to the Nose of a Yak 54 to bring it into CG Limits?

My Brother, Cousin, and assorted other flying buddies think I've lost my mind adding this much weight to the Nose, but in my experience as a 35 Year Pro Pilot (Helicopters and Airplanes), CG IS IMPORTANT!!!

Thoughts?

Matagordababy[sm=72_72.gif]

Old 07-03-2023, 11:29 AM
kentland8
My Feedback: (27)

Do you know what the HOP rating is for the 333v?
Old 07-04-2023, 02:25 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE=kentland8;12776932]Do you know what the HOP rating is for the 333v?[/QUOTE

Laser 360v | Laser Engines

Are asking about the Laser 300 or the 360 V- twin, Thanks, Dave

Each prop listed and the rpm at which it turned would have it's own hp rating. An unimportant number at best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.