Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Engine for Somethin Extra

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Engine for Somethin Extra

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Jaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for Somethin Extra

I have a Somethin Exra ARF and need a recomendation on which engine to put in it. I want enough power to pull up from a hover. I was thinking about a 2 stroke but I did a search on the website and maybe a 4 stroke saito 70 would be the best? Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 08-12-2002, 03:17 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

There has been many threads on this one. Use the search function and enter somethin extra engine.

Should keep you reading for a while
Old 08-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Flying Scotsman

Default OS 50 SX

I'm thinking of using my OS 50SX on my SE. Though, I've still to build the SE....I have a Saito 72 on my US 40 and it flies great - although I am still learning areobatocs this is a great engine / plane combo.

Happy Flying
Flying Scotsman
Old 08-12-2002, 07:30 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default Irvine 53

I have heard this is a great combo.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:39 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I have a YS .53 on mine. Excellent performance with a 12x6 or 13x5 prop. No balancing problems and lands like a leaf.

The only improvement I'd make to this setup would involve swapping out the .53 for a .63
Old 08-12-2002, 09:59 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat as you.........Got a SE and need a engine. From what alot of guys say, the SE likes a 2 stroke.......As in a Irvine 53..Which I think you will find that that is the most popular....I bought a used NIB Irvine 46 on here, so I went with that. If time permits me to finish it up, I hope to give a report on it.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:15 PM
deputydog

Default Which engine

I've had 2 SE's both with YS-53 attached to the nose. I would definitely put the YS-63 on it. 4 Stroke kicks butt on this plane! And as said in a previous post it will land nice and slow like a leaf!
The torque is the key with the 4S (as in torque roll!!!)
Old 08-12-2002, 11:34 PM
Jaco

Thanks for your replies. I thought about the YS-63 but they are hard to find! Other options may be a OS .61 fs (although I've heard the rear needle setup is a pain in this plane) or a Saito .72 (also has a rear needle setup?).
Old 08-13-2002, 01:30 AM
SearchMan

Hey Jaco,
Which field are you flying at? I'll be at Keiselberg (Sp?) this Saturday with my Saito 72 powered SE and you can see for yourself how this plane flies with the light but powerful Saito 72. I've got 78 flights on my SE and I think I have only adjusted the needle valve for different props (a couple of times). It just runs like a champ.

Send me your phone number and I call you.
([email protected])

Jim Scott
Old 08-13-2002, 01:31 AM
rleffert

I have an SE with an OS 46fx. It is ok... I also have an Irvine 53 and if I were doing things over, I would put in the SE.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:54 AM
visioneer_one

Default hmm.

Originally posted by JT-Indiana
I was in the same boat as you.........Got a SE and need a engine. From what alot of guys say, the SE likes a 2 stroke.......As in a Irvine 53..Which I think you will find that that is the most popular....I bought a used NIB Irvine 46 on here, so I went with that. If time permits me to finish it up, I hope to give a report on it.
My SE was a gift from one of my flying mates. He built it and flew it for a while with an Irvine .46. He also had the stock landing gear on it, and was limited to 11" props maximum. It wasn't all that great. It took a while to ROG, and once airborne flew fast, straight lines (not a whole lot of low-end thrust with the smaller props)

Once it was in *my* hands the 2C went away, as did the stock gear. In their place went a spare YS .53, an old 13x5 SuperM wood prop and a set of taller landing gear from TNT.

Now its airborne in 10 feet at WOT... 20 at half throttle. Thanks to the Big Prop its quite the low-speed aerobat... got plenty thrust when I need it and plenty drag when I don't.

The key here is the Big Prop. For high-alpha flying the plane really shines when you've got a big 'ol fan up front pushing air over that thick wing... small props just don't cut it. If you use taller aftermarket landing gear you can achieve a similar affect with a .46 by using an APC fun-fly prop (12.25x3.75), just try not to break too many @ $7 bucks a pop

As for me - I'll keep on using big, cheap props (APC 12x6 right now-I've run out of the 13x5 Super Ms, and the Zinger replacements suck). I'm also keeping an eye on the Swapshop for another .63
Old 08-13-2002, 02:45 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Jaco
Thanks for your replies. I thought about the YS-63 but they are hard to find!
I bought one last week from http://www.Quantummodels.com. The price was pretty good, but not as good as http://www.CentralHobbies.com. Although the free shipping made the difference very small... I bought from Quantum because they had both the YS .63FZ and the Irvine .53 in stock and placing one order was worth the extra money to me.

FYI -- I put the new Irvine on my 2+ year old kit built SE. It is a drop in replacement for the .46FX that I had in there. I'll know tomorrow how well it runs...
Old 08-13-2002, 10:39 AM
Sewerdude

Where do you get the taller replacement gear for the SE? Does it bolt right up? I'm interested in this. Thanks ,JT
Old 08-13-2002, 11:11 AM
Jaco

Originally posted by SearchMan
Hey Jaco,
Which field are you flying at? I'll be at Keiselberg (Sp?) this Saturday with my Saito 72 powered SE and you can see for yourself how this plane flies with the light but powerful Saito 72. I've got 78 flights on my SE and I think I have only adjusted the needle valve for different props (a couple of times). It just runs like a champ.

Send me your phone number and I call you.
([email protected])

Jim Scott
Hi Jim,

I'm flying out at Keiselberg. I'll be there Saturday AM and would like to check out your SE. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2002, 01:34 PM
visioneer_one

Where do you get the taller replacement gear for the SE? Does it bolt right up? I'm interested in this. Thanks ,JT
I got mine from TNT Landing Gear Products.

http://www.tntlandinggear.com/store/..._List_Gear.htm

The part you'll want is their LG-177, $20 bucks. They don't come with any mounting holes in them - just use your old gear as a drilling template. When drilling into the gear use a sharp drillbit and put a drop of oil onto the spot you're drilling. No sweat.

Here's a shot of my SE's nose, showing my YS .53 installation, the new gear from TNT and the Big (13") Prop. Note the scratch on the YS valve cover... I did a low-speed inverted pass, and touched the rudder. Unfortunately the nose touched right afterward. Oops! Broke the motor mount and knocked the tail loose. Fixed it that night and flew it the following weekend.

Old 08-13-2002, 01:44 PM
visioneer_one

Default One more

Left side of the fuse. I had to cut a space in order to clear the YS's rear-mounted needle valve, and that's about all. The engine dropped right into the mounts in place of the Irvine .46.

All the gear is mounted in the stock locations. No extra weight was required for balancing - the receiver and rx battery are tie-wrapped to the servo tray right on the CG. I've thought about moving the fuel tank back closer to the CG but it flies so nicely as-is I don't see the need to screw with it.

Old 08-13-2002, 01:49 PM
SearchMan

Default SE Engine choice

Hey JT-Indiana,

I got my taller gear from www.tntlandinggear.com. I went from 1" ground clearance to 4.5" ground clearance and the gear is beautiful. The gear is one oz heavier than the stock gear, but I still have unlimited vertical - just lost the ability to do an inverted flat spin. I guess I will have to move some stuff around and make it tail heavy again so I will flat spin. I did have to drill some holes in the gear (used my old gear as a template).

SearchMan
Old 08-13-2002, 08:51 PM
Sewerdude

Thanks for the info! I'll be ordering one fore sure. VisioneerOne, I noticed you ran the antenna out the side of the fuse. I've got the Red and White SE and stilling putting it together. But anyway the instructions say to run it though the bottom of the fuse. Just was wondering why you went out the side. Thanks, JT
Old 08-13-2002, 08:55 PM
Sewerdude

One more question, Visioneerone I noticed also that you used a Dubro tail bracket. I'm about to that point. I do know that you have to do some modifying to the Sullivan to get the guide wires to attach right. Did you have do do any mods to the Dubro to get it to work. Also did you run a wire up to the rudder or just tell it castor? Got a pic???. Thanks JT
Old 08-13-2002, 09:13 PM
SearchMan

JT-Indiana, I tried to attach a photo of my modified tail bracket with a caster type tail wheel - works great on grass, not so great on blacktop.

SearchMan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21388_943.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	13428  
Old 08-13-2002, 09:19 PM
Sewerdude

Thanks forthe pic Searchman. Were you able to use the stock guide wire screws to attach the Sullivan? or were the stock screws to short? Wish the sullivans would get off back order! Thanks, JT
Old 08-14-2002, 02:22 AM
rcuser006
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by SearchMan
JT-Indiana, I tried to attach a photo of my modified tail bracket with a caster type tail wheel - works great on grass, not so great on blacktop.
Looks like that tailwheel has seen better days!
Old 08-14-2002, 02:26 PM
visioneer_one

Default more Pics.

Just was wondering why you went out the side. Thanks, JT
Because I almost always run my antennae through the side.

Heres a shot of my SE's radio compartment.

I put a strain relief on the antenna right after I took this pic. Never noticed that I'd forgotten to put one in when I set tpe plane up originally.

Note the oil-stained rear canopy bulkhead. That's what happens when someone runs in 2C engine on an SE with the canopy off
Old 08-14-2002, 02:46 PM
visioneer_one

Default tail Pics.

One more question, Visioneerone I noticed also that you used a Dubro tail bracket. I'm about to that point. I do know that you have to do some modifying to the Sullivan to get the guide wires to attach right. Did you have do do any mods to the Dubro to get it to work. Also did you run a wire up to the rudder or just tell it castor? Got a pic???. Thanks JT
No mods. The tailwheel is attached to the rudder in he conventional manner.

Personally I'd have gone with something similar to the Graphtech tailwheel brackets, as the piece that attaches to the fuse is completely flat. I could then just drill an extra hole to mount the tail struts.

(Pardon the dirt.)

Yes, the rudder is attached wrong. You should have seen the gaps in the control surfaces before I sealed them! Big enough to throw a dead cat through. Remember - this one was a gift, I didn't assemble it.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:12 PM
SearchMan

Default Maverick

Yup, that tailwheel is history - it evaporated after about twenty flights!

SearchMan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.