Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mig 29 vs Tomcat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mig 29 vs Tomcat

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 09:28 AM
HankHill
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mig 29 vs Tomcat

Or is it just powered by a jet kitten?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jm33676.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	201329  
Old 12-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Mig 29 vs Tomcat

Better stretch and twist that "catgut" reaaaaaaaaal tight to get that Mig off the ground.LOL I don't think I wanna hear that tomcat howl when you light the fire!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 09:40 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Flood your turbines than hit the start button with him further back
Old 12-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

ORIGINAL: Jetflyer 24

Flood your turbines than hit the start button whit him further back

LOL Come on now Don't go and risk a perfectly good turbine with a cat.Sorry Not a cat lover here at all personally,my Pitbull looks at them as a small noon time snack. [8D]

I am also getting a good visual of a burnt kitty kat ,what really comes to mind is when that cat got toasted by the christmas tree lights in Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase LOL.That was a funny***** movie I need to break that dvd out again as a matter of fact for some good ole Xmas holiday spirit

Steve
Old 12-11-2004, 12:35 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Hey

I didn't realize that new Jet Cat Kitty was out.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:03 AM
AirPac Models

What power the new Jet Cat Kitty ?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:03 AM
razorice79

Thats a pretty small pu$$y cat you have there..dont forget to make a custom hatch to go over her head..

pretty funny..
-RaZoR
Old 12-11-2004, 10:36 AM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

Oh come on now....obviously powered by milk!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:53 AM
tomcatman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, funny you should say that about Christmas Vacation, I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!!! LOL I met Chevy Chase on 2 occasions while delivering packages to his home in Bedford, NY (FedEx driver), GREAT GUY!!!
Hey Hank...is that the TGA Mig 29? What will you power her with?

Richie
Old 12-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Steve S

LOL

Richie,I am a huge Chevy Chase fan!! My all time favorite from his is definately Funny Farm tho-now that was a complete riot from start to finish!! What ever happened to Chevy anyways? He just dropped off the scene completely -he's too funny a dude not to be on the big screen anymore

Steve
Old 12-13-2004, 01:06 PM
HankHill

It is the Top Gun Mig 29. Byron fan with os .91 and short pipe(Weston?). I just shot the first top coat last night. Not too far from flying it.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:37 PM
rcjetfan

hmmm i wonder how many G's the kitty can pull.... and when you land after a hard day of flying with her in it i have the perfect warning triangle for you.."Pull T Handle to Jettison Canopy and Run Like Hell Mad Cat onboard" lol
Old 12-13-2004, 01:38 PM
tomcatman

Weston pipe you say??? What a coincidence. I'm currently building a Y/A F-16 for OS 91/Dynamax/Weston Pipe myself. Please tell me if this is the same pipe you're using. I'm interested in knowing what other form of retainment I can use other than the single spring clip. I got a few ideas from other users already, but i'm always open to new ideas. Thanks

Richie

Name:	Zw69533.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	202473  
Old 12-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Steve S

Hank

You will absolutely love the way your TGA Mig flies.I had one & put many fun filled flights on it ,it was my first DF jet in fact.What a tough jet-mine sure took a severe beatings & man is it very stable.Has no bad habits at all & one amazing glide slope.It is so stable in fact that once I flammed out right after liftoff & quickly banked it around with what little airspeed I had & landed it dead on the center line of the runway.

One good piece of advice I'd like to share: Just look at your Weston pipe very good ,I had 2 of them & they were notorious for the pressure nipples and/or the exhaust baffles coming lose.I had many dead stick landings as a result of this.Once one of the baffles actually came out and shot straight thru the fan impellor & pierced right out the fuse-left a good size hole in my plane.Needless to say I had to replace an impellor & what a scary sound that was in flight too.From what I heard they have since taken care of these nipple & baffle issues?? Just check them good cause the biggest problem with the pressure nipples was that they were only taped into the pipe which is very thin in that area with no buildup-in fact so thin that the presure nipple only gets a full 2 turns of tightening.I simply took mine to a local welding shop & had them brazed on & never gave me a problem every again.Good luck & have a blast with it!! You'll love how it flies

Steve
Old 12-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Steve S

Richie

Ohhh I almost forgot to mention this till you asked about in your post.The stock spring setup is a pretty bad design in my opinion cause it puts so much stress on those very thin springs.The springs will rip thru the small holes in the flange in no time!! Happened to me several times then I got fed up with redrilling new holes so I simply got a plumbing hose clamp of correct size & used that as a retainer with beefier springs from a Home Depot(altho you can get them from any hardware store)Not the prettiest thing but it sure worked good for me-never had a problem with pipe coming loose cause of the springs pulling thru the flange

Steve
Old 12-13-2004, 02:52 PM
HankHill

I was thinking of using the retainer the TGjets sells. Looks too hard to make myself. Has anyone used it? Kind a pricey @$25. It looks like it should fit the Weston. Need to call them anyway, started the cockpit and found my Mig driver has two left arms!
Steve S - Did the pipe you have trouble with have ANY brazing done at the factory? Mine appears to have some.

Name:	Mj24470.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	202487  
Old 12-13-2004, 04:05 PM
tomcatman

Steve, the plumbing clamp sounds like a really good idea. Considering i'm not making a fashion statement (LOL), I really don't care how it looks so long as i'm assured the sucker won't come loose. I have a home depot 2 blocks from home and i'll certainly look into that.

Hank...I really like the retainer TGA has. The problem is, if you'll notice in the picture of my pipe above, the pipe has a flange and I think that there's really no way of getting that retainer onto the pipe. If I could, that would certainly be the way to go for me. If I find some kind of alternative at home depot, i'll give you a heads up. BTW, is this the same pipe that you have? I'm curious....thanks again fellas. Regards...

Richie
Old 12-13-2004, 04:34 PM
HankHill

Tomcatman - I do have the same pipe as you(Byron version). If you look at the pictures on the TG website that octagon bit come apart and then clamps back together. I'm sure it would work. I will wait to see what you come up with. I don't care what it looks like as long as it's bombproof.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Steve S

Hank

No, the 2 Weston Byron style pipes I had did not have any brazing done from the factory.That was the whole problem to start with .On the earlier Weston pipes such as mine the proper steps weren't taken from the factory to assure that the pressure nipple area had ample enough strength or thickness to keep it from working itself out.As I said earlier the pipe material in that area was just thick enough to be able to accept only about 2 or (3 at the very most) of the threads on the pressure nipple.The main problem I found was with the exhaust baffles working themselves out.I finally just took mine out & oddly enough I didn't see a loss in power or an increase in Db from doing so.The nipples coming loose was further enhanced by having excess fuel line flapping around in the plane ,so make those as short as possible to make matters better there

Again to recap my understanding is that Weston has sorted these issues out & these aren't problems anymore with the newer ones.This was a few years back when I had mine.If it were personally me just to be safe I'd still get the pressure nipple brazed on good at a weld shop (it shouldn't cost much to do it) & I'd also do the clamp retainer option for it is a very postive tight bond(much cheaper than buying the upgraded one that you guys are talking about) Lastly Check your exh. baffles very good too especially after a few flights.As I said I had one come out & it cost me a fan unit as a result.I noticed on both of the pipes I had that they had loose baffles after just a few flights.The big plus side with these Weston pipes is that they are quite a bit quieter & add a noticeable amount of power to your jet

Steve
Old 12-13-2004, 08:55 PM
tomcatman

Hank, bombproof is definitely the key here but I hate to disagree with you. I looked at the octagon shaped retainers and they only have a split on one side with one set screw for tightening it onto a straight pipe with no flange. If it had a split on both sides enabling the retainer to be separated into two halves, then it would work on this Weston pipe provided the diameters of both are more or less the same. Do you follow what I mean? Look closely on the TGA website, only one split on these retainers. There's just no way of getting them to slide on over the flange of these pipes. VERY UNFORTUNATE, I really like this retainer system. I'll let you know what I come up with though. Thanks again....

Richie
Old 12-13-2004, 08:57 PM
tomcatman

PS....I think a little JB Weld on the nipple would do the trick. I'll be using Pitot pressure from the fan unit anyway, but it should be a good safe guard to keep the little suckers from coming loose and becoming a jet damaging projectile within the airframe!!
Just my 2 cents....

Richie
Old 12-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Steve S

Richie

Fan pressure(pitot) is the best way to go man!! I only ran pitot on my dynamax & ramtec setups. Especially nice cause if your pipe should come undone you still have pretty decent fuel pressure & your motor will still run good so you can setup for a nice landing thereafter

Jb Weld works ok in most cases,I have never used it myself personally.I do know a few here that used it & in some cases it didn't hold long.I think It really depends on the surface,how good you prep it before applying it,etc..I do know that a some guys here used it on mufflers & pipes and after awhile it broke lose in high heat situations.I don't think the heat ratings on that stuff are as high as they claim it to be.Just my 2 cents

Steve
Old 12-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Terry Holston

The TGA tuned pipe retainer will work , with a slight modification. ust cut the other side and drill and tap it so it will come apart and then reinstall behind the flange on your Weston pipe.

I have one in my flight box, and can measure the opening if you need me to.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:56 PM
tomcatman

Steve, thanks for your input pal. I had heard exactly the same thing regarding pitot pressure, which when you think about it, it only makes sense.

Terry, by all means, please give us a measurement of the inside diameter of these retainers. I for one would certainly like to know if it'll fit nicely over these Weston Pipes. It's amazing how some things that are so simple just don't come to mind. I would never have thought of cutting the other side of these things to make them go over my pipe. Naturally, i'd strongly suggest drilling and tapping it BEFORE cutting it. This will certainly assure that the holes on either side for the set screw line up perfectly. Thanks for the tip buddy and please don't forget that measurement. Anyway, time to go back out into the cold and look up to the stars for the passing Geminid Meteor shower. They are absolutely stunning!!

Richie
Old 12-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Terry Holston

The hole in the retainer measures slightly under 1 and 1/8 inches. I dont have anything here to measure it with except a tape measure. Iwill bring home my digital caliper tomorrow if you need more accurate measurement than this.

Yes, drill and tap before sawing in half is the way to go. Just duplicate what is on the side that already has the cut. should be a pieceacake. [8D]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.