Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Merlin Powered Kingcat Video today!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Merlin Powered Kingcat Video today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 09:12 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Merlin Powered Kingcat Video today!

http://www.my87.com/video/merlinkingcat.wmv

It's certainly got the push.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:47 PM
seanreit

Default RE: Merlin Powered Kingcat Video today!

Couple of interesting notes:

This Kingcat has the muellar "third" smoke tank however used as a Fuel Tank. My timer is set at 13 minutes from take off not taxi. I have only gone into the third tank on three flights and I was on the throttle the nearly the entire 13 minutes on those flights (full bore).

This flight didn't even come close to going into the third tank.

At take off, by bird weighs 40lbs fueled up. The merlin will take all that so verticle, the camera man could not keep the camera on it.

About two minutes into the flight I have unlimited accelerated verticle (no peter out).

The burp in the beginning of the video was camera man, not mine (but good burp nonetheless).

I've got around 50 Merlin flights now. I have had a couple of hiccups with them, but most importantly what I've learned is that this is no jetcat in the sense that with Jetcat, you hit the go button and go fly. There is a lot of "tuning" so to speak to get this engine to perform, you have to be patient (which I am not) and really learn what all the parameters are. Everything changes even just on what battery you are using or what the temp is outside. You have to learn how to find the sweet spot so to speak.

Once you have it though, oh boy.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean

Glad to hear you are loving the Merlin!! I have only seen one perform in person here and it is an amazing engine with tons of power!!

On a unrelated note,how is the Super B coming man??We just mounted the Titan in the Super Hornet today & putting her up next weekend before heading off to Liberty Bell the following weekend for some good fun!! My Super Bandit has a Simjet 2300(25 lbs of push) but won't have time to get her ready to go to Liberty Bell with us

Steve

Old 07-24-2005, 10:12 PM
seanreit

Super B will be RTF in about two weeks. It may maiden at Lubbock, but if not, I'll bring it to GSW.

I got a travel case for it, so should be able to make some of the west coast and east coast stuff next year.

Good Luck on the Hornet!
Old 07-24-2005, 10:14 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You need a new camera man!!! he sucks.
Ive taken out the Super Bandit the last couple weekends and nothing compares. CAnt wait to see yours.
Scott
Old 07-24-2005, 10:19 PM
seanreit

Maybe if the airplane was RED

I can't wait to see the SuperB fly too. See you at Lubbock, I'd say I'd race ya, but that would be against the rules

I can't agree with you on the camera work, I've known Dick for three years, he's a good guy, and got voted to work the camera by three other club members, he did the best he could Considering yesterday he stepped in and told me I couldn't fly (and rightfully so, I'd forgot my fire ext.). Was glad he lent me a hand.

Take Care Scott, see you soon!

Sean
Old 07-24-2005, 10:39 PM
hpghost
My Feedback: (2)

seanreit,

do you mean that sometimes you merlin does not start or stops in the air?
or it is just that the response is not always the way you think it should be?

reno,
Old 07-24-2005, 10:45 PM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: hpghost

seanreit,

do you mean that sometimes you merlin does not start or stops in the air?
or it is just that the response is not always the way you think it should be?

reno,
Both, I had some flameouts related to the combustion tubes (for lack of better term) that were too close to the combustion chamber walls, not good misting of the fuel and going from low to high the engine would flame out (only on jamming it from low to high).

Then I had some failed starts where the propane would not kick off. So I dumped a lot of propane, still not light. Found out that the amps pulling off the duralite (when the duralite is low on voltage) the glow plug was dimming considerably. This was a very long scratch of the head and only finnanly pinpointed that problem today.

The stop fly on duralite is higher voltage for merlin than for jetcat (in my opinion).

I was also putting in too much propane on some starts and weather conditions were such that I was getting too high temps and got a rub on the turbine wheel to ngv. The rub left a dimple (for lack of better term) and then subsequent starts the wheel would catch.

Took the tailcone off, saw where the rub was, used a utility knife to take off the nub and works flawless since.

In my mind, it's like a high powered jett or nelson two stroke, it takes some tuning, but once you got it all set, it puts out the blow.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:27 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Very impressive performance, Sean. congrats. and by the way,did you stopped the Isobar project?
this turbine would be a sweet one for that plane.

BR, Enrique
Old 07-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh yeah! Enrique has that right. The PERFECT Isobar Jet A reactor!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:55 AM
seanreit

I do have a second Merlin for the Isobar. The bypass was just delivererd to me two days ago for this engine. I ordered it April 20th.

I have yet to be delivered the pipe I ordered for the Merlin.

The isobar is in the paint booth. I have no idea at this point when it's gonna fly.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Woketman

Sean, as for the Isobar pipe: roll your own bro! Its easy. I stopped using the aluminum foil over the outside approach a few years ago. Aluminum air conditioning ducting available at the hardware store works perfectly!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Sean

Thought you were putting the Merlin in the Super Bandit?? Whatcha got planned for the Super B now as far as paint scheme & turbine choice??

Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 07:52 AM
seanreit

SuperB is scheduled to have Titan or P-120. Titan is not back from routine service yet, P-120 is on hand and certainly plenty of push for that airframe.

Wocket, unless your willing to take an all expense paid vacation to Austin anytime soon, I'm gonna stick to products out in the marketplace.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:31 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

sean

the audio part of the video shows considerable gunfire from the ground....during christmas we flew our hornet there unarmed..but ....due to the triple A coming from the guerilla forces on the ground we now fly there fully armed....and cocked locked and ready to rock

now i know that your kingcat flew unarmed ....but to solve this problem i suggest you talk to david reid ...as he has some bombs he could get to you

now as far a potato gunfire coming from the ground i suggest some chaff or other defense systems that we are working on

c u in austin this weekend....where as i will again be attaching some of my dna to your new bandit

hornetdriver
Old 07-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Woketman

Perhaps arming the Hornet with a butter, sour cream, and bacon bit sprayer would help in the high-spud aerial engagement environment!

STS-114 tomorrow, liftoff at 9:39 AM Central Time! Damn the ECO sensors, hit the launch button!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:39 AM
seanreit

Gregg, I'm hosting a party on the lake for 3 guys and their gals that I've known for 15 years. My best friends and interestingly all current members of American Fighting Forces. We all try to get together every two years, and this year we're setting up camp about 2 miles from Dan's house, right on the water. You and Paul need to stop on by and have a beer or two. We'll be running the grill 24/7 and burning BOOKOO 3 buck a gallon in the seadoos, jetskis, and boats. RV will be on site and AC on high. Bring one of Dan's float planes, I just acquired one and should have it flight ready this week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd94017.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	301247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66941.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	301248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40869.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	301249  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:43 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

woket

>>>>Perhaps arming the Hornet with a butter, sour cream, and bacon bit sprayer would help in the high-spud aerial engagement environment

damm good idea

as far as the launch goes......best of luck to you and all of america...and it will be nice to get you back from your extended stay at work

btw....when they go 3....2....1 launch ( cajun drawal here ) ...that does not mean go eat!! :-)

gregg
Old 07-25-2005, 04:07 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sean,
Are you running the BV bypass and tailpipe in the SB?
My SB is plenty fast with the 120. And i like to go fast.
Scott
Old 07-25-2005, 04:11 PM
seanreit

Joey said he made me what he made you guys?? Is what I have different than what you are running? I have a titan, 120 and '70. I'm still up in the air as to what to actually put in it. I've had very good recommendations on all three of those powerplants. John Redman said the Titan bypass and pipe will work for the other two power plants, so I guess I can try them all
Old 07-25-2005, 04:15 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Sean and Scott,

Are you guys running the Tam stainless nozzle with whatever pipe you are getting?

Thanks

Matt
Old 07-25-2005, 04:19 PM
seanreit

Matt, mine will have one, I don't believe those guys have one. I was surprised when I got it. You have to build it into the bvm provided piece, it's not all one unit ready to go.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:24 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes mine is all installed and ready, but it is limiting the diameter of the pipe I can run, I was just curious if you guys had worked the details on the integration of the outer pipe to that nozzle yet.

Thanks

Matt
Old 07-25-2005, 04:27 PM
seanreit

No, and I'm glad you said something as based on your statement, I may not want it. Then again, I'm sure it's not al that much to get another tail piece.

What dimension are you able to get? 85MM? More?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:28 PM
seanreit

I just got mine in maybe five days ago. It was on "backorder" whatever that means. It's definately a neat add on. I had them on my Eurofighter, always got great compliments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.