Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

hahahaha!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 04:27 PM
spareanychange

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hahahaha!

Just been spyin on the traxxas forum n dropped a couple of Questions in. hehehe, i said - who would win, a STOCK revo or a STOCK savage 4.6? and all they wimpered on about was a big block revo would smoke a savage. LOL! jebus, is it me, or is the answer simple, and one 6 letter word. S A V A G E
Old 12-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Technito20

Default RE: hahahaha!

I happen to be a big HPI fan myself. I love my Savage a lot. I am sorry, but unfortunatley The Revo will beat any of the Savages in a race. It has been proven. On a long flat road, the Savage 4.6 can keep up with the Revo but just not in a race. Anyhow, anyday I'd choose HPI over Traxxas. I don't wanna start a HPI versus Traxxas issue, but HPI Trucks and cars have always been more durable, better built and typically geared faster than Traxxas. I'd just have to disagree that the Savage 4.6 is faster than the Revo.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:49 PM
spareanychange

i was on about straight line, but now u have posted a different oppinion this stupid post is gonna b swamped!!!! lol
Old 12-03-2005, 05:20 PM
DaveG55

Never raced a Revo, have ya???? You might be surprised by the results.

ORIGINAL: spareanychange

i was on about straight line, but now u have posted a different oppinion this stupid post is gonna b swamped!!!! lol
You're right about 1 thing........This is a stupid post
Old 12-03-2005, 11:39 PM
lstsavage

Uhhhh, my stock savage smokes both of my best friends revos, the revos have about 1.5 gallons a piece, and i also blow away this other guys savage. the revos are both tuned welll also. I broke it in really hard, has lots of snappy power, accelerates extremely fast. i beat my friends revo with my motor running extremely rich also. dont know what all you other guys are talking about, guess i just got a good motor.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

They mean on a track.... In a straight line on pavement the 4.6SS will hand the Revo it's ass, with both of them tuned properly (and obviously both stock). Yes, I'm sure.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:37 AM
DaveG55

Serious question here.

Why is everyone so proud that a truck running a .28 size motor will beat one running a .15 motor?
Would you not expect to beat a similar vehicle by a wide margin if your motor is very nearly twice the size of the competition?
It almost seems enbarrasing to brag about it.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Nanuk

Good point DaveG.

Nanuk
Old 12-04-2005, 11:22 AM
12Stones

Also they are different 1/10-1/8 they are 9lbs and 12lbs the extra weight makes up for the larger engine size I don't care about the speed factor but I know I can bash harder than my friends revo without breaking.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:24 AM
bibo

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Serious question here.

Why is everyone so proud that a truck running a .28 size motor will beat one running a .15 motor?
Would you not expect to beat a similar vehicle by a wide margin if your motor is very nearly twice the size of the competition?
It almost seems enbarrasing to brag about it.
IMO the Savage and the Revo are the best trucks out there and they are both in the same price range and although the Revo has a .15 engine it's much lighter than the Savage which makes it much closer in performane.

At the end it's power to weight ratio that counts and not just engine size.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's also about gearing, but since some are using 3-speeds... they already know that.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:35 PM
spareanychange

what about carbon fibre TVPs?????? does it make it much lighter?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:48 PM
DaveG55

Ok, so theoretically, we're still talking stock 4.6 vs stock Revo, right?
Those are both 2 speed so gearing won't be a factor. I know it makes a difference but we're dealing stock for stock so it's not a factor in this.
The power to weight thing is, so far, the only thing that makes sense to me so I did some checking. I'm not using exact numbers, just stuff I picked up in a quick search and some numbers that have been posted in this thread so if I'm way off please post the numbers you believe to be correct.

Revo - about 9lbs and 1.33hp = about .15hp/lb
Savage 4.6 - about 12 lbs and 2.9hp = about .24hp/lb

Ok, that's not quite as dramatic as doubling the ratio but it is close to a 60% increase, so....
My original question stands....

Why would beating the Revo with a Savage 4.6 be something to brag about??

It seems to me that the Revo owners should be proud that their "little" truck is considered legit competition for the 4.6.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anger anybody. It just seems about the same to me as someone with a stock Mustang GT bragging the beat a stock v6 Camaro.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:15 PM
bibo

The K4.6 found in the SS 4.6 was dynoed @ 1.34 HP by Nitro Dyne Systems , I am not sure about the .15 engine found in the Revo , but I don't think it's that much overrated like the K4.6.

http://www.nitrodynesystems.com/Engine%20Database.htm
Old 12-04-2005, 01:25 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

It's Traxxas' fault for putting a .15 engine in an MT
Old 12-04-2005, 01:38 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

It's Traxxas' fault for putting a .15 engine in an MT
Heck, if you get right down to it isn't the whole MT thing Traxxas' fault???
Wasn't the Pro.15 T-Maxx the first true MT? At least the first real popular one anyway?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Wizz Kid

something isnt right with that dyno test thing......
Old 12-04-2005, 10:25 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a fairly inexperienced racer, but at the local track last night I finished 4th out of the 10 monster trucks that raced. I drive a Savage LE with the stock 25 motor and I was one of two Savages against no less than 8 Revos.

I was kind of jittery in the driver's stand, so I was paying close attention to my own truck rather than watching what everybody else was doing, but I did notice two main points:

1) The Revo drivers did not have to slow down as much through the corners as I did.
2) My Savage dusted any nearby Revo in the straightaways.

Even though I'm not the best driver and I did make the corner marshals work a good bit, I left that track with a grin. I think that the reason so many people like to brag about the Savage being faster than the Revo is due to the way the Revo drivers talk down about all other monster trucks.....don't tell me my truck is not as good as a Revo, because I just beat several of you to the finish line, and I still don't know what in the hell I'm doing.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:08 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: icecreamslick

I am a fairly inexperienced racer, but at the local track last night I finished 4th out of the 10 monster trucks that raced. I drive a Savage LE with the stock 25 motor and I was one of two Savages against no less than 8 Revos.

I was kind of jittery in the driver's stand, so I was paying close attention to my own truck rather than watching what everybody else was doing, but I did notice two main points:

1) The Revo drivers did not have to slow down as much through the corners as I did.
2) My Savage dusted any nearby Revo in the straightaways.

Even though I'm not the best driver and I did make the corner marshals work a good bit, I left that track with a grin. I think that the reason so many people like to brag about the Savage being faster than the Revo is due to the way the Revo drivers talk down about all other monster trucks.....don't tell me my truck is not as good as a Revo, because I just beat several of you to the finish line, and I still don't know what in the hell I'm doing.
That pretty much sums it up. The revo is a better handling truck, no argument there, but the difference isn't so much that you can't compete with them at the local club level.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Alexey

ORIGINAL: Mopar_Muscle

Definitely! Some engines are supposed to produce almost double the power, according to manufacturers' spec.

Maybe they used "untuned" pipes for their tests?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:53 PM
azzman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mopar_Muscle

Its not that something isnt right with that dyno testing thing...thats the only thing that is right...its the manufacturers claims that something isnt right with.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:18 PM
PSG-1

A lot of their arguments are stupid though. People are saying well if you put a BB in a revo it'll smoke a savage.... yeah duh that's twice the power of the stock engine what do you expect? Power to weight ratio.... that's the key. If you stuck an engine twice the size of the .28 in a savage it'd probably scream too.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:28 PM
spareanychange

i think i could solve the whole handleing issue with 8 small pieces of fuel pipe, just use the pipe to lower the savage and itll handle like a dream. now, i still consider that stock cos i have a few pieces of fuel line lying on the desk infront of me! thats hardly hopping or modding!!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:26 PM
bibo

or you can get this low CG racing chassis from HPI :

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...L=++&search=Go

The Low CG chassis plates reposition the engine a full 12mm lower than the stock chassis improving the handling of the Savage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63621.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	365397  
Old 12-05-2005, 06:09 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

this guy was racing a Savage at a big race, and it was so low, it looked exactly like a truggy, and finished 3 place out of all the Revo big-blocks, TNX's, and LST's. How is that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.