Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

building a P59 AIRACOMET FROM GRUMANIA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

building a P59 AIRACOMET FROM GRUMANIA

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:50 AM
monza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a P59 AIRACOMET FROM GRUMANIA

Hello Everybody,

Last week I embarked on my very first JET project. Since I am new to Kerosene I was looking long and hard for a beginner Jet that actually looks like a real Jet. I came across Ilja Grum's P59 which is not only a 1:7 scale model of the (not so famous) P59 Airacomet, the first ever US army Jet build by Bell.

The kit is NOT an ARF but it is very well thought through and of high quality (German Style.... IT WORKS).

Is there anybody out there who has build this kit before? I am keen to share experiences. I will try to update this thread as I build my P59.

The website to get a first impression is www.grumania.de

cheers
Andre
Old 04-19-2006, 01:34 AM
AsiaSRC

Default RE: building a P59 AIRACOMET FROM GRUMANIA

Keep this coming! any pictures of the kit look like out from the box will b great.

Albert
Old 04-19-2006, 02:08 AM
monza

out of the HUGE box you mean.... I started building but I can take a few shots of the components, no problem.
The kit was delivered (from Germany to Singapore) for below 100 Euros via Airmail. 10 days... incredibly cheap for a box the size of a coffin...
The kit comes EXACTELY as pictured on the web site. I ordered the retracts and the trust pipe as well from Grumania. No hassle to make those crucial components fit on the first attempt this way.

The engine that will go into this baby is a WREN54 SS
Old 04-19-2006, 02:47 AM
AsiaSRC

Just wonder there are panel lines and rivets because cant really see clearly from website pix.
Just has to agree that this plane has all the features for a trainer and a scale model too, if panel lines and rivets are there. One stone two birds!.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:07 AM
monza

Yes, the finishing of the fuselage is really superb. The whole construction is kept super light, very thin lamination yet very detailed.
With the formers in place the whole structure becomes VERY solid.

The wings need some panel lines added after glassing. There is a very comprehensive Picture CD included in the Kit where the Panel Line creation is clearly described. Rivets are also easily added (in relative terms of course [8D]).

Old 04-19-2006, 03:56 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andre,

Are you aware that there has been a build article on this aircraft going on in the past two issues of RCJI ?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:31 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice airplane for sure. I REALLY didn't like the way the retracts had to be setup. Plywood stops to keep the wheels from poking thru the upper wing surface and the really funny slew they had to be in to "maintain scale operation".
Pi$$ poor German engineering in MY opinion.

Keep the thread going with some pics please.

Dave
Old 04-19-2006, 04:39 AM
monza

mate,,, that issue was due to a construction mistake of the author of the article. I spoke to Ilja about this... so let's not jump into conclusions mate. I am a positive FAN so far
Old 04-19-2006, 04:55 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: monza

mate,,, that issue was due to a construction mistake of the author of the article. I spoke to Ilja about this... so let's not jump into conclusions mate. I am a positive FAN so far
Mate,

From April/May 2006 article page 43 right hand column 3/4 way down:

"Ilja is currently working on alternative solutions involving thinner wheels, revised oleo legs and gear doors. Again this means that the legs do not fully lock in the up position. Ilja advises that this compromise is necessary......"

I see nothing about a construction error as Ilja was consulted about this and is working on alternatives.

Nice airplane though. If the retracts aren't 100% then misery is in store.

Dave

Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Paul Turbine Jet Man

geee thats a bit harsh rcguy[]

when was the last time you heard of a jet new to the market that never had a problem ?

i just think give the guy a chance and some credit thats all. he is a dame good builder and im sure he will look into the problem.

just my 2c
Old 04-19-2006, 09:06 AM
monza

dude i read the article and spoke to Ilja. Let's see what comes out when putting my retracts in . I will double check with the manufacurer and ensure i build according to plan.

I get your point but I am sure this thing will turn out well.

I will anyhow keep you guys posted.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:35 AM
tahfiet

Hi guys!

We have just finished building the P-59. Just some minor inastalations and it's ready for maiden. Well, the retracts are a funny job to do, but not impossible. And that without that awfull piece of timber, you just have to check your retracts before you start painting. I always get things right and done before I start finishing a jet. Whatever. The only thing you need are small hands and long fingers to get everything inside the small fuselage.

We have made the Mystic Mistress which has an open cockpit just in front of the canopy. That makes some things easier, but you loose some space for batteries, airtanks.... We will go with a 6 cell ecu-battery and two Lipos 2S1P 1.500 Kokam for the rx. That will definitely and up in more lead in the nose, but that is easier to store than big NiCads which will be banned in europe from summer on.

Only major change we made was the elevator-control. We switched from one carbon tube with a U-shaped wire on the end to two smaller carbon-tubes, one for each elevator. If you have any questions during your construction, feel free to e-mail me:

BR,

David
Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 PM
monza

Hi David,

Awesome, I must say that I enjoy building the P59 so far. Would you mind to post a few picutres of your bird (specially the main retracts and maybe the way you have installed the electronics and other internal components?).

Since this is my first Jet I am always keen to learn from people who have the experiece.

I will post picture soon.

Thanks
Andre
Old 04-20-2006, 02:30 AM
monza

interesting link here on SteelDragons.net. They plan to build the P59 as EDF version. Well, I love the smell of Kerosene but there is a rather fast growing community of EDF fans and the thought to fly such a big bird as an EDF is for sure exiting. I hope they pull the project off and give us all some interesting insights into the everincreasing powersource of LIPOS

http://www.steeldragons.net/airacomet.html
Old 04-25-2006, 04:51 AM
monza

front part formers glued in. Quite some sanding required but thats part of the fun.
I have added some carbon re-inforcements. Make sure that the formers dont bulge the thin fuselage in order to ensure that the engine hatch fits properly after gluing the main formers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95551.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	450664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80220.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	450665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12789.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	450666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24871.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	450667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33300.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	450668  
Old 04-25-2006, 05:46 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The details on it look great.

Have you got any topside pictures of it ?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:27 AM
tahfiet

Hi guys!

Here are some "quick and dirty" shots of my dad's Comet. It is still a little too shiny and needs a decent weathering, but we want to fly it first. Tried a new technique for "peeled-off" paint, but it is not exactly what I wanted.... but I am happy with the Misses. Did all the painting with Corel and got tailormadedecals to print them. I love her

David

Name:	Ay73651.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	450767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82935.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	450768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22948.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	450769  
Old 04-25-2006, 09:47 AM
monza

awesome pics David... love the RED..... was the opening in front of the cockpit original?
have been searching the net for original material but not that easy to find more than Ilja has provided on his CD......

Sonnich, I will put up some top side pictures ASAP... am on the road for a few days but will try to post more over the weekend....
Old 04-25-2006, 02:08 PM
tahfiet

Hi Andre!

Yes, they had two or three P-59 with that cut-out. It still needs a windscreen and some leather on the edge. The have put a seat infront of the cockpit. First they used it to show the generals how cool jet-flying is. Later they had a stick and transmitter to fly a drone. The Mystic Mistress was the control-plane for the Reluctant Robot, which was painted in orange (the one reviewed in rcji). It is not sure if it was red or black. It was first painted in olive... There are two different books featuring the P-59. One is called flame-powered and the other one is from Steve Ginter, not sure how it is called. Two different decal-sheets are available from meteor products for a 1:48th plastic-kit. I used them nd the books to draw the decals. If you want I can post the scans of the decals from work. There are a couple of olive ones and a couple of silver ones. I do like the striking colours of reluctant robot and our mystic mistress. The british colours that Ilja used on his prototype are very nice, but camo-scheme is uncool on small and fast aeroplanes on a grey german sky . Another one has a black or dark blue fuselage and yellow wings and stab and NATC markings on the wings. That pretty much is it.

Best regrds,

David
Old 04-25-2006, 02:19 PM
tahfiet

Hi!

I just found these pics at modellingmadness. They have review the decals.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Dave Cline

Hi David,

I think we must try at some time to fly Mystic Mistress and Reluctant Robot together........Ilja may buy us a beer!

If you have any trouble getting decals I would refer you to the article in RCJI which may help you.

Kind regards

Dave Cline
RCJI reviewer Grumania P59
Old 04-25-2006, 08:14 PM
monza

Hi Dave,

I hope you have not taken any offence regarding the retract chat in this threat. I do apologize if this was the case. I loved your review and use it along with the picture cd-rom from Ilja as a building instruction. My first instinct (before i read part 2 of your review was to paint my comet orange as well since rc planes are drones of some sorts....). I may now go for the dark blue (fuselage) yellow (wings) navy version.

I cant wait to hear how the comet flies..... if you can reveal anything ahead of Part 3 of your review then I would be extremely keen to hear about it.

Here is a nice link with some awesome shots of the real thing
http://www.ipmstoronto.com/articles/...omet/Index.htm

Rgds,
Andre

Name:	Pn36435.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	451132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25693.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	451133  
Old 04-25-2006, 08:22 PM
monza

David,
It would be great if you could post the decals. I am also receiving any day now a complete decal set from Ilja with EVERY inscription that was on the original. I can email you a screen shot of the decal set. This will give your bird the final scale details.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Dave Cline

Hi Andre,

No offence taken, the retracts are a bit of a fiddle to set up to your liking, have you installed yours yet? Next issue of RCJI will give you a flying review albeit a short one as the weather in the U.K. has been and still is a bit marginal for test flying, but I will say that you have nothing to fear for your test flights - she`s a *****cat infact she would make a perfect turbine trainer, just makesure that you get the CG right, mine was, maybe, a little rearward for the first flight but even then she was more than managable and that was in a 25-30 mph wind! I think Ilja said a P59 was lost last year due to a CG problem - check it well.

let me know if you need any info on the build extra to the RCJI articles.

kind regards
DC
Old 04-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Dave Cline

wonder why it removed "*****cat" ? when all I was refering to was a small cuddly furry animal ?

strange world we live in.............

DC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.