Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
its great buy it
80.00%
theres so many probs save your money
20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

should i get the x?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:28 PM
C Jar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get the x?

i was thinking about buying the sav x until i heard about all these problems with the spur gear and the rotostart and the slipper clutch... ect.
what does everybody think? it would be my first nitro or any rc really, i a newb.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: should i get the x?

Why do so many ask a questiong like this in the Savage thread I think you need to buy a Revo.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:56 PM
C Jar

46u,

this is because i read so many posts that the savage x is awsome, and a bunch that it has too many problems. i don't think its a bad truck, to be honest, i don't know what to think, im a newb. im just trying to find out what everbody thinks, straighforward, if they like it or not.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

C, there are a few things you need to remember. first, tomorrow i'll have my "check your savage over" sticky...I got done taking pics for that tonight, and I lost the text, so I'll write that up tomorrow.

there's nothing wrong with the spur gear and slipper setup. only thing that really SHOULD be replaced as soon as you get the truck are the clutch shoes, because the stockers DO slip, heat up the clutchbell, and make the spur melt. IMO there are NO other problems with the truck, my X has a hair over 2 gallons through its original mechanicals (never used the stock pipe or stock clutch shoes) and 1.5 gallons through the original engine. I've been running nitro for years and i'm actually happy with the engine

anyway...there are no inherent design flaws to the X regardless of what anybody says. I say you should grab one yesterday
Old 05-24-2006, 10:10 PM
46u

Sorry do not have an X all so do not have a Revo. I can say I really like my Savage 4.6SS. I am just joking around. If I where to get an X it would have to be the SS as I like building mine and putting in a good radio system.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:29 PM
chubbysuncle

I just bought an X and so far I love it. I will say if it's your 1st be patient and follow the instructions. Its been a little more finicky than my small truck but it's built for abuse and so far is running better with every tank of fuel.

Thunderbird what clucth shoes do you recommend? Mine seem fine so far pulls wheelies easy. Also what pipe and much better performance? I've got the stock 4.01.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:44 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

chubby...i'd recommend the Losi aluminum shoes that are supposed to go on the LST, just because they're cheap and come with 1.0 springs. they're about $3 cheaper than the Ofna shoes most people use.

yeah, it pulls wheelies...but you'll be amazed at how much more power you put to the ground with a GOOD clutch, you'll HAVE to put that 18t clutchbell on there to keep the front end on the ground

Also, if you haven't done so yet...SET YOUR GEAR MESH. if you don't you WILL strip a spur gear

like I said, there'll be a new tutorial that hopefully will be stickied that i'm doing tomorrow, so you'll have clear instructions for setting gear mesh and everything
Old 05-24-2006, 10:49 PM
C Jar

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

like I said, there'll be a new tutorial that hopefully will be stickied that i'm doing tomorrow, so you'll have clear instructions for setting gear mesh and everything
what will be included (other than gear mesh)?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:53 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

basically everything you should go over when you first pull your Savage out of the box. My truck won't LOOK like yours (lotta aftermarket parts in the couple months I've had it) but all the processes will be the same. wait till tomorrow when I get it all written up...I'd do it now, but uh...I just got home from the bar not too long ago
Old 05-24-2006, 10:58 PM
LivingLegend

about the clutch shoes in the savage x, i replaved mine because with the ofna alum ones because of what i have heard from everybody and im not impressed. the stock ones seemed to grab better but i cant do a good comparison because i changed to the 18t clutch bell at the same time.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:07 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

living, i bought the Losi ones actually because they don't have any anodizing. I've got a feeling that the anodizing doesn't help them grab.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:20 PM
LivingLegend

ive pulled it apart and looked at it since and it sure dosent have any anodizing anymore. im not 100% sure that my clutch shoes are alipping, it could be something else, but i dont know what else it could be, i have a alum spacer i made instead of a spring on my slipper and thats real tight so i wouldnt expect it to be there, the clutch is the only other option i can think of.

over time will the springs soften up and make the clutch more grabby, or will the shoes wear and make it less grabby?
Old 05-24-2006, 11:54 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

LL, are you running a spring at all? if not the slipper could still be slipping.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:39 AM
More Juice
My Feedback: (44)

The savage is an awesome truck. There are always little problems in every truck. Savage has been in the market for awhile, so it should have the least amount of problems
Old 05-25-2006, 12:42 AM
BuddyOne

Get a savage! It's a good basher and fun truck. Not recommend for racing... too heavy.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:58 AM
LivingLegend

LL, are you running a spring at all? if not the slipper could still be slipping.
for the slipper i am using an aluminum spacer and i have it cranked down pretty tight, if it were the spring it would be more than enough to compress it all the way. if you are talking about clutch shoe springs, then yes of course im running springs.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:02 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

LL, try running the spring, and a washer. somethin just doesn't sound right.

maybe your collet is worn out?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 AM
LivingLegend

LL, try running the spring, and a washer. somethin just doesn't sound right.

maybe your collet is worn out?
im still somewhat new, what do you mean by collet? i doubt that my slipper is the problem, i have good reason to beleive that it is just the clutch working. i dont have a lot of grab off the line, but i have great smooth acceleration. it just does not do things like whellies, or if i put if facing a curb, it will not spin the tires when i gas it(well maby it might, im afraid to sit there and gas it like that), something slips instead of spinning all 4, but other than that drivibility is good.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:02 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

LL, there is a cone-shaped brass collet behind your flywheel. on any car, especially RTR's, there's a chance the flywheel nut was loose from the factory, which let the flywheel loosen up. the collet keeps the flywheel tight on the output shaft of the engine. if the collet is slipping, then it would give the illusion that your clutch is slipping, and you'd see similar symptoms of a really slippy clutch.

that's gonna be covered in my little thingie tomorrow too:P
Old 05-25-2006, 02:15 AM
LivingLegend

LL, there is a cone-shaped brass collet behind your flywheel. on any car, especially RTR's, there's a chance the flywheel nut was loose from the factory, which let the flywheel loosen up. the collet keeps the flywheel tight on the output shaft of the engine. if the collet is slipping, then it would give the illusion that your clutch is slipping, and you'd see similar symptoms of a really slippy clutch.

that's gonna be covered in my little thingie tomorrow too:P
brillant, that sounds like it might be it. i have not taken my flywheel off or really looked at how it was attached to the output shaft of the morot, if there is something that can slip in there, that sounds possible to me. i guess ill look at your tutorial tomorrow and see if i can fix up my problem. hope its an easy fix, i dont want to have to take my clutch shoes off and put them on again, that was a pain.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:18 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

LL, might as well get an Ofna clutch shim kit while you're at it. if you space the clutch nut out just a hair, you can just push the shoes/springs right on with no problems at all.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:02 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C Jar, I'm sure T-Bird and some others are just waiting for me to say something and to get all on my case(no offense to them or anybody else), but it's a free country/forum so here's my $.02:

I was in exactly the same boat last year as you are now. Back then I asked around if the Savage 25 was good, compared to the Revo, LST, etc.. ALL you heard back then was stuff like "it's not good for racing because it rolls over, but man it's tough as nails and can survive some abuse." Based on my asking around on forums, the response was unequivocal: the Savage 25 was CLEARLY the best of the bunch if you wanted something tough, reliable, and capable of handling your mistakes(the kind of mistakes you're bound to make that lead to 30-yard cartwheels for ex..) An that was OUT OF THE BOX - no RPM arms or other upgrades that for the other models seemed required..

Anyway, I went to the LHS and touched/looked over a Savage 25, and the quality and solidity of it just jumped out at me.

So anyway, I got it, and long story short I love it. It has WAY more than lived up to my expectations and proven itself beyond all doubts. It was worth the money after the first gallon and everything since then has been bonus enjoyment and based on that I'll be a Savage fan forever.

But..., I bought the X with the idea of having a 2nd truck to tune up. Immediately after taking it out of the box it was like a totally different product. You've probably seen my posts about the X in other forums, so I won't rehash it all here.

It's only my opinion, and on MUCH if not most of it I may well be wrong. Let me be totally clear about that.. But every time I reconcile myself to keeping it something else pops up that makes me just want to get rid of it before having any major hassles(I have €800 in it and am currently trying to sell it for €560 but most likely nobody will buy it..) The last thing of that sort was hearing from my LHS that they're not going to sell them anymore because there have been WAY too many problems and complaints. And more than just SG's and Rotostarts. I'm not bashing anything or anybody by that. It's just a fact - take it for what it's worth(the guy is a total a..hole BTW..) It may very well not be worth much.

Furthermore, I've done plenty of battle in support of Savages on German forums as well(there's A LOT of anti-HPI sentiment in Germany, based largely on their pricing.. Germans seem to really rave about the Thunder Tiger MTA4 in its place.. That's just random info..) but now that so many people have bought the X here based on the Savage's reputation built up - way up - by previous models, and that they've been having SO many problems, the barage of criticism is undeniable. LOTS of people have been disappointed by it.

And, as you can see on this forum, lots of people seem to have been happy with it.

I'm sure now the other guys are going to jump all over my case and quote little bits of what I've said and call me a moron or whatever. I'm only giving you my $.02, and $.02 isn't much (compared to €800...) I only wrote this to make it clear I'm (yes, very) critical of the X(though fair, I think..), and that I could be wrong about it. So I hope that's clear.

Anyway, if I were in your shoes and could find one, I'd unhesitatingly get a Savage LE.....
Old 05-25-2006, 09:08 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

I'm still waiting to hear what problems YOU PERSONALLY have had from your X.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't had any problems with it, because I haven't driven it, because I want to sell it, because I think it's an inferior product, and I don't want a €600 inferior product.

I've got nothing against you guys - I've stated over and over again it's only my opinion and that I may well be wrong. But from forum to forum to my LHS to looking at it on my table right now, there have just been WAY too many problems with it and I don't trust it.. It also looks small, BTW, which I don't like. Part of the reason I'm thinking MTA4 or LST2..

I've always been interested in having the best for what I want to do - bash. That's why I got the 25. But now, for a second truck, it's a tough call. There seem to be a lot of bashers out there shifting towards the LST2. www.nitrobashers.com(think that's right..) out of Australia for ex. has been putting out some cool bash vids, as well as some others. And from what I've seen, they're not mamby-pamby racers, but they beat 'em pretty hard.

That said, I'm still not convinced the LST2 is tough..

Here's my X BTW:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83578.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	466365  
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 AM
canucksrc

Hey Patrick,
that is a great looking X. You never drove the thing!? Fire that baby up and have fun with it. Doubt it will sell on ebay anyway.

You missing out,
P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.