Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant scale spinners

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:59 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Giant scale spinners

Hello, I have had a Tru turn spinner and it went unfortunatley bye-bye, I need another spinner for my 30% extra running a Zenoah G62.
I saw this Dave Brown at Cheif Aircraft

DAV 8240 Spinner 4" Standard 2 Blade Aluminum Vortec, Dave Brown

Does any one have experience with Dave Browns as it is Only $40.oo compared to $110.oo from Tru turn with Zenoah "modifications" and precision drilled" extras needed

If I was to go with the Dave Brown. How do I know it will work with the props I choose or do I need to cut it myself to fit my application.

Thankyou,
Jeff
Old 06-14-2006, 09:13 PM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant scale spinners

Stick with the Tru-Turn. They cut, drill, and balance to suit your needs.

Harry
Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

CF spinners are nice. Several sources, but I have found some not to be balanced so well. I have run both Tru Turn and the Dave Brown spinners with good results.

There is a big downside to running the CF spinners. Its best to drill your spinner and props at he same time. This of course is not an issue with your Tru Turn style spinner. They do have some being released which work on the same idea as the Tru Turn spinners. Chip Hyde is supposed to be releasing them I think.

For me I just determine the spinner by where I need my weight. If I need more nose weight I put on the Tru Turn or Dave Brown. CF spinners tend to be more for weight savings. I also noticed that CF parts in general make my wallet much lighter.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:43 AM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure wish Tru-Turn would make an "Extra " style spinner. For scale shaped Extra spinners, Pete Model composite spinners seems to have the closest to scale appearance.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:44 AM
bhanley

I have used both with good results. Dave Brown will cut and drill backplates just as Tru-Turn does.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:50 AM
airborneSGT

Yeah I really like the CF Extra style spinner. Troybuiltmodels.com will do all the cutting and drilling for you! However, I must admit the Dave Brown Ultimate style spinner is really nice too...and yes they do all the custom drilling and cutting you want.

Go with one of the above brands and you will be alright. I would avoid the off brands or no name brands for safety sake. I think we all have had a bad experience at some point with a lesser quality spinner.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:07 AM
jw637362

Thanks for replies -
@HarryJ - Tru turns are Very nice - Quality is Excellent and they are precise in their machining. But seeing 120.00 plus get scuffed or dinged on a rough landing / nose over etc.. is a real pisser. I actually plowed my 31% into the ground after an attack from the flutter monster. Just looking for the alternatives before I take that plunge again.

@airborneSGT - I thought of Carbon Fiber but would be in a worse boat than with the Tru turn, If I had a CF nose cone, damn, I would have to buy a Carbon fiber prop.... JUst for the sake of looks alone would cost me over 200.00 bucks.
In the aspect of utilizing it for weight, This is not a factor on my plane.

This is for scale aesthetics only - IMO - these planes look "re-dik-ool-us" without a nose cone.

@Bass1 - I agree with your statement on the Extra style spinners, As a matter of fact - My Carden drawings state
"Use 4" - P-51 style tru turn spinner." Go figure.....

Please let me reiterate the question of "If I was to go with the Dave Brown. How do I know it will work with the props I choose or do I need to cut it myself to fit my application.
I will most likely be using Menz or something similar in a wood - No Zingers -

"DAV 8240 Spinner 4" Standard 2 Blade Aluminum Vortec, Dave Brown I like the looks of it.

It seems that there are only 4 different styles / manufacturers of spinners out there for big birds.
Tru-Turn
Carbon-fiber?
Possibly Chip Hyde carbons
Dave Brown.
Just for conversation sake I saw that Tru Turn has there nose cones anodized in different colors for the smaller stuff. Be cool if they had larger ones anodized.

Jeff
Old 06-15-2006, 08:28 AM
AeroDave

I have a friend who runs Dave Browns and like them. I've always run Tru Turns. I just put an old 4" P-51 on my new CAP. I've had that spinner for years. Just a bit of polish and it still looks like new. My problem is I can't find a replacement bolt for my 4" Ultimate (G62) so that one's down for a bit. I would say stay with Tru Turn. Barring the unforseen ( I ran one through a fence once) they will still run smooth and look good for a long time. Money well spent.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:17 AM
airborneSGT

Well at least you are on the right track for wooden props. Its shame to see a DA 50 with a ZINGER! Spend all that money to use a paint mixer up front.

Wood props that rock:

NX
Bolly
Menz
Vess

ect.

How do you know if your prop will fit your spinner? Easy enough. Most spinners have a big bird cut or a 120 cut standard. That wont work for most larger props. You simply have your spinner cut to accept the widest blade possible and then you know that anything else in that range will work.

In english: If you have a 4" spinner and want to run any kind of prop in your range, get it cut for say a wide blade prop like NX 22x8 or similar or 28x10. Then you know anything smaller will fit ok.

This is what I do with all my aluminum style spinners. CF is not so much a problem because I can grind them and cut them much easier to desired size. They also paint up nice.

Trust me when I say that lightening a plane often times makes the wallet loading much lighter as well!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:18 AM
jw637362

I think I am leaning toward the Dave Brown this time, No one has actually said "NO Good" I understand that they are made a little lighter and won't hold up to a hard smack very well. But after Airbornes comment that Dave brown custom cuts and drills the spinners as well -
I do not like the idea of the screws all around the edge of the CF Spinners, Especially on a Prop swap day trying to find the best application.Those holes for the screws will eventually fail / strip out / get wallered out, less likely the metal in the prop bolt.

@ AeroDave - my last application I had my local bolt Guy - Fastenal - Get me a couple of high grade stainless steel allen head bolts , I believe it was 8-32, measured distance and cut to length, I redrilled and tapped the stock Zenoah prop bolt to 8-32 that has the hole already in it that came with the engine.

Thanks Again, Jeff

Old 06-15-2006, 09:21 AM
airborneSGT

Yeah I will be honest that on my CF spinners more often than not I dont even fly with the spinner cone on. Its a PIA to get that stupid thing on and off and not strip screws and not loose screws. You must use locktite or bye bye spinner. The cool factor is all that matters though right?

A Dave Brown with lightened back plate and all is just as nice IMHO.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:48 AM
jw637362

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

The cool factor is all that matters though right?
You know it, Tis all "bout Da- Bling Bling

I just got 2 - purple anodized arms for the throttle and choke plus a purple anodized flilter, Sweet looking now, but people say "You won't see it anyway, what's the point"
They just don't understand.
also, Miscommunication, First post I stated G-62, no DA-50 on this one.

Jeff

Old 06-15-2006, 11:23 AM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I dont think anyone has mentioned these, but they are my favorite aluminum spinner. For carbon, I like the pete model, but drilling all the props are a pain.

www.paragonaero.com
Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 PM
jw637362

Wow, Thanks flyinrazrback -
Never even heard of paragon aero and they seem to come into about the same price as Tru turn, little lower. Same thing though, All parts milled from single piece of bar stock.
Do they drill them for your engine specs as well less the 3w configuration as I see they state that one.

" Never mind, THey come with the bushings for 3/8 which I need and are pre cut for Menz props which I am using. Boo Yaa
Good to know.

Jeff
Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

The paragons are extremely nice, as nice or nicer than a tru turn, plus they come polished already. He will cut if for whatever prop, and drill them, etc. They are a great spinner that a lot of folks do not even know about or consider.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

I have a 6in Dave Brown on my Ultimate. no issues here. run into the same problem as a Tru turn, needs adapters for the bolt to fit. Dave Brown has those as well. so far, several have said it looked like a Tru turn, but i tell its a Dave Brown. good quality too, and easy on the wallet!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

Ever since I went to Giant Scale four years ago, all I've ever used is Paragon. Great spinner, great company.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:07 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually cut my own spinners for props so that is no big deal for me. However, I do like how easy this is with the new CF spinners. I have about half of my planes outfitted with these now with no issues other than handeling. They are much more fragile than aluminum. One of my planes rolled into something while tranporting and cracked the spinner cone.

I also like the weight reduction when combined with CF props and the throttle responce. They are feather light, so ballance dosen't seam to be an issue. They can also be sanded and painted with good results.

Price, CF in the giant size is about the same as True Turn, my spinner of choice in aluminum.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
JerryBien

ORIGINAL: Bass1

I sure wish Tru-Turn would make an "Extra " style spinner. For scale shaped Extra spinners, Pete Model composite spinners seems to have the closest to scale appearance.
Bass1,

We, AirWild, do have exactly what you are looking for; a NOVA "Extra" style spinner in several sizes. Our NOVA line spinners are are CNC machined from 6061 bar stock and come precut for various aerobatic props. Back plate has DA/3W 6-bolt pattern predrilled and is lightened also. No extra charges for all these features 'cause they are all standard

Quality is ... well, you be the judge of it but we are extremely confident that they will stand up to anything out there

NOVA spinners are avilable in Extra, Ultimate and FAI styles. More information can be found here;

[link=http://airwildhobbies.com/MoreInfo.asp?title=product&level=2&id=41]NOVA Extra-style spinner[/link]
[link=http://airwildhobbies.com/MoreInfo.asp?title=product&level=2&id=5]NOVA Ultimate-style spinner[/link]
[link=http://airwildhobbies.com/MoreInfo.asp?title=product&level=2&id=16]NOVA FAI-style spinner[/link]

Regards,
Jerry Bien
[link=http://www.airwildhobbies.com]AirWild Hobbies[/link]
[link=http://www.airwildpilotshop.com]AirWild Pilot Shop [/link]
Old 06-20-2006, 03:02 PM
3D Joy

Pete moels spinners are actually less expensive than any aluminum spinner.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:08 PM
JerryBien

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

Aluminum or carbon fiber; to each his own. One thing for sure though. They are different beats sufficing different requirements. $$ comparison is like apple vs. orange. Pick one and enjoy it!

Old 06-20-2006, 08:29 PM
3D Joy

ORIGINAL: JerryBien

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

Aluminum or carbon fiber; to each his own. One thing for sure though. They are different beats sufficing different requirements. $$ comparison is like apple vs. orange. Pick one and enjoy it!

Yes, that's what I do, I pick the lightest [>:] and one of the least expensive . Maybe a bit fragile but my planes fly better than they crash...[8D]
Old 06-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Flyfalcons

I have two DB spinners, one is a 5" normal style on my Comp-ARF Extra, and the second is a custom-cut (by DB) 6" Ultimate style monster spinner for my Lanier Edge. Both are good quality and much less expensive than the tru-Turn equivalent.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Bass1

Jerry, Your Nova Extra spinners look great, unfortunately I need a 3 inch spinner for my 27.5% E 260. I ended up getting a Tru-Turn "Special" spinner which looks kind of goofy! Just curious, What size spinner does the new Airwild Extra 260 use?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89804.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	480613  
Old 06-21-2006, 10:52 AM
JerryBien

ORIGINAL: Bass1

Jerry, Your Nova Extra spinners look great, unfortunately I need a 3 inch spinner for my 27.5% E 260. I ended up getting a Tru-Turn "Special" spinner which looks kind of goofy! Just curious, What size spinner does the new Airwild Extra 260 use?
Bass1,

Thanks for the compliment. The smallest NOVA Extra style spinner is 4 in. at this time. As for our Extra 260, it uses a 4 in. size.

Jerry
AirWild

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.