Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Ever get a little nervous with first gasser?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ever get a little nervous with first gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:33 PM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever get a little nervous with first gasser?

hey guys. Me and my room mate decided to jump up into the gasser size planes this year. I actually sold the SD-33% Yak to my room mate who has been flying for about 15 years ( me about 8 months). I didn't think i was going to have the money to finish it , so i sold it to him. Now things have changed , and i can afford to build one myself. sooo.........i'm ordering up a new SD-33% yak. Probaly have enough to finish it and have it ready to fly by about mid April.

My Room mate will be the first one to try the gas sized planes , so it isn't as bad for me as it will be for him. But do you guys remember the first time you jumped up to the gasser's? we're you a little nervous at all.

I'm not worried on my flying skill , because i think i'm a pretty good pilot. I'm a little nervous of either getting a deadstick at low altitude or having some type of an elec issue where i lose all control. I guess for only flying for about 8 months , i have had both of those things happen to me. Lost one plane due to a elevator servo locking up on me in a down position right above a 100' oak tree..it was ugly! And another flew all day long really good , until i did a 15' offf the deck hover , and the motor died.

If your gas motor , weather it's a 3W , DA , BME or whatever , and you have it tuned to the best possible settings , do you ever get any deadstick landings? besides tuning issues , what are the most common things to go wrong with gas motor besides bad tuning? Non-efficient baffling ? Running out of gas? Low ignition battery ? Throttle servo went beely up? I'm just trying to make sure i can have the most reliable running motor you can get.

I'll be running some type of spektrum system , with a 3W 80 or 85 , , running really good hitecs like the 5985's and 5955 for rudder and so forth.

Jeff
Old 03-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ever get a little nervous with first gasser?

Truthfully, with my first gasser my knees were shaking everytime I flew it for about the first 40 flights. Being used to glow I just couldn't bring myself to trust the gas engines, especially after all the horror stories I had heard about ignition induced RF noise.

After a little time and A LOT of research I discovered that the gassers were, in their own ways, easier to deal with. Once the engine was adjusted on a good carb you pretty much forgot about the needles for months and months at a time. The only time I'd touch them was when I flew at a field thousands of feet different in altitude. Moving from 40 and 60 size hardware components to hardware designed specifically for giant scale brought stronger connections and linkages that were easier to secure and set up correctly. Care in component installations, with an eye towards vibration, eliminated most of the so called RF issues. Reading, and following, the instructions that came with engines and ignitions eliminated the rest.

Regarding flying the bigger aerobats with gas engines there are only a few things to keep in mind. One is that when the engine quits for any reason, which will usually be due to poor tuning and too lean or running out of gas, the nose of the plane has to be pointed down immediately if you want to save the day. Attempts to stretch the glide almost always end in disaster. They don't glide very far. Serious stalls are handled the same way, nose down quickly for a moment to recover airflow over the wing, then add power to fly out of it. Holding full power and full control deflections will deepen the stall with a painful arrival at the ground. Your plane is heavier than they used to be when flying glow.

As for engine tuning, there are hundreds of posts in the engine forum that cover this, but if you're flying and it seems that it's running lean the best thing to do is reduce power a little (you probably have gobs of excess power) to richen the mixture a little. Bring it on in and correct the mixture. Never tune the engine when it's cold. Wait a few minutes and let it warm up first. Max rpm should be developed when the plane is flying straight up, not in level flight. If you're reaching peak in level flight then you're too lean, unless you're flying a racer....

No need to fly fast all the time. You don't need to because of all that wing area and that powerful engine. Better to fly at a speed that lets the plane maintain ful control authority and adjust power to maintain that airspeed on vertical and horizontal lines. Take her up a little high on the first flights. Slow her down and learn when and how she stalls. Do some low runway flybys to see what the perspective will be when you make that first landing. Do these things a few times, not just once. All that helps eliminate surprises at the worst possible time. Practice short approaches after the first couple of flights. Prepares you better for those are times when the engine stops unexpectedly.

Pulling off the power to glide in for the landing is a bad way to make an approach. better to reduce throttle by a bit on the down wind while holding altitude. That helps slow things down and minimize developing excess speed during the descent for landing. Now make your base turn, reducing throttle a little more because you just pointed the nose down for the descent. Use the throttle to control the rate of descent. When she gets at the end of the runway, coordinate throttle for the descent and elevator for the speed. You'll find you're landing slower and under better control than ever before.

Now go fly and enjoy. Bigger flys better!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I still get nervous. Probably about 1000 flights on gasser planes and I still get nervous the first time I squat down in front of it to flip the prop.

These things are BIG. They are EXPENSIVE. And they WILL do some SERIOUS damage if they hit something. You could easily kill someone if you hit them.

I try and concentrate very hard when I'm messing with a gasser. When I get ready to start my plane-- YES, you stand over the tail--thanks for the help ---- but shut up. I need to concentrate so I don't loose a hand while I'm flipping the prop. Don't talk to me or suggest that I try a "new" way of priming and flipping. I got it. I've done this a thousand times. I know how to start my engine. The reason why I got all my fingers is because I have a SYSTEM and I CONCENTRATE on what I'm doing instead of telling the latest disgusting blonde joke as my body is perched in front of a 24" sword thats about to rip the air at 7000RPM.

I like to have fun as much as the next guy. You can harass me while I'm flying. Doesn't mean I'm listening.

I take these things REAL serious. I'm nervous most of the time. I don't want to plant a $2500--$3000 plane and I most certainly don't want to stick it through a windshield or your chest.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
SU-13

i flew my gfasser only twice, and im terribly nervous. but yet im so excited.

harv
Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 PM
crazyjoseph
My Feedback: (3)

Gasers are so much more reliable than glo motors. I have 2 gas planes one with over 400 flights and one with over 100 flights. I use good equipment but keep my setups simple. I have never had a deadstick on my gas planes. IMO the key is to be patient when tunning and check everything on your plane. Their are a lot of parts on these planes that can come loose, from fuel systems, linkages, control surfaces, and electonics. I like to spend a good hour the night before flying checking my plane out so that when i go to the field i'm confident that everything is sound. Now i can concentrate on my flying. I check my batteries every flight. In the end a little luck doesnt hurt.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 PM
byoung466
My Feedback: (16)

Be sure your getting a low idle, mine needs to idle below about 1400 or its tough to settle in to land its best at 1000-1200. If your nervous w/ the lower idle use an idle up switch as a landing condition. They land more like a full size plane, so you have to fly in.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Rcpilot

Thats why I always use either a coreless servo or a coreless digital servo on my throttle.

The coreless digital servo will come back to idle in the same spot everytime. It makes a much more consistant idle for your landing approaches. I've noticed on a standard analog servo that my idle would vary as much as 200RPM. A guy who used to fly at our club told me the digital trick. It works great.

I've been using the JR DS537 lately. It's an analog servo, but it centers very well (all JR servos center very well) Spot on idle everytime. Very consistant and reliable.

Consistancy is the key to mastering your landing approaches with these beasts.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Tired Old Man

R U calling my plane a beast?[X(]
Old 03-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Rcpilot

I'm sure you handle them so that it appears they are kitty cats. I'm sure your a smooth pilot Pat.

But, with me behind the sticks--these things tend to get a bit unruly and snarl once in awhile. Scares the pants off me when it happens. [sm=tongue_smile.gif] You get that sudden stopage of the heart muscle. Then it beats once or twice REAL HARD in your chest and time stands still for a couple seconds. Then your heart takes off pounding in your chest like a jackhammer once you know your going to save it and you got it under control. I think thats when your body dumps an adrenaline load into your bloodstream.

I LOVE that!!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I asked the friend who helped me get into RC and who has been doing RC stuff for about 15 years, if he ever got nervous/trembling fingers or whatever when he flew his models.

He told me yes sometimes that happens and if it ever got to the point where he was never nervous, he'd probably quit since it wouldn't be much fun anymore. Most of the GS/IMAC guys at our local field who I know well enough to ask, have said basically the same thing.

I think that pretty much sums up my feelings about it as well...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:20 PM
JEFFRO503

Well..........thanks guys!! I was kind of hoping other's got a little nervous as well , when flying these "beast's". I was thinking maybe i was just being a pansey or something....hahaha!! I can completely understand how the nerve's tend to get a little shakey , no matter how long you've been flying. Also ZEEB....i guess your right , if it got to the point of where the nerve's didn't get into play , then it would become boring........so why do it i guess. I have raced Motocross for almost 30 years (on and off) , and have raced in and out of the semi pro / INT stuff for the last 15 years. We take alot of chances clearing 70' triple's , hammering whoop's , and huckin out some 110' - 130' gaps at about the 30' level. I have been doing that stuff since i was young , and when alot of my freinds who don't ride , or ride just for fun , call me a total nutbag.......i'm thinking "what"?......that wasn't that big a deal......was it? It's weird how i can still stay pretty calm when riding a bike , but the nerve's bug me a little when i actually race , but when i'm flying my plane , they bug me a little more , i guess because i'm still so new to the hobby. I'm hoping that one day , my nerve's will subside a little more and i can fly my plane like the way i want to fly it. Thanks for all your support , wisdom , and taking the time to ease another pilot's nerve's. I very much appreciate it!!

Jeff
Old 03-07-2007, 10:03 PM
pitts_s2b
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: JEFFRO503

It's weird how i can still stay pretty calm when riding a bike , but the nerve's bug me a little when i actually race , but when i'm flying my plane , they bug me a little more , i guess because i'm still so new to the hobby. I'm hoping that one day , my nerve's will subside a little more and i can fly my plane like the way i want to fly it.

Jeff
It will definitely subside with experience. Same is true I think with any endeavor whether it's flying, racing, speaking a new language, performing in a band, or whatever.

I fly full scale acro (as do a number of guys reading this forum, I suspect). At one time, just landing a Cessna 150 was mental overload. Everything seemed to happen at double speed. You practice and train, then practice and train. Do it enough, and things slow down as you gain confidence so you move on to the next challenge. Eventually talking passengers through various types of inverted spins becomes pretty straightforward.

Nervousness is inversely proportional to your level of preparation and your fuel bill.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:28 AM
JEFFRO503

This has to be one of the coolest saying's i think i have ever heard HAHA!! Awesome !!

Nervousness is inversely proportional to your level of preparation and your fuel bill.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JEFFRO503,

I get nervous every time I take a plane up. I can feel the tension building on the drive to the field. But you know what, that's what keeps a lot of us going, the adrenaline rush. For most of us, if you never got nervous we'd probably look for some other hobby that would satisfy our needs. A lot of guys that don't feel this end up getting out of the hobby. I look forward to every week to get that nervous feeling.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Rcpilot

If your not livin' on the edge--your taking up too much space.

A guy at work was asking me what was so exciting about model airplanes. He thinks it's dumb and says he prefers his hobbies with adrenaline. Paintball, skiiing, etc... No adrenaline in model airplanes.

I took a 60cc gasser to work today and assembled it in the parking lot during my lunch break. I had him stand in front of the stabs and brace himself on my truck, so he wouldn't get nervous or loose his balance.

You should have seen the look on his face when I fired that sucker up. [X(] He just about pooped himself when I firewalled the throttle stick.

Yeah--thereIS just a teensy weensy bit of adrenaline involved here. [sm=punching.gif]
Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 PM
JEFFRO503

HAHA!!........that's priceless!! I've done somethings like that with my buddies around as well........they don't really flick me any carp any more and say it's pretty cool now
Old 03-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Tired Old Man

Send him over to me and I'll take him along the next time. Talk about the occasional adrenalin rush...
Old 03-09-2007, 07:21 AM
torqmeister

I get a rush on every trip to the flying field! Working on perfecting a particular manuever, or learning a new one for the first time, it can be an ever challenging experience.

I get the jitters on every "first flight" of the day, every time I go to the field.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Being a slightly nervous will give you an edge sometimes.

If your very nervous you won't perform as well.

Here is my 2nd Flt from a big project.

http://media.putfile.com/Yak-33m-CARF

I was nervous for a few seconds.

Ian
Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 PM
randy racer

when i took my maiden flight with my 1st gasser a 35% SD yak i was so nerfous we thought i had a rudder servo going bad. my left thumb was shaking so bad i was making my rudder jump back and forth. after i landed we put a little more expo in the rudder so i wouldn't make the plane fish tail. now after hundreds of flights and several big planes the first flight of the day is still full of nerves. after about the 3rd flight i am settled down and get to flying. man i love this hobby!

randy
Old 03-10-2007, 02:45 AM
JEFFRO503

Man i hear ya all. Like what i was saying in my earlier post , racing all the MX stuff was and is still a rush , ......if it wasn't such a rush , i probably would have given up on the sport. But after almost 30 years , those nerves still get me going on the starting line. Once that gate drops.....it's like a switch being turned on , and all the nonsense stops , and nerves have no place in a race. I feel alot of these nerves come in while i'm flying my airplanes.......and i guess it's what i crave. I'm into this hobby because i love the feeling it gives me , and all the new freinds i have made. I'm not done with MX as of yet ( i guess i haven't been hurt bad enough yet) even though i have broken almost every single bone in my body at least once , including punctured lungs , dislocated vertebre , femur's , tibia's.....you name it , i have probably broken it at one time or another. the good thing for me is.......when i wreck a plane it sucks , but guess what........i didn't get hurt. I don't think i have ever posted any pics of my other hobby , so here you guys go......hope ya like em. And yeah.....i think after 30 years of racing , i finally found another hobby/sport i can enjoy..........man i love where i'm at right now!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36105.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	639032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18291.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	639033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54362.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	639034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97897.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	639035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67878.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	639036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79220.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	639037  
Old 03-10-2007, 08:01 AM
randy racer

great pics jeffro, but it does look a lot more dangerous than RC. when i crash one of my planes i walk away with a small limp from wallet pain but am able to go to work on monday and not stay laid up. after all i need to make money for my family 1st and airplanes 2nd.

randy
Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

If you can get the point where your not nervous clearing the triples or can remain relatively calm doing it I would think you will get that way with gassers. I was pretty nervous with my first gasser, just starting the thing made me nervous at first, but then i figured out a starting procedure and I do it the same every time after a while this eliminates that "what's it gonna do" feeling and now I'd rather start a gasser than any glow motor. Like the other post in this thread, I don't really like it when someone comes up and tries to suggest a new way while I'm in the middle of the way of starting my engine for the 400th time. Let me do it the way that always works. The first flight was a little nervous, but I trimmed her out, flew around for a few minutes to let the shakes calm down, and then decided I would do an approach but no land. Well that approach just felt too perfect, to easy, much easier than any of my smaller planes, so I just went ahead and greased her in. Bigger is better, like everyone says, after that first landing I wasn't really worried about the fundamentals but it took me a LONG time to trust that engine. The Gasser just sounds different, I wasn't used to it, and it took probably a couple months before I would trust it down low. So today all my glow stuff is gone, sold, I don't do glow, I HATE the cleanup, and the fiddling, seems every week I'm at the field guys are messing with their glow stuff, dead sticks, bad fuel, fowling plugs, dude with gas that's a thing of the past!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:24 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm maidening a little bitty electric today and I'm nervous now!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40567.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	639133  
Old 03-10-2007, 06:00 PM
LearnedInUk
My Feedback: (29)

Today was the first time I flew my first gas plane. Suprisingly I was not nervous in the least. I recall getting it off the ground then a little bit later it hit me that I did not have the usual shakes and sweaty palms.

Weird huh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.