Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dietrich Extra 260 50cc

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:51 PM
jetero1960
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dietrich Extra 260 50cc

I am looking to replace my current 50 cc airframe and found Dietrich Aircraft has a extra 260. I have never heard of them. The plane has a very nice covering scheme and looks nice on the website. It appears to be like the aeroworks 260. Does anyone know anything about Dietrich and this new airframe?
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93537.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	639634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13899.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	639635  
Old 03-12-2007, 06:08 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Dietrich Extra 260 50cc

Kevin Dietrich was part owner of Aeroworks before going out on his own. This will be a high-quality plane. I like the use of black in the color scheme, it makes the other colors pop out and gives it a somewhat "sinister" look.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

Some flying buddies of mine have flown and seen the 42% in action. They were very pleased with it and said that the quality was very good.
With that being said, they liked it so much that one of them pre-ordered both the 42% and the 50cc. The other ordered the 42%.
These guys are the best flyers at my field and I have a lot of respect for both of them knowledge wise and skill wise. If they liked them that well then there is no doubt that the Dietrich aircraft linbe up will be very good.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Absolut Yak

I want the 50cc with the black. WOW!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Flyer Freq

The 50CC with the black tail jumped out at me, as well. The other thing that hit me, is that a lot of the features of these planes are things you have to buy separately with other manufacturers. Example: Completed cockpit, including instrument panel, Robart hinges, heavy duty ball bearing type servo arm's, etc, etc. You add these items to the cost of many other planes, and you are into a much more expensive plane, beside the fact that many of these things are already installed; which means a shorter time from the UPS truck to the flying field. The only thing that I can see that they could do to make this the perfect ARF is include a carbon fiber wing tube, landing gear, and tail wheel. For the price, I think the aluminum gear is a very fair setup! Now, if I can only get last years Cap X paid off, so I can get this Extra 260 for my Brison 3.2, with smoke muffler!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:02 PM
f15iceman

I have talked to Kevin recently and from what he said the 50cc Extra came in at 15 lbs 2 ounces. I think that is a pretty good weight for an airplane with an 87" wingspan. The kit is very complete similar to an Aeroworks quick build. I like the scheme much better than the Aeroworks kits though. I will be getting one of his 50cc Extras very soon. I may even do a build thread on it when I get it.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:26 AM
rcnutmd
My Feedback: (2)

i have not seen the planes but on the website and they look great but i have ordered the 42% 260 and kevin deitrich has been great to deal with!! john m
Old 04-01-2007, 11:13 PM
RickyD77

Just a simple question... one servo is it enough for the ruder? I have seen one servo in the pics for the ruder...
and if its enough wich one are the best

thanks and excuse my bad english...
Old 04-02-2007, 05:41 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Nice plane, real nice plane, but is 595 pricey for a 50cc,, I does it come with carbon fiber, hardware or what,,, just wondering
Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM
RickyD77

yes 595 but you got all this

High performance ARF/ FA = FAST ASSEMBLY
Ultra light weight High performance model
First ARF to feature foam sheeted bottom, No stringers.
Pre hinged wings and stabs with Robart hinges. No gluing required
Pre hinged Fin and Rudder.
Pre mounted landing gear
Pre mounted wheel pants
Pre mounted main gear cuffs
Pre mounted cowl with cowl ring. No exterior screws exposed.
Anodized T-6061 aluminum tubes
Pre installed dash panel
Canopy is pre mounted and painted. Pre painted cock pit
Removable wings and stabs
1 ¼†ball bearing servo arms
Ball bearing control horns
Pre installed and covered engine box for detailed engine compartment
Detailed and painted brake covers for wheel pants
Complete hardware included
Fuselage is set up for pipe installation
Two stage polyurethane coatings on all fiberglass parts
Pre drilled control horns
Control horns included
Laser cut engine mounting templates
Interlocking firewall and landing gear plate for improved strength

still waiting expert about the one servo ruder

thx
Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 PM
catman3070
My Feedback: (10)

One servo on the rudder is more than enough. (if servo is of currect torque) My 35% has 2 servos, and my 40% has 3. I have seen builds of 50% with a single Tonegawa servo.

I sold my 50 cc airframe and just ordered one of these to replace it tonight. Can't wait for it to get here.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:21 PM
RickyD77

thx for your answer its my first giant...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

You'll be fine with a single servo on the rudder, use a Hitec 5955TG, and there's nothing it won't do. I use a single 5955TG on the rudder of my 35% Edge, and it'll knife Edge loop with no problem.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Sounds good, the covering job is awesome,,,
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Yeah it is, that is one of the best looking planes I've seen, and best of all, it's pretty unique. Most planes look like every other plane, that one is just plain sweet. I'm hoping to see one at Toledo.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:15 PM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

Lost my cap-x last tuesday. As soon as I pay mine off I'm getting one of these. I talked with a pro who was flying the 42%, he said it took him 6hrs to complete it. He had a 50cc as well, looks incredable. Talk about a Quick Build! It includes a plywood mounting template for DA and 3W. Cant wait to have a plane that all I do is mount the motor, drop some servos, in and fly.

If anyone has a flight report I would love to hear it.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 PM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

The Dietrich Extra 260 is every bit of what it claims to be,yes it does cost more but this is a time that you get what you pay for.The hardware is top quality throughout. Here is our current set up:
DA 50 with Slimline wrap around Pitts muffler
Hitec 5955 on rudder
Hitec 5985 on elevators
Hitec 5645 on ailerons
EDR 111r Power Bus
EDR Fiber Optic Kill
1 2400 4.8v for rx
1 2800 6.0v for servo's
1 2800 6.0v for ign.
1/2 inch stand off's
Biela 22x8 prop
True turn spinner
All up weight ready to fly is 16lbs.
this is a great flying little plane that fly's like a larger plane .
Donnie
Old 04-23-2007, 08:26 PM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

I recently received the white version. Bought it at Toledo and got it a week later. They are out of the black version but to be honest I am one of the few that likes the white better. They had both at the show. I think it will be easier to see what the white one is doing in the air. This is the nicest ARF I have seen. Very complete including a matching spinner. Lots of little extras. Installed tubes for the pull/pull cables, tube for the antenna installed, and a fiberglass tube in the bottom of the fuse for the elevator servo wiring. Just some of the things you dont notice at first. Oh yeah a clear plastic cowl to use to trim the fiberglass version. Build quality looks good as well.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:34 PM
NuttyPro

I got mine ready to fly at 17lbs.
setup:
1" carbon wingtube from Troybuilt.
1 - 4cells li-on
1 - 2 cells lion on ign
MTW 75 canister on DA50

I'm interested to see what is the ready to fly weight with other plane. I don't know how the prototype can be 15.5lbs.
Airplane still fly good at 17lbs.
Good quality and good customer service.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:27 PM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

Mine came in at 16lbs. 4 ounces. Thats with all the stock hardware and the stock DA50 muffler.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 AM
NuttyPro

Did anyone have to trim off the elevators inner sides to clear the rudder pull-pull cables. I have my elev at -40 degrees throw and it is already rubbing the cables. If I want more throw I need to trim off the elevators.
My rudder seems to be a little bit weak. It doesn't have enough authority to do a knife-edge loop. I think I need to move my CG back some more. Does anyone know what is the max extreme CG on this airplane.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Hi,
Been building on this one for a while, thought I'd throw it out there. DA50, 5955's all flying surfaces, 5625 (I think it is) on the throttle, only because had it laying around.. Smart-Fly ingition regulator, Fromeco batteries, Fromeco badger switches, Fromeco regulator, Spektrum 7000 rec., SWB arms on the outside, graphtechrc carbon wing tube and gear, Sullivan skylight tires, various wire keeps and such from DHS, PowerPoles hooking it all together. Graphics from B&E on the way. Came out a bit heavier than expected, its sitting at 17.5 dry. Can probably shed some by changing tires, go to carbon stab tube, (which is a hard to find size apparently), maybe different battery setup and so forth, but all that told it isn't going to take off a pound, it is what it is. I think it'll fly just fine. Few things left to do, a change on the throttle linkage, change springs on tail wheel, bind the receiver, which will be interesting because centered everything with an Eclipse, moved to Spektrum while mid-stream. Hopefully won't be too far out of whack. Was starting off with a Zoar 22x10, but going to start instead with a 23x8. Help slow things down a bit and won't impact engine break-in. Also had to have a spacer cnc'd to fit the front of the engine. When cowl was in place, prop rubbed against upper 'lip' of cowl. Get it balanced and so forth.. so.. in another couple weeks should have her in the air.

Personally, I thought was a challenging build. But will also state this is my first gasser. In fact, my first any-kind-of-fuel plane. Been in electrics up to this point. Its the old once you get to a certain size electric doesn't scale anymore thing. I'm not sure this is a good first plane, I believe an experienced gas builder would not have much problem with it. I'm not sure just what would be a good first build in a sport plane for that matter. There are so many options, opinions and ways of doing things it can be absolutely maddening getting a good solid working combination without breaking your wallet, your mind or flying weight. Things with this particular plane that gave me problems;

Drill the hole for the rudder bolt before mounting it, contrary to instructions. This will ensure you get a straight hole. Drilled mine while mounted, as instructed, and got the angle wrong, slight downward dip. Should have drilled it on bench before mounting. Had to cut dowel out and rebuild with another and start over. Not an easy task when the rudder is epoxied to the plane.

DA50 mounts very very close to back of firewall, requiring some creative thought and prior planning in regard to linkage, choke and fuel line.
This also contributes to prop rubbing against cowl.

Large or awkward use of lightening holes also requires some creative thought and planning when you go to dropping in electronics and such, i.e. the Fromeco 5200 battery pack is not assembled side-by-side as Sanyo, etc.. but more of a 'pack'.. thought it difficult finding a good mounting spot for it.

Spot for putting throttle servo up closer to engine would be nice, instead of using the lightening hole half-way back of the plane. Makes for awkward geometry unless you want to use wire/cable as shown in manual. Which by the way is in .pdf, so you have to be able to print it out.

Servo's sunk too far into wells on ailerons. Found this out installing linkage. Had to remove servo and add another tray to each end in the well to get right height. On doing that I discovered two of the rubber mounts had become stuck in the well, from CA that had not fully dried. Had to literally chisel it out, rebuild that whole section around mount and re-cover. Aaarrgggg...

These are a few of the things I found aggravating, which an experienced gas builder would have noticed before became a problem.

On the plus side, the plane seems to be a solid build. The hardware is good and is used in a few places. The color scheme is nice. It can be transported in the back of a pickup. I'm excited that its almost done. I've received some good advice from folks here, from Flying Giants and from the local field. Also proud of the fact that every nut, bolt and wire is all turned by my own hand. The true test is in the flying. Been working myself up with a small Katana and next week will have an Eratix built, helps me build response, coordination and response timing. Have a fellow picked to do the initial flights and trim. Looking forward to giving it a shot. Will post additional as becomes available.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14014.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	757088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51819.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	757089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42986.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	757090  
Old 09-10-2007, 06:17 PM
balsafire

Howdy all.
My wife gave me the green light on a new project a couple of weeks ago and when I saw the red, black, yellow and white version I was hooked. They were out of stock so I had to have one drop shipped from the manufacturer. I spoke with Fedex today and it is here in 'Vegas but did not make the truck but I'll have it here tommorow a.m.. This will be my first REAL endeavour with a true 50 c.c. plane. I've had several 76-80" span planes, one was a H9 27% Extra 260 with a BME 44, my only gasser which I sold WAY to soon but all the others had large glow engines so I'm really pumped to be getting this one.

My planned set up is as follows:
Engine...DL50 c.c. gasser
Prop...Xoar 23x8
Aeilerons and elevator servos...Hitec 5955tg
Rudder servo...Hitec 5995tg
Throttle...Spektrum 831
Reciever...Spektrum
Reciever battery...Fromeco 6v, 4800 mah Lion
Ign battery...Fromeco 6v, 2400 mah Lion
Fromeco regulator on both ign. and reciever battery

I was on the phone with Brad from badbradgraphics and we've come up with a COOL custom package for this plane. Brad does awesome work at a very reasonable price. I plan on posting a lot of pics during construction so you all can check them out when I get them.

One question I have for those of you who are already flying this plane is are the stock servo arms of good quality or would I be wise to invest in SWB aluminum arms? I'm not one to spend money on frills but I do want this plane to be top notch as it is by far going to be my most expensive project yet. I've been plagued with 3 total destruction crashes in the last 6 weeks and all were some fault of mine in one way or another and I am determined to make no mistakes on this bird, on the bench or in the air. My wife might not be so giving(in any way) If this one goes in too soon. It's been over 2 years since I totaled a plane until this recent stuff. Funny how that's when they start to pay attention to our hobby isn't it.

Any feed back or suggestions anyone has on this "assembly" would be appreciated. I'll post again when the Fedex guy knocks.

Happy flyin' all,
Rod

Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 PM
dlurvey

Personally, I thought most of the included hardware left much to be desired. All of the plastic pieces had the "The World Models" logo on them. Humm... . I suspect that is the company that manufactored this arf. But, to answer your question, I used all SWB servo arms as I didn't like what was provided.
Although, I was disappointed with the quality of this arf compared to others I've done in the same price range, but it's light and flys really well. Beef up the landing gear plate with epoxy as it will break out easily and watch the glue joints as they tend to break around the forward formers.

Dan
Old 09-10-2007, 07:45 PM
balsafire

Thanks for the info Dan. That's a bummer on the hardware. I have had a lot of World Models ARFs and they were great for the money but I never have liked their hardware, especially the control horns. When you talk about the quality for the price, how would you compare it to say a H9 or a Great Planes ARF of roughly the same size? That's pretty much the caliber of plane I've been doing lately and just graduated to the larger stuff (50c.c. range) last year. Before that it was the .90-1.20 glow stuff, Big difference in everything, including$$$[X(]. I was really looking forward to a top notch plane without a lot of building fuss but now I'm a tick worried. With all that I have planned for this bird I'll probably come out between $2300.00-$2500.00 invested. It would be a major dissapointment if it was only slightly better than what I have been used to.

Anyway, Thanks for the insight and rest assured I will do what's right to make it more right.

Happy flyin' all,
Rod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.