Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Converting a P120

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Converting a P120

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Converting a P120

I just lost my jet and p120 in a crash with the xps 2.4 system. The turbine case is dented, the motor tore off of the front, the ecu is broke, solenoids also... Anyway, it's going to cost the $ of a new turbine thru jetcat. I was wondering if it's possible to get another ecu system thru an aftermarket manufacturer and convert the p 120. I know that modelbau will convert 750's etc with new ecu, solenoids etc for around $500. If I could get it converted for under $1000 that's way better than $3K!!!!

Any ideas????

Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Converting a P120

Hey Jon,

This is not an answer to your question, I know, but are you sure it going to cost that much to repair the P-120? From the video, it didn't look too bad. A new ECU and two solenoids are going to cost you $550 or so, but if the fuel pump is still OK, that's cheeper than going with a whole new setup (about $900 for everything on-board except the turbine). I would think that if everything but the front cover, starter housing, and the electronics inside the front cover (it looks like they might be smashed) is OK, the repair to the turbine might be less than $1000 - just guessing...

Have you talked with JetCat about the repair?

Bob
Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Yann

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an ECU from Garpar ESPIELL (from NADES). It will cost your around 200 Euros and they are the best ECUs around. They are used as standard with several burbine manufacturers.
http://www.espiell.com/
Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your loss, but remember that the electronics mounted under the engine cowling (Starter, RPM and Thermocouple) have to be able to communicate with the ECU. I doubt that JetCat would have designed their on-board electronic package to be compatible with any other brand ECU.
In order to switch ECU types, you would need to change the thermocouple, RPM sensor and starter to a compatible type.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 10-10-2007, 10:01 AM
jonkoppisch

Looking at it quick, starter motor, plastic inlet to the turbine, the fuel pump lost 1 of the nipples, the solenoids are trashed, the ecu is busted, the front cover of the turbine is dented and the plug for the electronics is twisted so I'll bet the onboard electronics are wasted. The out can has some good dents in it so.... The turbine does turn freely and all of the fins appear to be in good shape with no chips etc..

I figure threw jetcat I'm looking at a totally new install package, ie ecu, solenoids, pump, + turbine electronics and starter motor. About the only thing left that's probably alright is the internal turbine works itself...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:01 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Sorry to hear about your loss, but remember that the electronics mounted under the engine cowling (Starter, RPM and Thermocouple) have to be able to communicate with the ECU. I doubt that JetCat would have designed their on-board electronic package to be compatible with any other brand ECU.
In order to switch ECU types, you would need to change the thermocouple, RPM sensor and starter to a compatible type.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP

well for using the fadec you can rip out all the jetcats guts.
the fadec comes complete....
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 AM
jonkoppisch

If the fadec comes complete that may be a great option. I'd still have to come up with the plastic inlet to the turbine, starter motor and I assume a fuel pump???
Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 AM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

John, what happened with the xps? I am using one too. Bob
Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
jonkoppisch

ORIGINAL: B58

John, what happened with the xps? I am using one too. Bob

? All indications now are that the xps unit failed?? I can't find anything else that could account for the failure...

All of my xps stuff will be in 60 size or less aircraft for now on...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:13 AM
jonkoppisch

All of the NADES websites are down or 'not found'.... Are they still in business. The first link that you gave works, but if you click on the other links they are all down...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Yann

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they are still in business. Maybe you can contact Wren as they use and sell NADES products.
http://www.wrenturbines.co.uk/
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 AM
rhklenke

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Jon,

If you dig into it, the links actually go here:

http://www.xicoy.com/catalog/index.php

It looks to me that the prices for that stuff (ECU, solenoids, etc.) are equivalent to JetCat. I would give JetCat a call and see what they say. Also, if your engine is trashed, they will give you credit on it towards another engine...

Bob
Old 10-10-2007, 10:41 AM
jonkoppisch

Hmmm, I guess it doesn't matter. I can't afford to sink another $2G into a turbine right now...

It looks like jetjoe used nades as well
Old 10-10-2007, 12:38 PM
ChuckC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to be clear, these questions are serious and from a point of ignorance (I have no experience with jetcat):

Are Jetcat thermocouples different from everyone else's K-type, industry standard thermocouples? The reason I ask is that the industrial ones are basically a commodity now and I haven't personally seen replacement ones from the turbine manufacturers costing any more than you could get elsewhere.

What about the fuel pump design? I figured there really wasn't anything special there - the motor's throttled based upon rpm and temperature, so IN THEORY you should be able to use an aftermarket one like a Flightworks pump.

Selenoids, I think may be particular for voltage and normally off condition; thought I read that here.

How about the sensors under the hood? I'm guessing a hall effect sensor using a magnet built into the nose cone?

ECU's, I know are particularly "Universal" with the mechanics of the turbine, afterall that's what home-builders have been doing for years.

Given the above, I think that it would be economically feasible to convert the Jetcat can or any other turbine can, if you replaced all the electronics, except the starter motor and pump.

This has wide application to recycling some old, but still useful turbine mechanics hanging out there.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Chuck,
As a point of info, JetCat P-120 RPM sensors are optical....not Hall Effect.

Jon,
Why don't you call Bob Wilcox at JetCat USA for an estimate for the engine core repairs, and buy an installation kit from him? It includes all of the stuff you need for around $900.00
You could could probably be back in the air for around $1500.00 or so. That's lots cheaper than the price of a new or used engine.

In the end, should you eventually decide to sell it, it is worth allot more complete with all JetCat parts, instead of being "*******ized" with parts and pieces from all over. It would be easily serviceable too. Just my humble opinion.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP

Old 10-10-2007, 05:17 PM
jonkoppisch

$1500 is a little much for me right now.. It needs a starter motor, optical board (The board in the front housing) the front cover, starter motor support assembly and maybe the outer can as it has some pretty good dings also..

It is cheaper than buying a new one though...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Joe McBride
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

I just lost my jet and p120 in a crash with the xps 2.4 system. The turbine case is dented, the motor tore off of the front, the ecu is broke, solenoids also... Anyway, it's going to cost the $ of a new turbine thru jetcat. I was wondering if it's possible to get another ecu system thru an aftermarket manufacturer and convert the p 120.
Jon,

I'm sorry for your loss, but with what we expect of our jets and how unforgiving they are I'd hate to see you put a bandaid on the motor to save $500 only to have it cost you the next $5000 jet! My feelings are; fix it correctly now so that it doesn't cost you later.

Joe
Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 PM
jonkoppisch

You're right. I just don't have 2K to put into a turbine right now... I was hoping to make something out of nothing for a minimum but... I guess I'm just sunk till...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:42 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Where is the video of the crash please ? im curious to see what happend.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 PM
jonkoppisch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLf3SN__6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2HxRNgkjpQ
Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 PM
i3dm

Those are 2 small pics.. no vids ?[]
Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 PM
jonkoppisch

reload your browser and check the links again... the correct links are there now..
Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM
i3dm

I watched the vid several times, the plane seems to fly REALLY slow out of that strange snap, you sure it didnt just stall and snap on you ?

Either way its sad, i hope it never happens again !
Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM
jonkoppisch

it was moving along pretty good, not full throttle by any means.. The last few seconds I put into slow motion, 50% speed...
Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Looking at the video the enine doesn't look too bad, it is definitely repairable. Trying to make the P-120 work using another manufacturer's ECU would be some serious rework. I believe most all use a magnetic pickup on the front spinner nut to read RPM. The P-120 does not, so some good machining to make that happen will be in order. Also once that spinner nut is removed you will need to rebalance the motor as the compressor whel will turn and throw the motor out of balance. I persoannly would not recommend it.

All in all the motor will take around $700 in parts to bring back to life, plus some labor. An install kit will will be needed by the sounds of it. SOrry for the loss, but unfortunately when this happens it routinely takes some cash to bring it back to life. If you can't fix it today, why not hold on to it for a few months and fix it later. You still need to replace the plane as well. The flash is a great flying bird. Hope you can bring it back to life again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.