Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

TC5 vs. JRX-S type R

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
j5mann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC5 vs. JRX-S type R

Need a little help deciding between the TC5 and the JRX-S type R, so I'm calling on owners of both to help me out.

I've owned a lot of Losi's in my RC life, (I still have a the original Street Weapon in a box), and I've always like their engineering. I hear a lot of good thing about the TC5 as well. The biggest difference I see in the pictures is the fact that batteries/motor are in the center of the JRXS. Does that help or hurt the performance?

I'm hoping to hear the pros and cons of each from people who drive them every weekend.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Adamg-RCU

Default RE: TC5 vs. JRX-S type R

Both are fast. Both are good. TC5 might be a touch cheaper.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:19 AM
Jerm29

ORIGINAL: j5mann

Need a little help deciding between the TC5 and the JRX-S type R, so I'm calling on owners of both to help me out.

I've owned a lot of Losi's in my RC life, (I still have a the original Street Weapon in a box), and I've always like their engineering. I hear a lot of good thing about the TC5 as well. The biggest difference I see in the pictures is the fact that batteries/motor are in the center of the JRXS. Does that help or hurt the performance?

I'm hoping to hear the pros and cons of each from people who drive them every weekend.

Thanks in advance!
The TC5 is a better deal and from what I know is that it is a better handling car.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 AM
cheech4

wrong, its not a better handling car, the jrxs-r handles just as good as the tc5, its just a little harder to set up for different types of tracks. the tc5 is more neutral between tracks like the cyclones and Xrays.. but if you get the set up right with the losi you will be just as good.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Jerm29

ORIGINAL: j5mann

Thanks in advance!
The TC5 is a better deal and from what I know is that it is a better handling car.
Can't say much about it, but will be the next car I'll buy. Need a good touring car.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:20 AM
cheech4

[/quote]
Can't say much about it, but will be the next car I'll buy. Need a good touring car.
[/quote]

Xray T2 family, T2, 007, 008, best there is period.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 AM
ElectricGuy007

Have you seen the prices of those???[:'(]
The TC5 is bullet-proof due to having the same material the B44 has and RC8 has.
I'm getting it 4-sure reguardless of what you guys say.
A belt-drive is the way to go in on-road!!![8D]
Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 AM
cheech4

yes i have seen the prices of them, i have 2 of them... and you can tell that there made better. put a xray next to a tc5, its like putting a ferrari next to a vette. both great cars but the ferrari is built better and is of better quality.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:25 PM
associatedrules

I like my TC5 but I have never driven the Losi. One advantage the TC5 has is more space to mount electronics. From pictures of the Losi I have seen you need very small electronics, and even with them they still hang off of the chassis quite a bit.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:31 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: cheech4

yes i have seen the prices of them, i have 2 of them... and you can tell that there made better. put a xray next to a tc5, its like putting a ferrari next to a vette. both great cars but the ferrari is built better and is of better quality.
I know it's nice but 690.00 is a bit much for the top quality X-Ray.
I dont need something that expensive, unless I was racing all over the planet!!
Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: bmaglinger

I know it's nice but 690.00 is a bit much for the top quality X-Ray.
I dont need something that expensive, unless I was racing all over the planet!!

where do you see it priced for 690$ i see it for 429.99. i know thats not cheap but its still a long ways from 690, lol
Old 12-17-2007, 12:41 PM
associatedrules

There is also the fact that you can walk into almost any hobby shop and get parts for the TC-5. I have never been beat by anyone driving and Xray. If you do go the expensive route go with the Corally RDX PHI. It beats the Xrays hands down.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 PM
cheech4

funny, thats why Xray has more wins probably then any other manufacturer. the corally is also a great touring car, probably at par with xrays quality, but imo drive a corally then drive a xray you will have more wins with the xray.

as far as parts availability for xrays, that all depends where you go, here in NY there are alot of shops that carry xray parts. also there many many sites you can buy from also.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:21 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: associatedrules

There is also the fact that you can walk into almost any hobby shop and get parts for the TC-5. I have never been beat by anyone driving and Xray. If you do go the expensive route go with the Corally RDX PHI. It beats the Xrays hands down.
Associated parts are common in my hometown. So the TC5 it is.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:52 PM
schmacher

also a luxury touring car like the xray shouldn't come with plastic shocks for what they charge for it
Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: schmacher

also a luxury touring car like the xray shouldn't come with plastic shocks for what they charge for it

you can ask anyone in the rc world xray shocks are one of the best build and smoothest shocks made. if you go and read why they went that route you would understand it has to deal with weight savings and performance. and they do have alloy shocks available for those who feel the need for that neccassary bling, but in performance there both the same.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:24 PM
MonkeyFist

ORIGINAL: schmacher

you can ask anyone in the rc world xray shocks are one of the best build and smoothest shocks made. if you go and read why they went that route you would understand it has to deal with weight savings and performance. and they do have alloy shocks available for those who feel the need for that neccassary bling, but in performance there both the same.
Cheech couldn't be more right if he tried. Aluminum shocks are totally a bling factor, not a performance thing. Plastic shock bodies are longer lasting, cheaper, and easier to tune. I fell victim to the aluminum shock bling factor, and I can say this never again. I shelled out good hard earned $ for one set of shocks, for the money I could have had 2 sets of plastic XRay shocks.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:38 PM
associatedrules

funny, thats why Xray has more wins probably then any other manufacturer. the corally is also a great touring car, probably at par with xrays quality, but imo drive a corally then drive a xray you will have more wins with the xray.

as far as parts availability for xrays, that all depends where you go, here in NY there are alot of shops that carry xray parts. also there many many sites you can buy from also.
Sorry, maybe I got carried away there. Now that I think about it, my local track hardly has anyone driving Xray's everyone has either Corally PHI's or Schumacher MI3's I made my judgment of the Xray by the fact that I do not see them at my track. That was a obviously a bad judgment. I am one of a very few that run the TC5. I had the choice of the PHI the MI3 or the Xray, I chose the TC5 for a couple of reasons. One is parts availabilty and two it was cheaper and has just as many tuning option. The TC5 is also very easy to work on.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
cheech4

i cannot take any praise away from the Tc5, it is a great car. and i would have bought one, but i just had to a too sweet of a deal on the xray.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:05 AM
ElectricGuy007

Kinda sux, due to not including aluminum shocks for that price, did you get yours off the bay?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:14 AM
The Hedgehog

Kinda sux, due to not including aluminum shocks for that price, did you get yours off the bay?
Why are you so keen on aluminum shocks? They weigh more and in these cases you want to save as much weight as possible.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 PM
cheech4

no actually, my first xray was off craigs list, it was a T2 a little scratched up in the bottom of the chassis but it came with a extra chassis and top plate also came built with spools and an extra multi diff and a few hudy blalancing tools and tires, got it for 125$. the second the T2R was someone here at RCU selling it.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:21 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Why are you so keen on aluminum shocks? They weigh more and in these cases you want to save as much weight as possible.
my bad...wasn't thinking sorry...[&o]
Old 12-22-2007, 03:22 AM
associatedrules

I can say one advantage to aluminum THREADED BODY shocks, they do last longer if you tune your car alot. I remember my HPI pro3 had alot of problems with it's threaded body plastic shocks. Just a tiny grain of sand or dirt caused them to just totally be a pain to adjust followed by a shock body that I would have to replace because of damaged threads. Aluminum shocks are a must for me on all of my cars if they are threaded body ever since then. Now that is just my opinion and everyone knows what opinions are...
Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Suprachrgd82

ORIGINAL: associatedrules

There is also the fact that you can walk into almost any hobby shop and get parts for the TC-5.
This is by far the best advice when making a choice in RC's. There is no substitute for parts availability. You will break parts, and waiting several days or weeks for delivery will take the fun out of the RC experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.