Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Justifying a higher end transmitter?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Justifying a higher end transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:54 AM
cnbsdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Justifying a higher end transmitter?

I'm just getting into the hobby of R/C nitro. Just picked up a Traxxas Jato 3.3. I know, it's very, very fast for a beginner.. but oh well, what can I say. I guess the looks and advertised speed is what attracted me. I live out in the county, so light poles and curves are limited.

Now that I have the itch, I’m sure I’ll be purchasing one to two more cars. As I’ve been doing my research, I see that most cars (RTR) come with a transmitter. I was thinking of jumping up a notch to the Futaba 2.4. I don’t want to be making Energizer rich with the disposables. I won’t be participating in any races, just recreational. So am I better off just sticking with the included transmitters?

I own a Futaba 2.4 for my planes and simply love it. Most planes don’t come with a transmitter so it was justified. And it’s nice to get to the field and just fly, rather than ask around to see who’s using the same frequency.

Your advice and/or suggestions would definitely be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Justifying a higher end transmitter?

i think its worth the upgrade if you can spend the money on it. to me its more important to start with your servo's though. the jato's stock may be ok though since the front end is light.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 AM
XJRichB

How I justified switching to a higher radio from the ones that came with the R2R models was the model memory. Its great having 1 controller to use for all my vehicles. And if you run with other people, your never going to have to worry about being on the same frequency with them if you go 2.4. 3 years ago I switched to a JR XS3 pro. Not 2.4 but it's synthesized. It has 10 model memory, and I use all 10..it's an addicting hobby
Old 01-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Paradoxmaker

Anything that gets you away from the cheap, crappy RTR Am radios is worth it IMO. Upgrading to even a low end spektrum is a wonderful thing if nothing else because of never having to worry about turning on the TX and seeing someone else's RC go tearing off out of control because you didn't check the freq board.

I don't think you need a bells and whistles $300+ one, unless you love playing with tons or controls that probably 75% of the people don't ever use anyway...
Old 01-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Nick2618

well what ever you do make sure you run a fail safe in your jato. I have a jato and i know sometime u can get a little carried away in some speed runs. YOu dont want to lose signal and then it just haul ass 3 miles down the road. LOL. I just bought a spektrum dx 3.0 becuase it was cheapest 2.4ghz model and now i dont have to worry about any interferance from anyhting. YOu can get the dx3.0 in the low 200's on ebay shipped with 2 recivers and 2 servos.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Paradoxmaker

ORIGINAL: nick2618

well what ever you do make sure you run a fail safe in your jato. I have a jato and i know sometime u can get a little carried away in some speed runs. YOu dont want to lose signal and then it just haul ass 3 miles down the road. LOL. I just bought a spektrum dx 3.0 becuase it was cheapest 2.4ghz model and now i dont have to worry about any interferance from anyhting. YOu can get the dx3.0 in the low 200's on ebay shipped with 2 recivers and 2 servos.
Well with a Spektrum you don't need an extra failsafe since it's got one built in. Adding an external one can casue problems...
Old 01-05-2008, 09:06 PM
chrobar

The futaba 3PM also has a built in failsafe. I would go for the futaba 2.4ghz. If you ever want to upgrade to digital servos, you can use the HRS mode, and have even faster response time....
Old 01-06-2008, 05:42 AM
bug850-4300

ORIGINAL: nick2618
YOu dont want to lose signal and then it just haul ass 3 miles down the road.
Or worse, have it crash into something thats not gonna break.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 PM
NitroVette

The features and adjustments of a nice radio alone will elevate your car's performance. Things like EPA, EXP,dual rate, steering speed, digital trim, and ABS really allow you to extract the most performance out of a vehicle.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
mx757

cnbs, If you are looking for a well priced 2.4 radio check out the Airtronics MX-3 FHSS system. I picked one up new in box for $150 plus $10 for shipping on ebay.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:29 AM
dacaur

Yep a nice computer radio can make you a better, smoother driver... modle memory is nice... plus a high end radio just feels so much nicer in your hand.... I love me fuaba 3PM 2.4 radio...
Old 05-18-2008, 09:44 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Since you already have experience with Futabas, you know the quality of these radios and the great customer support of the distributor of these radios. So, of course, going Futaba, also for your Jato, will not be a disappointing move at all.

Now, there is nothing wrong with the TRX radio, it's just that it is of way poorer quality than the Futabas (or other quality radios). These Traxxas radios are hit or miss; they can outlast your Jato or they can be lemons (this is true for ALL other RTR radios, not just the Traxxas ones). So, to save yourself alot of potential heartaches, going with a better radio is a good move. Additionally, you will get all the higher end features of Futaba that the TRX radio simply does not have (exponential curves, dual rate steeing, and other race grade features that can mean precious fractions of seconds from lap times).
Old 05-18-2008, 10:46 PM
systemlord

What everyone else said, I like the price to performance ratio the Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz offers. I went a step further and got the 3PKS 2.4 GHz system and I love it, just like my 9CHP helicoptor radio.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:09 PM
4-Tec™Impreza

I just picked up a Futaba 3PKS Super Synth 75mhz Tx/Rx... I thought you could only run non-digital servos with am/fm tx's, but from what I'm reading here I could have bought the 3PKS 2.4GHz FASST instead. Doh. Stupid Tower hobbies descriptions.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:22 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: 4-Tec�Impreza

I just picked up a Futaba 3PKS Super Synth 75mhz Tx/Rx... I thought you could only run non-digital servos with am/fm tx's, but from what I'm reading here I could have bought the 3PKS 2.4GHz FASST instead. Doh. Stupid Tower hobbies descriptions.
Later if you want remove your Synth 75mhz module and put in the 2.4GHz module, that all the 3PKS is is a 3PK with 2.4GHz modules installed. Yours for 3 Easy Pay payments of $63.33 = $189.99, but then you could just buy another 3PM 2.4GHz radio.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Silviadrift

i got a 2.4 gig Acoms Technisport D555 for 90 pounds form my local hobby shop , Comes with 2 servo's and a reciver . This being my first 2.4gig system im very impressed with it , fully recomend.

Silv
Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: systemlord

ORIGINAL: 4-Tec�Impreza

Later if you want remove your Synth 75mhz module and put in the 2.4GHz module, that all the 3PKS is is a 3PK with 2.4GHz modules installed. Yours for 3 Easy Pay payments of $63.33 = $189.99, but then you could just buy another 3PM 2.4GHz radio.
3PKS is sweet. Just buy a new module and Rx for it. PM me, I have a FASST module with 2 Rx I don't need.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Now, there is nothing wrong with the TRX radio, it's just that it is of way poorer quality than the Futabas (or other quality radios). These Traxxas radios are hit or miss; they can outlast your Jato or they can be lemons (this is true for ALL other RTR radios, not just the Traxxas ones)
Never say ALL RTR radios are bad....Losi can hear you.....

I mean you can get a 2.4ghz radio(the ones that dont have many features) ,XR2i, XS3, DX2.0, and DX3S with their RTRs.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 PM
SAVAGEJIM

YEah, and I think it's awesome that Losi has taken the leap to include 2.4GHz radios in their rTRs. Of course, they are more expensive now, but at least you dont have to worry about crystals...ever!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:46 AM
NitroVette

I place a high value on the quality and features of a radio, it can make or break a model's performance. I've been into RC for over 20 years and have always bought the best radio Futaba had to offer, my first high end radio was a Futaba 3PB. It was Futaba's first PCM three channel radio circa 1990 and cost $350 which was a huge amount of money back then. My next radio was a 3PJS, also $350 but this time $350 got you features like ABS, assignable dials and knobs, digital trims and display, model memory, etc. It served me well until last year when I passed it down to my son. Now you can get an incredible radio for $300-$350, the 3PKS is packed with technology and features for the same price as 20 years ago. I've had dozens of cars come and go and these radios have never let me down, I still use the 3PB in an old buggy and it still works perfectly. The 3PKS is the best investment in RC that I've made in a long time.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you feel like you want one, get it, enjoy it, don't look back.

Go 2.4GHz also. No reason really to regress back to older technology and potential hastles with frequencies and interference, that is, if you are not really tied down hard to a budget.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops, just realized this was an old post!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm also looking at a radio system. I think I'm going to pick up the 3PM by Futaba. The 3PKS looks good to. Does any one know the differance in FASST modulation between the two?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no difference between the two FHSS systems (barring HRS mode on the 3PK series), it's the features it lacks which cause the 3pm to be a lower price. It's an excellent radio though, make no mistake. It's the perfect middle ground, a great upgrade from an RTR system, and a good start to understanding radio setup. When you have gone as far as you can with it, you'll be ready for something with more features, like a 3PKS. I know many who are racing with 3PMs very successfully (A-main competitors) and don't feel a need for radios like the 3PKS. Amongst others, I run an old 3PK with a spektrum pro module, and I love it to bits, it's old faithful.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:38 PM
dacaur

the 3PM has HRS mode too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.