Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

New Clod build *UPDATE (Deathproof look?!)*

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

New Clod build *UPDATE (Deathproof look?!)*

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 PM
chaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clod build *UPDATE (Deathproof look?!)*

Im considering a droop setup. I have one in my other Blazer and love it. I think the height is good as well as the wheel well alignments. Changed the front links. The driveshaft angles are better but the tranny plate gets in the way. I wll need to modify it once I have whatever tranny i end up using. Chassis is a BB-51, axles TLT. Considering an Axial tranny.

BODY PAINTED
Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 AM
SaVaGe MaN SS

Default RE: New Clod build

man thas going to be a sweet build
Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM
MTboy

What is a droop set up and what kind of crawler is that. It looks sweet. Sorry I'm new to crawling and still tring to figure out what kind I'm going to get. Is that a kit and where can I find it? Thanks for any and all info...
Old 02-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Anomie

That is a really cool truck! It looks like the beginning of another 'chaman-scale' masterpiece!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:32 PM
chaman

A droop setup is basically running shocks without springs. This lets the suspension to fully compress with the weight of the rig keeping the axles always in contact to the ground at all times. My other rig has this setup and I love it!

Hated by some....love by a lot of people including the editor of RC Car Action which copied my Emaxx arm/tire holder idea. Check this link...[link]http://209.196.57.91/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=E29CAE68A6D4457BA0FB171BEC7D56D2&nm =Site+Features&type=Blog&mod=Blogger+Home&mid=67D6 564029914AD3B204AD35D8F5F780&tier=4&Date=12%2F28%2 F2007&Blogger=B2EE08DBD5474CFB8B609886F437F293[/link]

It has become my favorite setup for these rigs. This is no kit. It is the result of slowly gathering all the components from various sources. I still need to tweak the axles for a more friendly angle towards the center mounted tranny. I tried the full hardcore crawler rig for sometime but my heart is at the closer to scale vehicles. Some crawlers just look more like a NASA gadget than a real vehicle.

Reiko: Thanks for the sweet words of encouragement man!!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:25 PM
chaman

A little update: I went with stock TLT shocks still with a droop setup. Pinion angles were corrected as well as wheel well lineup. Im still debating on which tranny but whatever I end up using it seems the tranny plate will need some modification for the driveshafts. Any input appreciated.

Also Im liking the slight leaning at the back. It adds some cool sense of scaleness to the rig.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 PM
jay863fl

Nice, I like the scale crawlers. How do those type of vehicles compare to a purpose built crawler ?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:09 PM
dezfan

Axial tranny should work fine, looks like a good start.

KISS!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Piranha2

deleted by Piranha2
Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 PM
chaman

Thanks Piranha...Im currently waiting for my Axial tranny and Pede driveshafts. Once I get the thing working will move to detailing the body. Im considering doing the interior also but still undecided.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:50 PM
ezbme2003

ORIGINAL: chaman

A little update: I went with stock TLT shocks still with a droop setup. Pinion angles were corrected as well as wheel well lineup. Im still debating on which tranny but whatever I end up using it seems the tranny plate will need some modification for the driveshafts. Any input appreciated.

Also Im liking the slight leaning at the back. It adds some cool sense of scaleness to the rig.
WOW! Nice Build so far! Couple questions... What wheel & tire combo are you using & are they mounted to Clod axles? I am new to rc & learning... I have a Clodzilla III I picked up & just got it running, but really want a scale looking rig! Any help or links appreciated!!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
chaman

Wheels are 1.9 Mags by CreateACrawler (CAC) with RC4WD Rock Stompers tires. Axles are locked TLT ones. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 PM
chaman

Update: Rear links were modified to make the wheel arches lineup better and improve pinion angle. Axial tranny arrived and will be installed soon. The stampede links needed minor modifications but in the end the fit is very good. Started work in the interior too with dash in place. Planning on full lightning detailing on it. Two Recaro seats in black already on their way. Stance seen in photos will very well be final. Styrene was ordered to build something nice for the bed (will be a garage/working truck theme). Some pics:

Old 03-21-2008, 03:22 PM
chaman

Default RE: New Clod build *UPDATE-INTERIOR*

I finished most of my interior with Recaro seats in place. Also finished attaching body to chassis without clips. I started working on the tool/equipment box for the bed.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:59 PM
chaman

BTW Im thinking on adding some dash lightning.....
Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 PM
chaman

Im currently in the process of getting the tranny to fit over the interior pieces. So far I think I will succeed but the thing is fighting me! LOL! The tranny will be encased in the center console and the spur will run freely behind both seats. I hope the motor dont give trouble...of course it will!!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:47 PM
dezfan

Diggin the interior and the bed mounted tool boxes.

The visor isn't doing anything for me though.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Snaut Rocket

Hey I got a question, im sure you didnt make that interior but if you did () any way were did you get the cool realistic interior.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:21 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm with Dez. That visor isn't gettin it for me. But great work so far.. Love the wheels
Old 03-21-2008, 11:29 PM
chaman

Snaut, the interior is basically pieces of a New Bright toy coupled weith Recaro cell phone holders. I didnt fabricate the pieces, of course, I just make them fit there as best as possible with my old good buddy the Dremel. So in a way, I did it!

The visor is scale correct and was a popular accessory for the years the pickup (1:1) was new. The theme is basically a well worn but taken care of garage/work/trail truck. Some guy commented he liked the JC Whitney visor...thats exactly what Im after, an 80's vibe kind of thing. All in all, the visor is definitely staying, with complete lightning and nice weathering, it will look even better. Thanks for looking guys!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:05 AM
MGTBFT

Hey chaman, did you ever think of cutting out the inside of the bed and lowering it down to make it deeper like the real thing? I don't know just a thought I had while looking at the photos. Not sure how hard it would be though.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you make the visor fit a lil tighter, so it doesn't look so toy like..
Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 AM
RCC666

IMO you should ditch that dash as it takes away from the look of the truck, looks like Land Rover interior......

And a little triangulation in the links would not hurt a thing.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:36 AM
chaman

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

Can you make the visor fit a lil tighter, so it doesn't look so toy like..
The visor is just sitting there without being fit at all. It can be made to be fitted better and will be, possibly painted another color.

The interior dash is quite possiby from a Rover but after the Redneck owner lost the original dash in a electric fire he scored that one in the black market, just dont tell anyone.

Bed dropping was consider but so far the idea is in the back burner. Im currently waiting on some styrene material to build something like this:

Old 03-22-2008, 03:18 PM
RCC666

Your kidding right? A wooden ladder rack? Rover dash? Recaro seats? I would rethink this whole build, it's going-South......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.