Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Any jet crash with Futaba FASST system ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Any jet crash with Futaba FASST system ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:15 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Any jet crash with Futaba FASST system ?

Has anyone heard about someone crashing a jet with a Futaba FASST system ?
Please post only crashes related to the radio system ( lockout or component failure ).

Thank you.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:18 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Any jet crash with Futaba FASST system ?

Oliver,

I have 52 flights on my log. All with the FASST system. Not a single problem so far.
This said, my receivers are not under a wide open canopy. As long as you keep keep your RX out of the sun you'll be fine.

Arnaud
Old 06-15-2008, 02:26 PM
GrayUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have hundreds of flights now in 2 jets and 1 prop model using 12FG with FASST.
I also know many guys flying FASST in jets and prop models and have feedback from many more.
All report zero problems, great reliable system, stunning range, easy to install, just works
Have a look [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6188151/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]Here[/link] for more info and feedback.

Paul
Old 06-15-2008, 02:35 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Paul and Arnaud.
I have seen the long FASST post, of course.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Kobra

Till yet also around 50 flights with my 14MZ and Fasst

No Problems, no lockout or something else...

Great system, love it

And the response on the sticks unbelievable

René
Old 06-15-2008, 05:23 PM
DougV

Over 60 flights on two Black Jets, and hundreds of flights with 14 different aircrafts for 1.5 years now, No issues at all.

It gets really hot sometimes here in South Florida.

Regards,
Doug.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:19 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extremely solid performance in 5 planes.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:30 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No offense intended, but does anyone have an answer to the OP's question?

Does anyone know of a jet crash attributable to a FASST?

To expand on that, does anyone know of any crash with a jet with FAAST?
Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

I have had one crash wwith a spektrum 7 due to using 4.8v, This was before the problem was confirmed by JR, I then had over 50 flights with a JR10X 2.4 with no problems then I had many frame losses and jittery flaps and ailerons. We then changed to FASST on that plane and the jitters went away, no problems at all so far. MY friends are flying Fasst in many jets with no problems. Does this mean JR 2.4 is worrysome? not sure yet, I am sure there are many spektrum happy users out there. "FOR ME", I have had few binding problems with JR but Futaba (who I never liked their radios till now) has been zero problems for me and for the jet guys I know who are flying them.

I do hope that Futaba does address the temp issue instead of asking modelers to do the "keep it cool "fix. I am told the older 72 futaba and the spektrum 2.4 has no temp problem under the same conditions that Futaba has problems with, and "FOR ME" that is not acceptable [8D]....

Corrected for grammer[&:]
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

No offense intended, but does anyone have an answer to the OP's question?

Does anyone know of a jet crash attributable to a FAAST?

To expand on that, does anyone know of any crash with a jet with FAAST?
I've got a feeling, Matt, that this thread might possibly die if we wait for guys to post in re crashes with jets equipped with FAAST systems. While no radio system is immune to manufacturing errors and there are bound to be crashes because of these errors, the FAAST system has had a remarkably good record so far.

It is only natural to want to post one's results...good or bad. Futaba's FAAST radios are certainly making their users happy.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 PM
sweetpea01

Just as a side note.......they also came out waaaaaaaaaay after JR/Spektrum and XPS which solved many of the growing pains for them.

You will eventually see some mishaps as it is just an RF link that can and will fail. But since the release of Fasst I think a better question is

From the release date of FASST until today......New users of FASST or JR/Spektrum......who has crashed due to suspect of the radio? I think that wold give you more reliable data points
Old 06-15-2008, 09:24 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Futaba makes a R/C system for jets?? Since I havent seen any at the fields I guess I have never seen any crashes! Scotty
Old 06-15-2008, 11:16 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01

Just as a side note.......they also came out waaaaaaaaaay after JR/Spektrum and XPS which solved many of the growing pains for them.
Actually, the technology used the the FASST system is completely different than that used in both the Spektrum and XPS units. In addition, Futaba has been using their FHSS technology, that FASST is based on, in industrial applications since before XPS and Spektrum were even started as companies. Finally, from what I've sean and heard XPS hasn't worked out all of their growing pains - for that matter, it seems that neither has Spektrum.

The only thing that you could credit Spektrum and XPS with is proving out the market enough to get Futaba to finally bring their stuff to market...

Bob
Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Yann

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's been one crash here in France that I heard of (12 FGA/FASST). It happened to the club next door. I talked to the unfortunate pilot/owner last week end.
He told me he was flying his feibao F18 way too far and as he lost total control of the plane, he figured out (a little too late) that he was having his antenna pointing towards his plane. Lesson learned.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 PM
sweetpea01

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Actually, the technology used the the FASST system is completely different than that used in both the Spektrum and XPS units. In addition, Futaba has been using their FHSS technology, that FASST is based on, in industrial applications since before XPS and Spektrum were even started as companies. Finally, from what I've sean and heard XPS hasn't worked out all of their growing pains - for that matter, it seems that neither has Spektrum.

The only thing that you could credit Spektrum and XPS with is proving out the market enough to get Futaba to finally bring their stuff to market...

Bob

I was talking about things specific to all 2.4

Issues with shadowing the antennas, battery voltage reboots, antenna placement etc.

These issues are apparent with all 2.4 devices and FASST has the advantage that the other companies had these issues first so more folks are "aware" before they ever put FASST in.

And I would say FASST still has some specific issues such as zguid/heat.......and of course Spektrum and XPS still have their own problems as well. but then so does 72mhz.

The problem that I had with the original question is it just wanted crashes while on FASST......that is very vague as to why it crashed. Assuming its a FASST radio issue and not just a dumb thumb.........would help, but if it was a FASST issue was it a common issue that effects all 2.4 or was it FASST specific?

To me the thread is almost a troll to say FASST is better or FASST is worse. I think within the next year or so you will see that FASST is as reliable as JR/Spektrum and vice versa (I won't speak to XPS at this time).

And for me, both are a better choice than 72mhz for several reasons.......and in some areas 72mhz is better.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:31 PM
tahfiet

Hi yann!

I have range-tested my fast system with the Airworld Cougar yesterday. It is much bigger than the FB F-18 and I flew in a distance of 1200 - 1400m. I can say that my radio worked fine, but that is not the point. It is very hard to see a jet in that distance and a lot of guys did get confused and somehow lost control due to bad vision. But I have to admit: I never in my live tried to point on my airplane with the antenna :-). That is not a FASST issue, it is a general issue of high frequency antenna (or antennas in general?).

By the way: Yesterday I saw the coolest looking 2G4 tranny ever. It was a modified T6EX with the original antenna removed. The antenna wire was put into the plastic handle and a blue LED positioned in the "antenna hole". The guy was telling everyone that he was flying with a bluetooth tx

BR,

David
Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m using Fasst in all my high power electrics … which I feel have a higher chance for interference… my Cermark F-16 with DS-94 and neu motor 1527.. has been rock solid and I have hundreds of flight on my Fasst RX’s
I just love the system.. Sorry Matt not a crash report.. Just a very happy user

Old 06-16-2008, 02:31 PM
GrayUK

Sorry to be defensive on this but that statement is just not true.
Futaba have been making 2.4 g industrial control system for a hell of a long time, way before anyone else even got their feet wet. The patent on the FASST system with pre-vision registered US Patent # 6,142,392 dated Oct 31,2000.
So I do not think Futaba learned anything from Spektrum /JR or others.
The issues Spekrum had do not relate to Futaba, the chipset is not sensitive to low voltage and due to the frequency hopping it takes less than 1 second to lock on.

The nature of the deferent technologies makes it unlikely that lessons in one system could be of use in others.
You mention later about blanking of aerials, I have done extensive testing with FASST and have yet to see any issues with that. The patented FASST and prevision enable Futaba to function without the need for multiple rx’s etc. This simplifies install and makes the system more reliable as there is less to go wrong (KISS)

Yes Futaba dropped the ball on the Zero GUID issue, but they did acknowledge the error and recovered the situation quickly, even paying for smashed airframes.
As for temp issues, my data shows Futaba chipset is rated –10C to +60C.
Spektrum is 0C to +70C. Either system is good at high temps, provided reasonable precautions are taken to ensure over heating does not occur, i.e. Keep the rx’s out of direct sunlight and away from sources of extreme conductive heat, engines etc. To be honest, this is standard install considerations (or it should be!)
Low temp is another issue, last year in our club, 2 Spektrum sets would not function at all, temps at the time were below freezing. The FASST systems functioned and flew all day.

In relation to the question, I know of and have heard of many Spektrum systems crashing, I am sure not all are down to the radio. I also know many Spekrum users who have had zero issues. However, I have no knowledge of any FASST related crashes at all.

Paul

Old 06-16-2008, 03:57 PM
sweetpea01

Sorry for any confusion.........FASST came out to the R/C community after Spektrum/JR. It really doesn't matter how long it was patented or in the hands of other users. This is about R/C.

I also guess I should clarify.......I should not have said Futaba learned from Spektrum/JR.......but that FASST users (the general R/C public) learned from the mistakes that other 2.4 companies that had products avail to the R/C community first.

Is that clear enough?

I still wouldn't say FASST is superior to Spektrum/JR........just a different way to skin the cat. They both work and they will both fail.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:07 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to joke this time, but in reality what is the ratio of FAAST flights to spektrum/JR 2.4 flights? I can honestly say that I have only seen ONE Futaba 2.4 flight in the last three months and many hundreds of Spektrum/JR flights. I dont know the ratios in other parts of the country but out here it is easily 10:1 so of course there will be less FAAST crashes. Lets ask the original post question in a year when (or if) FAAST matches the number of in air hours. I agree that the frequency hopping system does appear to be better, but lets wait. Scott
Old 06-16-2008, 04:10 PM
siclick33

So what have FASST users learned from Spektrum users? The 2 systems are completely different. Installation is different, setup is different, power requirements are different.

I am not saying that Spektrum is a bad system and I run a DX7 in an electric heli myself but in complex setups it would appear that you have to be more careful with Spektrum than FASST.

The fact that Spektrum appears to have rushed their product to the marketplace is not a defence. FASST has worked almost faultlessly from day 1 (other than the GUID issue that has been fixed).
Old 06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Ehab

Aslo, Futaba has the hi temp issue!!

BTW, does a mid air collision with a FASST count as a failure
Old 06-16-2008, 04:31 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ehab

Aslo, Futaba has the hi temp issue!!

BTW, does a mid air collision with a FASST count as a failure

When and where did you have a mid air??? I haven't seen you even fly and ugly stick around here.

You must have had the Baht on the brain when you were in thailand!!!

Raf
Old 06-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Ehab

ORIGINAL: ravill

When and where did you have a mid air??? I haven't seen you even fly and ugly stick around here.

You must have had the Baht on the brain when you were in thailand!!!

Raf
Again, you put your FEET in your mouth [:'(][:'(], you must like the taste[X(][X(]. My Reaction, flown with a Fasst had a mid air with a Kangaroo[&:] on 72 mhz....15,000.01 miles away...The Futaba Rx is so poorly desinged that it did not survive the high temp [>:][>:]of the flames[][]
Old 06-16-2008, 04:46 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, "Bahtman"!!! I know what you like the taste of!![sm=idea.gif]

Raf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.