Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

50cc Giles not far away

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 50cc Giles not far away

Okay, all you guys that have been whining about wanting a 50cc class Giles, here's the prototype. I just finished it a few minutes ago.

It has 88" wing span and 80" length, wing area is 1390 sq. inches. This one has a TOC-53 and is being used as a testbed to check out HD Power digital servos. It has a single A123 pack used for the whole plane.

More info later, planes in about 3 months (maybe).

No I haven't weighed it yet but it feels like the usual 16.5 to 17 lbs.

TF

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18769.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1178898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55831.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1178899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35104.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	1178900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22379.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1178901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67959.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1178902  
Old 04-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 50cc Giles not far away

Time to come up with a truly wild and different color scheme. The color schemes currently offered seem to be the biggest complaint platform.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure that I want one of these. Also keep us posted on the Power HD servos. I have some on the way and I plan to totally abuse them.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:11 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Wow. I just found my next 50cc plane. Looks great Tom!

For color schemes It is impossible to please everybody! I always liked the blue/yellow Feather scheme, although my gen-1 was in the red/white feather.

Here is another that I like: http://www.pbase.com/drimar/image/58203558 and http://www.pbase.com/drimar/image/58203559 .

note the HUGE ailerons on that tiny plane. It must roll like (insert favorite cliche here... )

So, Tom, what is the likelihood of plugging some Extra wings onto that fuse, a la MX2? Sorry, but this question will be asked sooner or later...
Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 PM
rctom

I'm sure that would be very easy to do.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:10 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

On second thought, just a simple Red Bull Base scheme would look nice. I think your prototype scheme would look great with the Honda scheme graphics similar to your Sukhoi.

Either way I am very interested in this plane. I would LOVE to have a 50cc pattern plane, and this is just about as close as it gets.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I much prefer the simple color schemes. Many planes today are just too busy for my taste. The prototype 50 Giles looks great! The original Wild Hare Giles is one of the best looking planes ever built and that scheme would also look great on the 50.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Tired Old Man

I tend to agree with that. The red and white one in the 35% version I still have and would not mind at all having a smaller one in the same scheme. Simple and clean. That would just about give me a reason to try out a BME 58....
Old 04-13-2009, 07:20 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I always prefer simple, but clean schemes myself. I think you need to offer the 88" Edge scheme on every plane you stock.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 AM
blownalcohol

Hey Tom,

Just wanted to cast my vote on the 50cc Giles color scheme..... I REALLY like the blue/yellow feather scheme on the larger version..... Thanks for tackling this area of the market....I think it will prove to be a wise decision....

Jeff
Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 AM
gdm

Tom that red and black looks pretty good
Iam just finishing my 106 giles now i will have to buy this one you have to quite doing this!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 AM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

WHY OH WHY do you do this to me... Now I have to sneak around the wife again and explain where the new plane came from do not think Santa will work anymore LOL
Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 AM
rctom

There's plenty of time, at least 3 months before I get any of them. Other scheme ideas are welcome.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 AM
tankertoad

Tom - It seems like you've collected a lot of customer designed schemes over the years. Why not post them all and take a poll?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 AM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Very good Idea and also take suggestions or pictures and then take a vote on the top five or so !!!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 AM
rctom

Yesterday I had the opportunity to do the first test flights of the new 50cc Giles. As I expected, it flew exactly the same as the larger Giles. I say as I expected because this plane is simply a scaled down version on the 106" plane.

It flies like a Giles. It goes where you point it and feels like it is an arrow, holding a perfect straight line until told to do otherwise. Rolling circles, waterfalls, walls, etc. were all done with ease and no bad tendencies. What little hovering we did was no problem, and upright and inverted flat spins seemed like the plane would never come down.

I do feel I ought to mention a minor limitation. There is a problem with using canisters on any low wing plane. The wing tube position limits the potential length of the exhaust system. The Giles has a canister tunnel built into the plane, but I feel it will be difficult to find a muffler/header combination that will fit conveniently. I'll keep looking but nothing available at the moment will work. There's plenty of room for a Pitts type muffler or the stock muffler.

The plane I am flying is using a TOC-53 and is slightly nose heavy. I would therefore say that one of the popular lightweight engines like a DL-50 would be an excellent match for a 3d type pilot, and the TOC-53 is perfect for IMAC/pattern and any tyoe of sport flying.

Landings were a non-event, just fly it down to the runway and wait for it to stop flying. No drama, no attitude. Anybody that has landed a trainer can land this thing. And BTW the landing gear on this Giles is a touch heavier than what is used on the Edge and Extras, again making it a great plane for an everyday flyer who plans to put a lot of use and some abuse on the plane. It's a rugged yet high performance, stable airframe that can do anything.

I've always loved the Giles even thoug it's not very popular, maybe this one will convince people of just how versatile teh design is.

This weekend there is a fly-in in Dallas and I will be attending with the Giles. I'm flying Kyle Woyshnitz in to do demo flights. If you can attend come on out. If not I'll try to get some video shot.

TF
Old 04-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Tired Old Man

I really don't have room for another plane without getting rid of one, but I'm interested for sure. If they happen to make a white one keep me in mind. Easy to work graphics if you have a blank slate. Perhaps consider pearls or metallics for base colors.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:45 AM
HISS

Looking for a good 50CC entry IMAC with lots of room to grow with my skills. My friend Jim has your 100CC WildHare extra 260 And preforms IMAC patterns extremely well. I will be buying parts as I can. So far Ordered 55DL, looking at servo's, the HD and the Hyperion core less. Any feel for the Hyperion? Very interested in your thoughts for the Giles vs. 260.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: HISS

Looking for a good 50CC entry IMAC with lots of room to grow with my skills. My friend Jim has your 100CC WildHare extra 260 And preforms IMAC patterns extremely well. I will be buying parts as I can. So far Ordered 55DL, looking at servo's, the HD and the Hyperion core less. Any feel for the Hyperion? Very interested in your thoughts for the Giles vs. 260.
My feeling is the Giles is a better pattern plane, but not so much better that you wouldn't have to practice. The pilot with the most practice time will out-fly all others regardless of what he is flying.

You do need a plane that's rugged and reliable to do all that practicing, and either the Giles or Extra will do the job there.

Either plane is great for IMAC, I just didn't want anyone to think that just because they are flying the better plane they will have a big advantage, it's more like they will have less disadvantage.

This is a common question, probably the most common. Which is the better 3D or IMAC plane. The answer is not what you would expect.

Any of the planes that Wild Hare sells will do anything you ask. But each design has quirks. So the first thing to do is make a list of what you want and more important a list of things that you really hate.

Scratch off the list planes with things you hate. I for one don't care for round cowls, so for me the Sukhoi is out. But a whole lot of people like round cowls so what's true for me may not be true for you.

Now, after that pick the one whose looks you like. Because there isn't anything about one plane or another that can't be overcome through mixing and trimming. They all do 3D and they will all fly IMAC well enough that it will be the pilot that makes the difference.

They all start out a little different and they can all be made to do whatever you like.

TF
Old 04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
flatspinjim

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I really don't have room for another plane without getting rid of one, but I'm interested for sure. If they happen to make a white one keep me in mind. Easy to work graphics if you have a blank slate. Perhaps consider pearls or metallics for base colors.

I would be happy to take that big Edge off your hands!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
HISS

I totally understand the Practice statement. I spend at least 30 min to an hour everyday on sim. and am currently flying an Electric 3DHS 55" Extra and with calm winds, BASIC is pretty good but at less than 5lbs, it gets pushed around a lot. When I fly a friends 50CC, it obviously requires rudder to stay on line but much easier to control. I know some planes are better at 3D and some do both well and some are designed for IMAC primarally. Just asking your opinion, Thanks. Looking forward to your servo test results.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:16 PM
flatspinjim

ORIGINAL: HISS

I totally understand the Practice statement. I spend at least 30 min to an hour everyday on sim. and am currently flying an Electric 3DHS 55" Extra and with calm winds, BASIC is pretty good but at less than 5lbs, it gets pushed around a lot. When I fly a friends 50CC, it obviously requires rudder to stay on line but much easier to control. I know some planes are better at 3D and some do both well and some are designed for IMAC primarally. Just asking your opinion, Thanks. Looking forward to your servo test results.

Welcome aboard Steve! We need a few more Wildhares out at the field.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:54 PM
HISS

ORIGINAL: flatspinjim

Welcome aboard Steve! We need a few more Wildhares out at the field.

Hay Jim, My wife says I'm a wild hare so..... who knows. Servo's next on my list.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 PM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

Tom you gotta stop this. I just showed my wife the giles and she says it is the plane or her. I am sure going to miss her.

Rich
Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Tom,
Nice looking airplane, the Giles. I like how you think a bit outside the box.

We've been discussing color schemes...for me I always like the simple schemes to start with. I really like the Red/Black you've done on this one. I generally like lighter colors also. White, Yellow I feel are the most easy to see in the sky. Also I like huge contrasts from the top to the bottom. I like a large "checkerboard" scheme for underneath. This seems to be the easiest and quickest to discern for my eyes. With a good base color and a simple scheme people can add a reasonable amount of graphics and personalize the scheme very easily. This removes some of the "everybody's the same" syndrone at the flying field for us ARF fliers. For me, the less "blue" the better.

I have your 35% Sukhoi and dearly love the plane. But I feel the Red Bull scheme is a bit like camouflage in the sky. The silver/grey looks like clouds sometimes and the blue looks like sky. It's really not too bad but I'd personally like a simplier scheme. But as a side note...the plane is about the best flyer I've ever encountered. I love it. But, it's so big I have to really be commited to take it too the field. It's almost more than I can haul. And when I take it, it's the only plane I can take because it uses up all the space.

Anyways, nice looking plane.
Thanks
Barry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.