Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Matt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tune a DLE 55cc gas engine

Here's a manual that i found on the web:
[link]http://www.chiefaircraft.com/Models/Engines/DLE/DLE55MANUAL.pdf[/link]

I don't have the engine yet, but i soon will and was wanting to know a few little things.

1) What the heck does the idle adjustment screw do?? Is it an air bleed thing? [X(]
2) For the low speed needle, which way makes it leaner? The manual doesn't really say.
3) I'm going to ask the same for the high speed needle.

please help me out if you can.
Thank you for your help!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: How to tune a DLE 55cc gas engine

it works the same way than low engines...i guess you fly something. Check your pm, i sent you a process for tune, hope it helps.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Matt

I don't have the engine yet, but i soon will and was wanting to know a few little things.

1) What the heck does the idle adjustment screw do?? Is it an air bleed thing? [X(]
2) For the low speed needle, which way makes it leaner? The manual doesn't really say.

Thank you for your help!
Have you read the "Newbie" gas engine thread at the top of this forum? Should answer most if not all of your questions.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Thank you for your help!
To answer you directly:
The idle adjustment screw is just a stop for the spring loaded part of the throttle arm (Not the arm that connects to throttle servo). Some remove the screw, I just screw it in until the throttle butterfly completely closes, then another little bit. You'll do idle adjustments thru your servo linkage and radio. Most guys disconnect the spring, but leave it in place.

Both high and low needles turn clockwise for lean.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Matt

*I wouldn't say that i'm a newbie at this, but people were right when they said that the instruction manual for these engines lacks a lot of information.

*But no i didn't even think about checking out the 'newbie post'.

*I'll check my messages 'JOHNS3D'
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Truckracer

*I wouldn't say that i'm a newbie at this, but people were right when they said that the instruction manual for these engines lacks a lot of information.

*But no i didn't even think about checking out the 'newbie post'.

*I'll check my messages 'JOHNS3D'
If you're new to gassers ..... welcome! You won't want to go back to glo engines.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 AM
JOHNS3D

for me The idle adjustment screw is useless, i just remove it, i just hear my servo buzz when the buttlefly is completly closed. and set my links/endpoint at that time.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Matt

I've had one ugly looking gas airplane that was a low wing trainer with a 88 inch wing span..[X(]
*but don't say that about glow engines, these gas airplanes and everything that has to go into it are expensive for me. glow engines are nice, until you get into the REALLY big glows like the 1.80, then you better get your wallet out to buy the fuel. That's why i went gas on this 27% airplane. I could fly for 15 minutes and still have fuel left! and about $2.70 per gallon.
But i figured i try it and see how I like it. I already have the butter flies everytime i think about it...lol
Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 AM
JOHNS3D

great matt, the gassers need a lot of attention in details, the propeller should be balanced with the hug too, if not there will be huge vibration on the airframe and something bad can happen. Dont think twice to ask here any question.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Matt

Yeah, i heard about that..i'm going to seek some help with balancing the prop...
Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
JOHNS3D

sent you a pm with the link of the video for propeller and hub balancing.

Regards
Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*I wouldn't say that i'm a newbie at this,
Based on the questions you've asked, I will.

There are numerous, if not hundreds, of posts already written about how to tune a gas engine. Failing to understand if a needle opening or closing leans or richens a mixture indicates you need to read as many of those posts as possible to gain some understanding of what you are doing. ALL gas engines tune in the same manner. Glow fueld engines as well. In is leaner, out is richer.

Several websites have a full description of what you need to do to tune an engine. RCGF, RCS/ZDZ, Aerovate, 3w, etc. I'll suggest visiting them and reading the instructions. That saves re-writing another book on how to tune an engine.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Matt

I have another question. When setting up your fuel tank for your gas engine, Do you have to install brass tubing with these 'fuel barbs' on each end on the brass? I probably spelled it wrong but i think you'll know what i'm taking about. What's the purpose of the barbs anyway?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 PM
JOHNS3D

i have it in my tank.....download any manual of 50cc airplanes from www.aero-works.net and there is some information of how to install it, general setup, etc.</p>
Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Matt

okay, but are they really nessary though?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM
iliveonlytocrash

Give this website a try: http://tech.flygsw.org/walbro_tuneup.htm
Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Matt

wow...that could be useful!!! lol thank you
Old 01-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Truckracer

okay, but are they really nessary though?
Fuel line barbs aren't 100% necessary but they're darn handy! For me, they are necessary as they add security for retaining fuel lines on the brass tubing. With a barb and a ty-wrap securing the line, I know it will not come off. Fuel lines, especially the clunk line in the tank tend to swell a bit when in fuel. Gasoline based fuels also make the lines very slippery ..... more so than lines used with glo fuels so they tend to slip off the brass tubing if a positive means isn't provided to retain them.

If you don't want to spend the money for fuel barbs, you can make a small circle from something like 20 gauge copper wire, slip it over the end of the brass tubing down about 1/8" from the end. Solder in place, clean well with solvent or alcohol and you have a no cost home made sort of barb. Combined with a wire tie, its just as good a barb.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Matt

okay cool..thank you. I rather spend the money and just get the fuel barbs. What about sodering them on? Can i use electrical soder? Or is there something else that is prefered? thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Truckracer

Rosin core solder works very well on clean brass. Thats what I use all the time. Just a tiny bit of paste flux such as used on copper pipes for plumbing work will make the job a bit easier though but it isn't completely necessary.

Matt, would it be out of line to ask what your age group might be. Sounds like you don't have a lot of life experience with the way your questions are worded.

Another area you might investigate for more info would be the various manufacturers instruction manuals. You can download many manuals from companies such as WildHare, AeroWorks, Great Planes and Hanger 9 just to mention a few. These all have excellent info how to assemble various components for gas powered planes. WildHare also has info on gas engine introduction and oil information for fuels. AeroWorks manuals have excellent pictures and instructions. There is a world of good info out there if you keep looking for it. Of course, keep the questions coming on this forum.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM

okay cool..thank you. I rather spend the money and just get the fuel barbs. What about sodering them on? Can i use electrical soder? Or is there something else that is prefered? thanks
Personally, I don't fool with glow-type fuel tanks anymore.
These tanks are far superior, IMO.
You can put the fittings where you want to, the nipples have enlarged ends
that you can wrap a small zip-tie around ( no barbs needed), the cap screws on on off for easy servicing, which
IMO, you should do at least once a year, plus they come with a heavy, felt clunk that filters the fuel.

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page5.htm
Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Matt

I'm 20 years old. I can be bad at asking questions a lot sometimes if that's what you mean. lol Also to, i'm a bit paranoid because this is my first 27%er. So i want to do everything the right way so that i won't have a lot of problems and my model looks very nice. Does that answer your question?

*also sometimes to,(and i don't knoiw if you guys do this) i'll ask a question which i already know the answer to. In this case i'm just looking for other peoples opinions.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 AM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

Matt,

Do you belong to a club ? Are you a member of your local flying field ? There
is a welth of information about all the questions you are asking right at your
finger tips.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Matt

You bet i belong to a flying club. I've been flying glow and electric airplanes for about 6 years now. All the guys at my field, including myself, can probably figure out any problem with a glow engine with little or no problem. But when it comes to gas...there's really nobody to go to that knows 'everything' about gassers. So we're pretty much all glow people.
*We have one guy who is younger than me that flies a nice gasser, but he only comes out to fly once in a blue moon. lol
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 PM
JOHNS3D

well you can learn here a lot of things...try to read the DL50 thread, it will takes time but it worth it. As i said if you have any question a lot of people here will help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.