Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

best gas engine for a Sig 4*120

Old 12-26-2010, 07:01 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best gas engine for a Sig 4*120

I'm building a 4*120 kit (my first gasser)and I'm at the point where I need to decide the engine. I know guys in our hobby like to share opinions so I'm open to advice. I'm guessing the plane will weigh between 12.25 and 12.75 pounds. My thoughts are DLE 20, DLE30, and a CRRC gp26R with a rear carb... (www.maxfordusa.com sells them)

I like the idea of the beam mounts and favor the DLE 20 (Has anyone here put a dle 20 in a 4*120 who can comment on it's performance?)but wonder if it will have enough power. I like the DLE 30 but don't like standoffs (yes yes...I know they work fine, but I know that CA hinges work fine too and I don't like them either) and wonder if it would be too much for the 4*120 airframe (I've seen guys on youtube put even bigger engines on 4*120's, but don't know what they did to beef the plane up. I have already doubled the firewall and put a little extra bracing inside the fuselage so I think the fuse would be fine, but haven't built the wing yet)

The third engine the CRRC gp26R (rear carb) http://www.maxfordusa.com/crrc26ccgasengine-2.aspx weighs about the same as the DLE 30. I like the looks of that engine and it's beam mounting but from what I've heard/read CRRC are not as well regarded as the DLE engines. Also, I don't know about parts/support for the CRRC but know that DLE spares are easy to find.

Any advice guys? Would the dle 20 be enough power for a 4*120? or would the DLE 30 be a better choice? Any issues with vibrations from the dle30 with the standoffs? I currently fly a 4*40 with an Aviastar 46 and like that combo(peppy, but not overpowered) I also plan to mount a small digital camera to the 4*120 when it's done, but even with the dle20 I doubt that a small camera would impact performance significantly on such a big bird. Basically,

I'm looking for the same type of performance I'm getting from my 4*40 with the glow .46...more than enough power but I don't really care about "unlimited vertical" Also, I don't want to spend the $$$ on an Evolution engine and the Zenoahs have a huge mount template that won't fit easily on the 4*120 firewall. Thanks guys!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: best gas engine for a Sig 4*120

I have all three of the engines you described. The DLE engines are hot performers. The CRRC Pro is a workhorse for me. I like them all, but the DLE when you want/need higher engine performance.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:09 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

do you think the dle20 would be enough for a roughly 12.5 pound sport-type plane like the 4*120?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:19 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Depends on your flying style. I have a DLE20 in a 13 lb GP Giant Super Sportster. Not 3D performance, but hauls the aircraft around just fine with gentle aerobatics. In a 10 lb 5 oz CG Wild Stick 120 I have the CRRC Pro GF26I v2 and do great aerobatics. The DLE20 will out-perform the CRRC Pro no question. I did not want to put a DLE30 on the Sportser though .. IMHO too much engine. I put the DLE30 in my Sig Extra 300XS. See "MyModels".
Old 12-26-2010, 11:11 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Dle 20 for sport, Dle 30 for hot dogging. If you haven't yet then clip one bay off each wing, makes it a little sportier and lands much better.