Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM F-86 Info Needed

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM F-86 Info Needed

Old 08-12-2003, 02:10 AM
RCDON
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BVM F-86 Info Needed

I need help from a BVM F-86 pilot that is willing to share info.
I have recently purchased a RTF BVM F-86 and could use some help. I have a bit of prop model experience but no stick time on a jet model (except the simulator) and I don't know what to expect with this model. I hope to get some local help at the field but I would like to be a educated before I show up. The 86 has a BVM 91 w/ mixture and seems to have never been flown.

Are there any known issues with this airframe?

What is the typical speed of this model?

Landing issues if any.

How much elevator control throw is needed/servo torque?

Dead stick flight?

Flap use on takeoff and landing.

Any info is greatly appreciated and thanks a lot for reading this thread.

Don Giandomenico
Old 08-12-2003, 02:44 AM
T Redelman

I believe there is about 3 or 4 BVM reps in the state of Cali so your best bet is to get in touch with one of them . They are a wealth of information and all very experienced in this area. I would help you myself but am to far away. These guys are reps because there helpful and knowledgeable in the field of jets. Use them! If they are not available please don't hesitate to call me and I'll be your wingman Maverick! The F-86 is a great airplane and has no bad vices as a jet. I am flying one with a Jetcat and its awesome. Landings are hotter than most prop planes but always predictable. The instructions are available from BVM and have all the CG info and throws in them. They are also good to have so you know whats inside the airplane. There is also a section in the back describing proper first flight technique. Use of flaps and so on. If none of the reps are in your immediate area it would be worth your time and money to make a day trip to meet up with one of them. I have seen many a future jet modeler who are good prop pilots try to fly one of these jets thinking" that doesn't look so hard " and ball up a perfectly good airplane. A little help goes a long way. Don't be too proud to ask for help. There is a learning curve associated with jets thats not hard to learn but can be expensive if learned the hard way. Hope all this doesn't sound like I am trying to scare anyone, I would just like to see you be successful in you endeavor and am sure others feel the same way. Good luck!!

Tim Redelman
Old 08-12-2003, 02:57 AM
barneybaru
My Feedback: (4)

Default F -86 Help

I have had two of those beauties. They fly great if the CG is right.
Give me email and we can get intouch.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:09 AM
T Redelman

I didn't want to mention any names!!! LOL!!

See you at the man Bags?

Tim
Old 08-13-2003, 02:19 AM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Default Advice

It is a great flying plane. The only advice I would give for your first flight is that you spend sufficient time flying it around in the dirty configuration to get used to how slow it will fly. This will help you a bunch on landings. Use flaps.

When I first flew mine, I couldn't get used to how much it would float, and I would tend to overshoot. When I learned to slow the bird down and control descent with power, the landings got a lot better.

I have flown most of the DF aircraft made, and this one is one of my favorites. Good luck with it.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:51 AM
RCDON
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks very much for the info on this aircraft. I look foreward to getting some stick time on this jet and I will have to contact BVM for a manual on this bird for the other questions. I hope to fly it within a couple of weeks. I will post pictures and a report of what I experience with the jet. Thanks again for your help guys.

Don Giandomenico
Old 08-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Mark Taylor
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Don.....
I'm flying the turbine version, and it is a jewel! If you need any help and Bags is not available, feel free to contact me anytime. All my contact info is available on the BVM website.
Good Luck and Best Regards,

Mark Taylor
BVM Rep.