Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Dual Elevators and Flaps on a 8103, YIKES!!!

Old 08-14-2003, 03:30 AM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Elevators and Flaps on a 8103, YIKES!!!

Hi Danny, I know you're probably sick of 8103 flap questions but I'm really stuck. I'm putting together a P-47 that has dual elevator servo's and flaps. I printed out the instructions that you gave to a couple of other guys and have tried to follow them to the letter. I got the elevators to work without problem but when I tried to program the flaps frustration set in.

I've got the elevators set up on Mix 5 and 3 and I'm using ch. 3 and aux 3.

The flaps are on Mix 4, 6 and 2. I can only get 1 rate to set in the flap to spoil mix. I move the landing switch but can only get 1 rate. I also have this problem in Mix #2 and no matter what I do I can't get rid of the ch 7, aux 2 pot.

The 2 sets of instructions I printed out were using common channels and mix's for the elevator and flaps. I need specific instructions for programming flaps AND dual elevators.

Also, I'm using a 549X rx and have notice that my servo's twitch qiute a bit while I'm working with the radio in my family room. I've got some JR 537's and some Tower hobbies servo's. Should I be concerned about this twitching?

I hope this makes some kind of sense to you. I'm really confused! :stupid: :stupid:

Thanks for your help,

Chris Strasbourg,
Bothell, Wa
Old 08-14-2003, 06:16 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need a little more information to help out much. How do you have your ailerons set up? Are you using the Flaperon function, or a Y harness, or similar? Are you using channel 5 for your retracts? If so, you will find that you are 1 channel short to set up dual ailerons, dual flaps, and dual elevators each plugged into their own channel in the reciever. You would need to use either a Y harness or a matchbox on one of those functions. With a few more details of you set up I can come up with some specific programming instructions for you.

On the 549, you may want to try it out outside, or even at the flying field. Sometimes the lights inside a house and other electronics can cause problems such as you have stated. If you can touch the control surface with light pressure and it stops, there likely isn't a problem with flying them as air loads will prevent the servos from jittering. If they do not stop it may be a servo problem, or a receiver problem.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:11 PM
catboater

Default flaps

Danny, I'm using a Y harness for the ailerons and I am using the gear ch. for retracts. I am not using the flaperon mix. I spoke with Randy at your office today and according to him I do NOT have enough programmable mix's to eliminate the ch. 7 pot. He also suggested a Matchbox. Can I use a servo reversing Y harness for the flaps or elevator? I'd like to avoid an additional $70. if possible.

As an experiment, I pulled out my Ultra Stick programming guide and was able to get everything working, or so I thought, in glider mode. My gear switch quit working but the retract servo moved when I moved the aileron stick. Pretty wacky, hugh?

I appreciate your time and help. Randy was great too! I'm glad we JR users have a resource like Horizon tech support to fall back on.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:21 PM
dsnyder

Actually if you were using dual aileron servos without a Y harness, I was going to suggest glider mode. In glider mode, channel 5 is used as a second aileron channel. Doing that you can set up dual flaps just like the ultra stick, use channel 5 for your second aileron channel, and use a program mix to operate the gear from the gear switch while using channel 8 as the channel the gear is plugged in to. Then you would need to use a reversing Y or a matchbox on the elevator. You would actually be able to it up in aircraft mode, I believe using 5 total mixes, so you would not run out, and you would continue to use the gear as you have it now, and the ailerons as you have them now. Let me know which way you would like to go and I can try to help out as much as possible in setting that up.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:18 AM
catboater

Default Reversing Y harness

Hi again Danny, Using a servo reversing Y harness on the elevator I was able to get everything working almost perfectly. The only problem I have now is with my flaps in the center position. At full deflection they extend down to 30 mm and at the mid section I've programmed them to go 1/2 way to 15mm. One servo goes to 15mm but the other one will only drop to 10mm. After several reprogramming attempts I gave up and called your center for help. You had left but I did get to speak to ??. I forgot his name.
Anyway, He talked me through it again and the program checked out. His conclusion was that it must be in the servo's. I hate to admit it but, I used Tower hobbies servo's for the flaps and this is where he thought the problem might be. Being cheapo's they're probably not as accurate as the rest of the 537's I used. Do you agree or do you think there might be a way to get them even in the mid section? In reality I probably won't even use them in the center position. I doubt the "Jug" will need them for takeoff and when landing I'll be using full flaps.

I would really be interested to see the program you have in mind in glider mode as I have an Cermark F-16 next in line to build which all of this will be repeated on.

This has been a real learning experience for me. I've had my 8103 for almost 2 years and this is the first real programing I've done. It's actually pretty cool!

Thanks again for your help!
Chris
Old 08-15-2003, 05:35 PM
dsnyder

It could be a servo issue. To be sure, go to your servo monitor and verify that both channels are moving the proper amount. If they are going the same amount in the servo monitor, they should be going the same amount in the plane. You can make up for minor differences by using the travel adjustment as needed, but sounds like that will not cure the issue you are seeing. The servo monitor should tell you if it is programming or in the servos.

For the glider mode set up, I would follow the ultra stick programming for alsmost everything stopping short of setting up crow etc of course. Then set up a program mix, channel 8 to channel 8, assign it to the gear switch, store an offset in the mix, and set the percentages of the mix as needed and use that for your gear channel. With the ultra stick programming you would set up dual ailerons using channels 2 and 5, dual flaps using channels 6 and 7, and retracts on channel 8.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.