Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Backwards Moki 1.8

Old 04-16-2002, 01:56 PM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backwards Moki 1.8

Allright, my Moki 1.8 is easy enough to start. Prime it, apply glow and just a couple of flicks with the chicken stick and it fires up,...... running backwards 4 out of 5 times.

I've never had an engine with such a knack for starting backwards. It probably isn't fully broken in yet, and I don't know if that is one possible factor.

Anybody else experience this? What glow plugs are you running in your Moki?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:27 PM
pmartjr

Hi Jim,

I have had two of these Moki 180's and they both did the same thing yours is doing. It does go away as they break in, so I think you will see it get better. The instructions said full break in needs over five hours or so and I would say that is correct from my experience with them. I does seem to help to be sure the engine is good and wet for starting as well. It is more likely to start correct when it is really wet and you hear a spitting sound out of the carb an full throttle when you are snapping it around after your choke snaps. THIS IS WITHOUT THE GLOW!!!! I wish I could describe that sound better to you, but when I hear that correct sound, I know when I put the glow on it is going to start right up the right way. It is a great, reliable engine with a lot of power.

I almost forgot, I use a Hanger 9 plug called "Extra Life Sport Plug", part # HAN3005. I have been using the very same plug in both of these engines. I broke a crank in the first one and put the plug over in to the next engine and it is still going strong. I would say it has over twenty hours on it now.

Hope this helps,
Paul
Old 04-17-2002, 01:59 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default Start the Moki by flipping BACKWARDS

You should be flipping the prop BACKWARDS against compression to start the Moki. Then it generally runs in the proper direction. If it runs backwards, sometimes you can get it to change directions by pulling the throttle trim until it almost quits.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:43 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

My Moki also starts backwards on occasion. The best way to start I've found is to back-flip it. It doesn't take a whole lot of pressure either.
I've found If it's starting backwards, I'm back-flipping to hard, when all it takes is a good follow through. Not very hard, just a firm follow through with a chicken stick, and away she goes. It does need a sip (prime) or 2 of fuel sometimes though, those Moki's really like thier fuel.

I run an OS type F plug, and alchy(methanol) fuel from the go-kart shop that I add blendzall(castor/synthetic) oil. I run 17% oil, and it doesn't miss a beat. I've heard guys are dropping to 14 and 15%, that's OK. I just like a little more lube, and it's decently easy to clean up. Mixing fuel like this costs around $7.50 a gallon, that's nice when the thing goes through a gallon in about 7 or 8 flights.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:54 AM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Originally posted by DGrant
Mixing fuel like this costs around $7.50 a gallon, that's nice when the thing goes through a gallon in about 7 or 8 flights.
You know, that's what I expected, but. I can fly for 10 minutes and land and only use about 13-14 ounces of fuel. Mine is in a 1/4 H9 Cap 232 and I very seldom use more than 50-60% throttle. That may be the reason my 'mileage' is doing so well.

The engine is very spotty on being able to backflip start at this point. However it still hasn't gotten a lot of fuel through it yet either (less than 2 gallons). Yes it does like to be wet to fire off.

This engine has been rock solid reliable in the air and makes tremendous power. Just working through getting it broken in and getting used to it's manners.

Right now I'm running Omega FAI with 4 ounces of Benol Castor added to the gallon to get the lube close to 20% for breakin. also running the good old K&B 1L glowplug in it.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:47 PM
Duane Cox
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe you guys can help me out. I’m running a Moki 1.8 on my H9 Cap also. My question is that I have no destructions for this engine. I have only done the tuning by chance. The problem is that the hub adjustment on the carb is much more critical than the needle valve adjustment. Is this normal? Is there a tuning procedure for this engine?

I have experimented with a few props, but still haven’t found the ideal prop for this engine. What is you’re recommendations for the prop for the Cap?
Old 04-17-2002, 01:31 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: Start the Moki by flipping BACKWARDS

Originally posted by DMcQuinn
You should be flipping the prop BACKWARDS against compression to start the Moki. Then it generally runs in the proper direction. If it runs backwards, sometimes you can get it to change directions by pulling the throttle trim until it almost quits.

That is exactly right.........
Old 04-17-2002, 04:21 PM
Russman
My Feedback: (12)

I also have a Moki 1.8. To start mine,I open the throttle fully and put my finger over the carb and work the prop back and forth until she is sloppy wet.(no glow connectted of course) Then I close the carb to idle and connect the glow. I put 3 fingers on the spinner and spin it lightly backwards. Doesn't have to be hard. When it goes backwards against compression,it fires and starts in the right direction. People have been amazed that it will start that easily but give it a try. It may work for you.
Rusty