Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets and Aurora 9

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets and Aurora 9

Old 12-13-2011, 02:17 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jets and Aurora 9

Anyone here flying Jet with the Aurora 9? I have a few flights on a jet and over a year on Helicopters and prop planes without any problems at all. I am working on a new F18 and have heard of some people having crashes with this radio. I love the radio but wonder if I should trust this radio to a jet that cost like a Tams F18 or fly it with my old JR 72Mhz radio.

If you have been flying this radio in Jets, Let me know what you think! This is not to try and start a radio brand war....
Old 12-13-2011, 03:25 AM
F4U4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jets and Aurora 9

I have just started out in turbine flying,and currently flying a falcon 120 with a rabbit turbine and two aurora 9's on a buddy lead.So far no problems at all.Like you, I wondered about how good this radio is,then concluded hey if I worry about this I wouldn't get off the ground and be paranoid everytime I went up.I did a lot of reading thru the forums and it seems any radio is subject to failure anytime.Some good advice I saw was try your setup on a less valuable model first and see if that eases your mind and builds confidence.I try to install it following best practice and then keep batteries well charged at all times.I find this radio one of the easiest to use,no need to refer much to the manual as its intuitive and user friendly.Any problems I had with understanding some things in the manual I got over by trying a few steps till I understood.
I have not found any manual on radios well written anyway.I had read about the difference in the resolution compared to other sets and although its rated lower than some others I cannot detect any difference in response time.......that is it seems instantly responsive no lag.For the cynics I use JR ,Futaba as well to compare and find they are all good,its just what software you get used to.If any radio was crap well that company would go bust real quick.
Hope this helps,I don't post much but its just that I went thru a total loss of confidence in a radio after a crash that wrote a plane off about 5 years ago and its taken a lot to get it back.I have got a lot of info from the guys that post on here and wanted to add my little bit if it helps someone else.This is just my experience and may not be the view of others more knowledgable than me but I hope they chime in also.One thing since the advent of 2.4 radios things got a whole lot better.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 AM
ausfester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got an aurora 9 and a modelbau tornado.
The radio i love, and its been very reliable. However i have had one incident with loss of signal in my jet.
Fly-by down the runway which shortly after drops off into a valley, as i crossed over the end of leval land to valley i rolled for inverted flight and thats when it hit me.
Turbine went to idle and tornado jet plummeted to ground as oppisite elevator went to nutral as with all orther surfaces. Lifted radio high as i could holding aleron to roll her over if it came back.

Lucky enough 10m from the ground she rolled back and i pulled out and landed immediately there after.
Pulled out the gsu for the kingtech ecu and checked for tx/rx loss. It had 9 frames loss equiling 0.6 seconds.
Even got it on 1080p video, clear as day you can hear the turbine spool down and angle towards its immenant inverted death.

Not that i believe that the radio rx/tx were at fault, i believe my positioning of the antennas in the rx were the cause.
The main antenna (rear) which would have been recieving signal, was directly inline with the turbine in middle of the fuzz. I've since moved it higher towards the cockpit tub hoping that inverted flight with my tx facing the rear will still have a strong signal. A 650 degree buzzing turbine is sure to cause interferrance.
It has not happened again, but inverted flight is always much higher now just incase...

As with every setup, its always different but i believe that the radio is fine for Jets. (Im only new at this but have racked up 8 hours on my tornado with one incident)
I suppose those odds are not great but If it happens again ill be sure to let everyone know

My real concern is my next project 9 channels seems like its not enough.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I have over 100 flights on my A9 with my jets. I love the radio. At SEFF this last year their was no less then 50 transmitters on at a time with 5 flight lines and people in the pits and I flew my jets out very far with no problems at all. I have complete confidence in this radio.