Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What I've learned after 3 years in the hobby...

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What I've learned after 3 years in the hobby...

Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I've learned after 3 years in the hobby...

These are just some of the things I've learned, in completely random order.

1. Buying used is a great way to save money for the most part, but be careful what you get yourself into.
2. Traxxas is the absolute, hands-down most controversial thing in the hobby (not sure why, though).
3. Budget stores like HobbyKing, ValueHobby, and HobbyPartz offer great products for the price, most of the time.
4. Lipo is killer compared to NIMH or NICD. Without them, I'd probably be a nitro freak or out of the hobby entirely.
5. Brushless and lipo combined give an RC plain, ridiculous, stupid power.
6. RPM is amazing for the price (compared to aluminum).
7. To date, the Traxxas Summit is my favorite RC on the market. Wish someone else would come out with something similar.
8. The bigger the funner IMO.
9. Don't keep investing loads of cash into an older RC, regardless of brand or anything. It's simply more cost-smart to start with a brand new RC and sell that old one (in most cases).
10. I really enjoy writing and making video productions about RC.

Anyone have anything they would like to add? Like I said, these are just a few of the things I have learned. So far, the hobby's been great to me, so hopefully it'll give me years of fun to come.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: What I've learned after 3 years in the hobby...

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

1. Buying used is a great way to save money for the most part, but be careful what you get yourself into.
2. Traxxas is the absolute, hands-down most controversial thing in the hobby (not sure why, though).
3. Budget stores like HobbyKing, ValueHobby, and HobbyPartz offer great products for the price, most of the time.
4. Lipo is killer compared to NIMH or NICD. Without them, I'd probably be a nitro freak or out of the hobby entirely.
7. To date, the Traxxas Summit is my favorite RC on the market. Wish someone else would come out with something similar.
9. Don't keep investing loads of cash into an older RC, regardless of brand or anything. It's simply more cost-smart to start with a brand new RC and sell that old one (in most cases).

Anyone have anything they would like to add? Like I said, these are just a few of the things I have learned. So far, the hobby's been great to me, so hopefully it'll give me years of fun to come.
Wouldn't say much about traxxas itself is controversial. The reason it starts so many arguments is there a re a pile of rabid fanboys that will take it to heart anything negative said about the RC's they produce, and think its their life long mission to tout how great they are even if they have no experience with anything else made.
The effect is similar to the apple zealots, and global war-mist(I hyphened there cause they act likes its a real war ) where you say one negative thing(even if its 100% factually true) they swarm in en mass, and will drop to name calling or threatening your dog when their argument falls flat.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Wouldn't say much about traxxas itself is controversial. The reason it starts so many arguments is there a re a pile of rabid fanboys that will take it to heart anything negative said about the RC's they produce, and think its their life long mission to tout how great they are even if they have no experience with anything else made.
The effect is similar to the apple zealots, and global war-mist(I hyphened there cause they act likes its a real war ) where you say one negative thing(even if its 100% factually true) they swarm in en mass, and will drop to name calling or threatening your dog when their argument falls flat.
huh??
Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

huh??
believe it or not I've seen the hard core zealots once threaten someones pet on a forum when their argument fell flat. Its really ridiculous how idiotic things can get when they have no counter argument
Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Eman77

Stupid people can be stoopid.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Stupid people can be stoopid.
Agreed.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

LOL well I have learned quite a bit. I literally joined electric about 2 years ago. Knew nothing about it other than charging a battery and going 8mph. I've learned there are crazy machines out there.
-Brushless whoops brushed.
-LiPos are awesome batteries. I will never buy a NiMH battery again.
-Wall chargers that come with an RTR suck.
-Traxxas is overpriced, less bang for your buck. I am disappointed my first hobby grade RC was a Bandit VXL. It was only fast... for $310!
-Tires will wear quickly when doing doughnuts.
-Parts can be expensive.
-Off brand names can be better quality, in some cases.-
-Inns and out of brushed vs. brushless motors, lipos, charging.
-Don't be scared of a lipo battery. It's all hype.

My knowledge of this hobby has grown and I love this hobby. I have gotten several friends into it and now my father in-law is involved with a Flux HP.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I've learned after 27 years in RC, relative to thehuntingterminator's points, as if I listed everything, there wouldn't be enough time in the universe.

1) Never buy used unless it has clearly only been run once or twice, ideally, never run. If it has been bashed or race, even once, it needs to be incredibly cheap.
2) Traxxas are just starting to change their game after many years of producing, frankly, mediocre quality RCs, they are starting to cater to the more extreme demographic. This is good news/bad news really, it's going to make the fanboys more rabid, but hey, as long as the models are improving, meh...
3) Hobbyking etc should be used on a simple basis, one in which you go in with the expectation that sooner or later, you are going to get a dud and you are just going to have to eat it. To be honest, given that the stuff is so cheap, I don't understand why people's expectations are so high in the first place. In any case, the Zippy batteries are great basher packs at perfect dimensions, very cheap and really robust (I left some 3S 5000mAh Zippies fully charged for about 9 months. Not only when I remembered them, they still had 80% charge, but also they had not swelled noticeably, they had swelled a tad, but I had to get the caliper out to realise it). Great batteries for workhorses, and yeh, one day I'm going to get a bad cell, and I'm not gonna piss and moan about it, I'm just gonna order a couple more.
4) Lipo has changed RC in ways we could not have imagined a few years ago. Though it takes a back seat to the revolution that was 2.4Ghz radios.
5) Try a 6S truggy, buddy you have no idea. NO idea.
6) Aluminum arms are for shelf queens and silly people. There are many great places for alloy on an RC, but the arms will never be one of them.
7) The Summit is currently good BECAUSE it is the only thing that offers what it offers. The truth is that the stock spec is like a bad joke for the price. Great RC, but OMG expensive for what you get.
8) 1/8th scale is the current optimum scale for power to weight ratio combined with battery duration, maintenance costs, etc. 1/10th is too small to have much fun outside a track, 1/5th is expensive and heavy, but good fun. This is more going to come down to what a person likes, but for me, the ultimate RC overall, with the most ticks in the most boxes, is a brushless 1/8th truggy or buggy.
9) Recognise when you've bought a lemon and stop throwing cash at it, unless it's a savage flux, in which case, keep going, when you've spent around another $500 on it, you'll have a great RC.
10) I like kittens. And Star Trek.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Here's what I've learned after 27 years in RC, relative to thehuntingterminator's points, as if I listed everything, there wouldn't be enough time in the universe.

1) Never buy used unless it has clearly only been run once or twice, ideally, never run. If it has been bashed or race, even once, it needs to be incredibly cheap.
2) Traxxas are just starting to change their game after many years of producing, frankly, mediocre quality RCs, they are starting to cater to the more extreme demographic. This is good news/bad news really, it's going to make the fanboys more rabid, but hey, as long as the models are improving, meh...
3) Hobbyking etc should be used on a simple basis, one in which you go in with the expectation that sooner or later, you are going to get a dud and you are just going to have to eat it. To be honest, given that the stuff is so cheap, I don't understand why people's expectations are so high in the first place. In any case, the Zippy batteries are great basher packs at perfect dimensions, very cheap and really robust (I left some 3S 5000mAh Zippies fully charged for about 9 months. Not only when I remembered them, they still had 80% charge, but also they had not swelled noticeably, they had swelled a tad, but I had to get the caliper out to realise it). Great batteries for workhorses, and yeh, one day I'm going to get a bad cell, and I'm not gonna piss and moan about it, I'm just gonna order a couple more.
4) Lipo has changed RC in ways we could not have imagined a few years ago. Though it takes a back seat to the revolution that was 2.4Ghz radios.
5) Try a 6S truggy, buddy you have no idea. NO idea.
6) Aluminum arms are for shelf queens and silly people. There are many great places for alloy on an RC, but the arms will never be one of them.
7) The Summit is currently good BECAUSE it is the only thing that offers what it offers. The truth is that the stock spec is like a bad joke for the price. Great RC, but OMG expensive for what you get.
8) 1/8th scale is the current optimum scale for power to weight ratio combined with battery duration, maintenance costs, etc. 1/10th is too small to have much fun outside a track, 1/5th is expensive and heavy, but good fun. This is more going to come down to what a person likes, but for me, the ultimate RC overall, with the most ticks in the most boxes, is a brushless 1/8th truggy or buggy.
9) Recognise when you've bought a lemon and stop throwing cash at it, unless it's a savage flux, in which case, keep going, when you've spent around another $500 on it, you'll have a great RC.

Funny enough a post about star trek RC subs is what got me to make my account on RCU back in 2007 that linked to this site: http://www.hm-arts.com/starfleet_ydd...ain-docks.html lol
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Me too :P
Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh no, dude, that's like coming to me with a Tyco and saying look at my cool RC... try this...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/its-a-fake
Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Ttowntoolman

1. Many people on this sight act like defensive little cryin babies.
2.This is a forum where we can find good information if you dont mind wading through tons of BS/crying.
3.Traxxas brings shizloads of noobs to the hobby.
4.Contrast in life is what brings you the greatist pleasures, get some.
5.Electric/Nitro/Gas as long as its an r/c your most likely going to have a good time with it. One is no better than the other although we all have our preferences.
6. Having an active sense of humor while reading some of this stuff helps too!
7.Getting out and attending a race is a good healthy activity. Everyone is nice, helpfull and will talk to you all day about this stuff.
8. Going fast just rocks.
9.Big air rocks too!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Ttowntoolman

1. Many people on this sight act like defensive little cryin babies.
2.This is a forum where we can find good information if you dont mind wading through tons of BS/crying.
3.Traxxas brings shizloads of noobs to the hobby.
4.Contrast in life is what brings you the greatist pleasures, get some.
5.Electric/Nitro/Gas as long as its an r/c your most likely going to have a good time with it. One is no better than the other although we all have our preferences.
6. Having an active sense of humor while reading some of this stuff helps too!
7.Getting out and attending a race is a good healthy activity. Everyone is nice, helpfull and will talk to you all day about this stuff.
8. Going fast just rocks.
9.Big air rocks too!

can't agree more on that

btw foxy never saw that meme, plus I wasn't trying to do one
Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in 17 years Ive learned.

1- understand when you buy used, you are buying someone else's problems
2- The faster something goes the more you break in a crash
3- alumium is good for chassis plates, knuckles and braces, anything else is as worthless.
4- don't leave batteries plugged in
5- don't locktite plastic... ever.
6- never run with tires that have come un-glued
7- suspension setup is incredibly important to how a car drives
8- your car is only as good as it's tires
9- even if a brushless rc is 2x faster than nitro, people will always think nitro is WAAAY cooler
10-burn nitro, keep that art-form alive, anyone can plug in batteries.
11- electrical tape your AA pack and the connection, if the case breaks or if the battery flies out, you won't have a run-away
12- traxxas is never the best deal, and will get creamed by almost any manufacture in all ways except parts support.
13- don't buy cheap servo's
14- faster does'nt always mean fun, sometimes it becomes scary seeing a $1000 investment doing 70+ mph.
15- stock up on body clips
16- don't underestimate the choice in body, the right body can make or break even the best r/c's in handling and jumping.
17- If you crash, blame it on a glitch
18- don't use duck tape on r/c it just looks bad.
19- don't think nitro is slow, it not always slower than brushless.
20- bring a bottle of water with you if you run nitro, you will thank me if you ever get it in your eyes.
21- if you buy tamiya stock up on parts, they yank lines faster than you can blink.
22- toss your tamiya connectors, they melt, the get loose and the just flat out suck.
23- a brushless outrunner motor and 3s lipo is NOT a good idea in a RJ speed digger.
24- just because it's new doesn't mean its better!
25- use a cool screen name on forums
26- never use a r/c as part of your screen name, as time goes by you may be embarrassed you thought that model was cool
27- be yourself on a forum, if you happen to meet that person in real life, you don't want your frail timid little self be "darkmonster96" who is known to be a real narssistic, short tempered bully with a foul mouth.
28- use the right tools, it will save you ALOT of headache
29- You should know by now I love sharks
Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

1. My most important tip - Never impulse buy kits when you don't have parts to complete them. I have like 5 rollers and only 2 cars that run right now lolololololololol and I don't want to spend money on them now because I'm always trading.
2. Trading is the best thing ever with RC's. I've straight traded probably 6 times now with more than one cars and it's fantastic. Great way to try new cars.
3. Don't include any specific form of driving in your username. (For example, drifting) The irony is not as humorous as you think when you no longer own a vehicle for said racing.
4. I also like fennecs (not just narwhals)

5. Richard Stallman
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ_wXOFQV3M[/youtube]<br type="_moz"/>
Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM
TeamDemonSpeed
My Feedback: (12)

heres one of the things that i have learned since i started in the hobby back in the 80s, lipo batterys made everything fast without having to use the exact science of understanding gear ratios or taking a stock motor apart and rewinding it with a few less winds. imo kids nowadays dont appreciate what it took to get the cars and trucks where they are today. my 1st top quality r/c was the gold tub rc-10 kit where you had to actually bend piano wire and soilder the ends on for the anti-swaybar and bend wire for the rear wing mount. my 1st charger was 2 alligator clips 2 wires and a battery connector and im only 36yrs old!!!! god i love this hobby!!!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
dmowery

Traxxas- Slash 2wd racing and stock with only the radio and servo change allowd -NO after or hop up parts and 2 cell lipo and this class draws th biggest bunch of racers week after week at the indoor off road t4rack and some do pretty good on the Road course on Wed Nights
And great part -them things are almost bullit proof and repair cost is low - har4d to beat the fun and competition with them