Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Your thoughts on ...............

Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM
ScottRPriester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on ...............

This.........

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/109313/

and this.........

http://www.atomik-rc.com/1-18-Brian-...-SC-Truck.html

and finally this...........................

http://www.atomik-rc.com/1-18-Brian-...Rally-Car.html</p>
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Your thoughts on ...............

I've never heard of this "Atomik Metal" brand.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 AM
ScottRPriester

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I've never heard of this "Atomik Metal" brand.
Atomik is formerly Venom RC. I think the whole "metal" brand has to do with the whole Brian Deegan line.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, first one, I'm actually quite feeling this car, it probably has potential, it seems to be loosely vorza based and despite being a bit shorter than other 1/8th on roads, such as the inferno GT2 or OFNA DM-one, it is probably to the same scale and would not look out of place running with them, that's a big plus, especially with scale cars, you really want to play with other scale cars to enjoy them best in my opinion. I'd prefer the normal Abu Dhabi Rally version than the Ken Block one, and when I see how much they're really gonna cost I may consider picking one up.

However, I see a serious flaw if I'm not mistaken... Firstly, I find it a little disturbing the choice of what looks like a 550 motor at best. It even looks small in the motor mount in the pictures, like its undersize or something, and for sure I think it is undersized. In any case, that car is a prime candidate for big 2650 4 pole motor, but wait! What's that behind the motor in the pics...the radio box?? Behind the motor? Seriously?? I don't think a Castle/Neu 1515 (for example) is gonna fit in there. And even if the relocation of the radio box was easy...you're gonna want to change the speed control. Oh dear, this is getting expensive on top of what I bet is going to be at least a 500, maybe 600 dollar car with stock part relocation required. [&:] Hm. Guess we'll have to wait and see the reviews.

Those little minis look average for the price, little brushed motors won't last long and performance will be mild at best, so figure 60 bucks for a cheap brushless set, looking at the cars I'd say get a very mild brushless setup or find out if any option parts are available, you may need a few metal bits for brushless. Make sure you can get parts in general, I'm not familiar with the brand personally.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

If you'd like something good offroad, buy a DRX VE instead of the WR8 Flux. It's cheaper, bigger, faster (?), and better off road.

The Atomiks are pretty small and relatively slow. Similar to the 18r, not that good offroad. If you like them I'm sure they'd be plenty of fun though.

By the way, the brand is Atomik, Metal Mulisha is Brian Deegan's main sponsor, those a vehicles with his livery.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the WR8 flux has all the same electronics as the Savage xs
Old 07-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: echthelion

the WR8 flux has all the same electronics as the Savage xs
I just realised that too. That's more than a little scary. Electrics that weren;t reliable in a 1/12th MT are gonna work in a 1/8th Rally car? I'm kinda surprised. I guess maybe the reduced stress on the ESC due to the lighter wheels and lack of airtime and hard landings maybe they can handle it. Still looks terribly underpowered to me...
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

If you'd like something good offroad, buy a DRX VE instead of the WR8 Flux. It's cheaper, bigger, faster (?), and better off road.
I'd be surprised. The WR8 is an altogether bigger car, it will be better off road and surely faster with the right electrics. I don't think its a fair comparison, apart from its weedy electronics, it's altogether more car than the DRX. The WR8 is a shortened on road Vorza basically from what I can tell. Should be very cool once someone's solved the 2650 on 6s problem. lol. I predict 100mph soon from one of these after they start to hit the scene.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM
echthelion

even tho my replacement esc has been working fine i would not buy another rc with it in it
Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM
narwalrus

Kyosho DRXve... $400 RTR. I've got a roller on the way

<br type="_moz"/>
Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Foxy

That's a sweet car too, I'd love to see a pic once you've got it, of the suspension at almost full droop.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:48 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that hpi is nice as nitro, but the small electric motor would put me off, they are not much bigger than 1/10 cars but still. I think it would overheat all he time.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

HPI Electrics scare me in all honesty
every one I've seen(and owned) the electronics they include are not up to the task for the RC they are in.
Their nitros are perfectly fine though from my experiences, I've not had one issue with them.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 PM
narwalrus

ORIGINAL: Foxy

That's a sweet car too, I'd love to see a pic once you've got it, of the suspension at almost full droop.
It's a standard used gas DRX with a motor mount, just saying that as it's the same vehicle and I'm stupid enough to have one xD

So not a true Kyosho VE.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 PM
psb667

yay
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM
DieHarder

I'd go with the Ken Block
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 AM
narwalrus

ORIGINAL: BurningEvader1458

I'd go with the Ken Block
Because it's pretty? Please elaborate :P

Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: psb667

yay
Please elaborate.

k thx bye

[&:]
Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

The WR8 is not based on the Vorza, and definitely not beefy enough to be based on 1/8. From what I see it looks based off the Bullet ST/MT platform, which is basically a re-hashed MT2/RS4 Evo3 platform. Id think a 1/10th 4WD SCT system should power this car nicely as the weight will be similar and less than 1/8 scale.

Id go with the WR8 over the others, but I never liked mini's much anyway.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Maj_Overdrive

The WR8 is not based on the Vorza, and definitely not beefy enough to be based on 1/8. From what I see it looks based off the Bullet ST/MT platform, which is basically a re-hashed MT2/RS4 Evo3 platform. Id think a 1/10th 4WD SCT system should power this car nicely as the weight will be similar and less than 1/8 scale.

Id go with the WR8 over the others, but I never liked mini's much anyway.
not rehashed...
the RS4's, and MT2 is 100% different its only similar layout. The bullet is based off the HB lightning GT10(actually its not based its a re-release under HPI's name) which owners said was a solid truck, so I'd imagine the WR8 would be solid seeing it looks to share some parts(looks like F/R diffs, and casings are about all that are the same from pics).
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
psb667

Oh so I love the rally chassis. Hpi is also one of my favs. I think ill build the mustang body I have on the long chassis. Ill post a pic if this thread is still going. Or start a new thread.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Foxy

It doesn't look anything like a bullet, and it has 1/8th drivetrain, wheels and tires, anyway, I only assumed it was Vorza based, I realised I might have been wrong. It's much bigger than a 1/10th though, look at that 550 motor!! It looks like its lost in the land of the giants in that car.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

It doesn't look anything like a bullet, and it has 1/8th drivetrain, wheels and tires, anyway, I only assumed it was Vorza based, I realised I might have been wrong. It's much bigger than a 1/10th though, look at that 550 motor!! It looks like its lost in the land of the giants in that car.
well look at the top steering plate. It looks the same as the bullets
and a 1/8th scale rally car shouldn't be far off of a 1/10th scale stadium trucks size. would just be a little longer, and narrower. Hell I made a 1/9th scale rally out of a MT2 once.

But true could use vorza parts too the size is not that far off. Hell could be like the jammin SCRT which had a mix of parts off the jammin crt.5 and crt x2. Hpi could have mixed parts off the vorza, and bullet