Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tornado EXP Pro

Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 PM
SmallBlock350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado EXP Pro

Hello, I have a Tornado EXP Pro and im looking for any information on what parts I need to make my top speed faster and where to buy them? I would like to change the gearing but the only replacment gears I can find are the stock one's! I want the fastest top speed I can get out of this car. I don't care about the launch. Any information would be great. Thanks...
Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tornado EXP Pro

ORIGINAL: SmallBlock350

Hello, I have a Tornado EXP Pro and im looking for any information on what parts I need to make my top speed faster and where to buy them? I would like to change the gearing but the only replacment gears I can find are the stock one's! I want the fastest top speed I can get out of this car. I don't care about the launch. Any information would be great. Thanks...

I just happen to be on the course!
Its still a work in progress, but check out my vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnnG09QL1rI

I added duel heat sinks and a fan off a 8E (both from redcat) to keep the heat down.
Stock gearing right now, but with taller 2.2 tires.
Running a 3s 5000mah 60c (burst) lipo battery.

I just had to buy a new pinion gear...as 3s power shredded the it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68635.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1797259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60038.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1797260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62507.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1797261  
Old 09-01-2012, 05:46 PM
SmallBlock350

Where can I get tire like you have on your Tornado?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Where can I get tire like you have on your Tornado?
ebay
proline dirt hawgs

I have also seen people use the traxxas talon tires.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:35 PM
SmallBlock350

Thanks for the info...</p>
Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 PM
SmallBlock350

What size tire &amp; rims do I need to look for? What are the size of your tires?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

What size tire & rims do I need to look for? What are the size of your tires?
this is tricky, cause the offset on the stock wheels is hard to match with 2.2 wheels.

Offset means that the place on the wheel where the hex sits. On the tornado, this is toward the chassis.

I used traxxas rustler 2.2 rear tires on mine. They worked perfect for the rear of the buggy, but on the front the wheels inside "ribs" rubbed against the suspension arm. I had to trim these ribs with a hobby knife.

I think I read that someone used traxxas 2.8 rear tallon wheels/tires and they fit without modification.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:03 AM
SmallBlock350

Yeah I tried putting my rear tires on the front and they almost fit except they slightly rubbed the lower suspension arm. A few minutes of trimming and they would fit. So I think in going to get a new set of rear tires and mount them on the front. That should give me excellent grip in the turns. I thank you for all your information about the tires.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 AM
SmallBlock350

Damn Nitro, I just checked out your video. Man your Tornado has some killer torque! Is the 5000mAh battery the reason it has so much power? Also I seen the stability in the turns because of the fat tires. Thats cool as hell!!! If I tried to turn mine at those speeds it would just push with or without throttle. Im going to get all the things you listed. Thats what I call a Tornado pulling wheelies like that. Hell yeah! Man your going to cause me to go broke, or a divorce buying all these things!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Damn Nitro, I just checked out your video. Man your Tornado has some killer torque! Is the 5000mAh battery the reason it has so much power? Also I seen the stability in the turns because of the fat tires. Thats cool as hell!!! If I tried to turn mine at those speeds it would just push with or without throttle. Im going to get all the things you listed. Thats what I call a Tornado pulling wheelies like that. Hell yeah! Man your going to cause me to go broke, or a divorce buying all these things!
well, the 5000mah is the capacity (runtime) of the battery.
The 3s (3 cells) or 11.1 v and the 60c (burst current) of the battery are what up the speed. That combined with the larger tires (which increases the gearing)

The power of the novatech 540 motor is pretty good. Im fairly sure that I will reach the limits with the speed control before I hit the limits of the motor.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 PM
SmallBlock350

Also my Tornado came with some kind of tool. It has a tiny plug that will plug into the the reciever along with a small rod that looks like a reset tool. Is their a way to reprogram the controller to get more throttle or more power?
Old 09-03-2012, 04:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Also my Tornado came with some kind of tool. It has a tiny plug that will plug into the the reciever along with a small rod that looks like a reset tool. Is their a way to reprogram the controller to get more throttle or more power?
not sure what you mean by "small rod". Its not "L" shapped is it?

The plug is to "bind" the reciever to the radio. You can buy additional recievers for like $10 and bind them (make them communicate) with your radio.

The ESC has some settings that will change how the power gets to the motor, but wont increase the power or the speed.

Its called punch control. And I have mine set LOW. Especially since I am running 3s lipo power, I need to set the punch low. This ramps up the power to the motor slowly, reducing the shock to the drivetrain. As you saw in my vid, its still plenty pwoerfull off the line....and Im not even punching full throttle. 1/2 throttle from a standstill is enough to spin all 4 tires.

There is also a "timing" adjustment on the ESC. I have never really been able to get more speed out of the motor by messing with this setting tho.

Best way to get more speed is with a 3s lipo. Note, you will have to change the ESC's fan to be powered off the reciever or a seperate battery. if the fan gets more than "X" voltage it will die. And without a working fan, the ESC wont handle more power.

I wired my motor fan and ESC fan to a 1000mah 2s lipo pack. But you could use a simple 4 "AA" battery holder like nitro rc's use to power their servos.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

just for fun, check out a tornado bashing day me and a buddy had.
Both buggies on 2s lipo packs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fI06o6HvqA
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fI06o6HvqA[/youtube]
Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM
SmallBlock350

Hey Nitro, I found a set of Traxxas 3773 rear Anaconda tires &amp; rims for a Rustler. That look very much like yours. I hope they fit because im fixing to spend $40+ for them. Their new instead of used. I gguess the only to find out is to buy them and try them!