Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Primer and Paint for Fiberglass

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Primer and Paint for Fiberglass

Old 10-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primer and Paint for Fiberglass

I have painted fuselage and wings on my Skyshark 82" and want to get some touch up paint. I will take some parts to Home Depot and get them to match the paint but I am not sure what Brand or Type i need.

Your help and suggestions will be much appreciated.

I would prefer paint to use in my Air Brush but that is not a must.

The fuselage is Fiberglass and the wings are Solarex

Looking for Brand and Type for Primer and paint.............

Thanks

Keith
Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

If you are going to The Depot to have the colors matched they are going to do the matching in Latex paint. If you want to use other types of paint you will need to do the color matching at an automotive paint supplier.

The good news is that the latex paint will work just fine for touch ups, and for painting the whole plane, be it fiberglass or fabric. Another nice thing about latex is you can paint in the house as the smell is minimal.

Check out the two articles at Vailly Aviation on using latex paint for airplanes and you will get a good feel for it. The Depot can mix small amounts for you (4 ozs) to see if the color is right, or for practicing. If it is correct you should have all you need for touch up purposes.

http://www.vaillyaviation.com/Intro.html

Last edited by RAMFlyer; 11-03-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Corsair2013

Originally Posted by RAMFlyer
If you are going to The Depot to have the colors matched they are going to do the matching in Latex paint. If you want to use other types of paint you will need to do the color matching at an automotive paint supplier.

The good news is that the latex paint will work just fine for touch ups, and for painting the whole plane, be it fiberglass or fabric. Another nice thing about latex is you can paint in the house as the smell is minimal.

Check out the two articles at Vailly Aviation on using latex paint for airplanes and you will get a good feel for it. The Depot can mix small amounts for you (4 ozs) to see if the color is right, or for practicing. If it is correct you should have all you need for touch up purposes.

http://www.vaillyaviation.com/Intro.html

Thanks RamFlyer,

I use an airbrush now with water based paints so the Latex should be okay. I have enamel for special detailing for the cockpit and other things but the water based seems to work just fine. I don't have any experience with Solartex fabric so that was why I was asking.

Thanks again

Keith
Old 11-06-2013, 03:54 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use most any paint over Solartex. It doesn't require you to fill the weave, and it needs no primer.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Corsair2013

Originally Posted by TomCrump
You can use most any paint over Solartex. It doesn't require you to fill the weave, and it needs no primer.

Thanks Tom...........
Old 11-07-2013, 12:49 PM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
Problem is that all acrylic waterbased and latex paint gives a flat looking surfacet!
If you want a glossy finnish, like on a car, then have to use 2-komp car paint (acrylic laquer). Or att least use 2-part clear over the waster based acrylic paint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_DSC06844.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1937461  
Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since the OP is repairing a Skyshark kit, I would assume that he wants a flat finish.

All latex and waterbased acryllics are not flat, however. My kitchen and bathrooms are painted in gloss latex, because gloss paints are smoother and don't absorb moisture and dirt as readily as a flat finish would.

I've been out of the paint manufacturing field for 10 years, but I do know that, at that time, water borne, high gloss, automobile finishes were being developed for the automotive market.

Last edited by TomCrump; 11-08-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Corsair2013

Correct - flat finish for the Skyshark as it is in North Africa - Libya - desert colors ----------- The plane I am going with is Stocky Edwards - 1943 Libya - Canadian Ace

Name:	Stocky Edwards Scale Picture 4.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	1937518  
Old 11-16-2013, 06:20 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are using a gas or nitro engine, you will need to clear coat the latex paint. The clear coat can be sprayed on with a gloss finish or a dead flat clear. I have used the Home Depot latex paints with great success. I have sprayed the latex paint on Solortex with no issues at all. All I use is my air brushes and I thin the paint with windshield washer fluid. The other nice thing about Home Depot paints is that they sell what they call sample can for about $3.50. The can is designed for finding out if you like the color at home, however it is enough paint for a whole plane. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have used latex over fiberglass and Solartex using an airbrush with great results. For fuel resistance, I clear coated with satin waterbased polyurethane. While not completely fuel proof, if you clean up within about 20 minutes of your flight, there are no issues. The wb pu does add a very slight yellow tint.

Scott

Name:	100_1293b.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1940013