Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Insurance for Large Aircraft

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Insurance for Large Aircraft

Old 10-20-2003, 09:13 PM
jtprouty
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance for Large Aircraft

Hi All,

Just curious how to get insurance for a plane that is larger or heavier than AMA allows. Does anyone know where to look?

Thanks!

Jim Prouty
Old 10-21-2003, 06:53 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Insurance for Large Aircraft

I know you can get a rider for it on your home owners policy, just talk to your insurance provider.

If you want to go though the AMA, you can get in touch with Ilona Maine at > [email protected]

Hope this helps
Old 10-21-2003, 08:19 AM
JakeInHartsel

Out of curiosity what does the AMA alow? I am the only one at my place and the nearset neighbor is about a mile away, so i don't have to worry, but maybe one day I will visit a "real" field.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:29 AM
greenboot

AMA safety rule #4 specifies a 55 pound maximum takeoff weight with fuel.

Doug, why would I need a rider on my homeowners? It says nothing about excluding liability due to RC flying.

Tom
Old 10-21-2003, 10:32 AM
stomper

Hey Jake

Out of curiosity what does the AMA alow?
As far as size?
That would be fiftyfive pounds. But they will allow larger, you just have to meet there requirements and I belive it whould have to go though a yearly inspection my them (AMA) as well.

Ilona Maine is the one to call to start the ball rolling.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:47 AM
stomper

Hey Tom

AMA safety rule #4 specifies a 55 pound maximum takeoff weight with fuel.

Doug, why would I need a rider on my homeowners? It says nothing about excluding liability due to RC flying.

Tom
AMA insurance Is secondary coveage to your renters or homeowners policy. You don't have to have additional coveage, but it does not hurt either. A few of my flying buddys that fly larger planes have an additional rider for there protection and piece of mind.

In todays times, I think it makes sense.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:54 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you realize that AMA insurance, along with homeowners and "riders" are liability insurance policies only. They cover damage that you and/or your airplane do to others property. They do not insure your plane in case of a crash, or other accidental damage. (i. e. collision insurance on a vehicle)
Old 10-21-2003, 12:05 PM
stomper

I hope you realize that AMA insurance, along with homeowners and "riders" are liability insurance policies only. They cover damage that you and/or your airplane do to others property. They do not insure your plane in case of a crash, or other accidental damage. (i. e. collision insurance on a vehicle)
I sure do!
Old 10-21-2003, 06:33 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Tom
Its probably not 'included' either, so having the rider is just a way to make sure its included, rather than argue about whether its included or excluded after the fact. I'm sure your homeowners won't cover lots of things that are not explicitly excluded. It just clears up any ambiguity in witting.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:40 PM
greenboot

I'm pretty sure my homeowners provides liability protection for any harm I do to any person. Only a few things are explictly excluded. Even if I break a law, I'm still covered. I don't need a rider and in fact my insurance did pay for an injury I caused (a minor cut).

Don't get me wrong, purchasing more insurance is a responsible thing to do. I would suggest raising the limit on your homeowners is the most economical way, especially since it covers any other activities you become involved in.

Tom
Old 10-21-2003, 10:15 PM
Stick Jammer

I am the only one at my place and the nearset neighbor is about a mile away, so i don't have to worry,
Not trying to be sarcastic but if your plane was on a straight heading with a full tank of fuel and for one reason or another it decided not to respond, how far do ya think it would go?
Old 10-22-2003, 07:14 AM
sfaust

I'd didn't mean to suggest that it should be at additional cost, so a rider is probably not the correct term for me to use. A shot discussion with the insurance company to verify that liability would be covered, and to what amounts, and having it stated on paper is what I was alluding to. Write then a letter and ask if your RC flying would be covered, and to what extent. Having their response on paper should a claim be filed will help clear up an ambiguity should they decide to deny the claim.

The coverage varies state to state, company to company, and as we have found out in the past, not every homeowners policy covers RC activity. There have been many people that have checked with their insurance carriers, and were told explicitly that RC activities were not covered.

I also have a written correspondence from the AMA in my files that states anywhere I fly RC I am covered as long as I follow the safety guidelines posted in the AMA document. This was in relation to my question I posed to them regarding flying a float plane here at my lake, or any other off AMA club flying as I do flight demonstrations at airports, etc every no and then. No ambiguity here either.

Some people might actually need to pay extra, but I do believe that most insurance carriers do cover it as you suggested. I know State Farm did, but Liberty didn't as recent as 3 years ago. Worth checking if one is concerned.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:12 AM
greenboot

Stick Jammer,
A model plane could easily fly at 60mph for 30 minutes. Using the "new" math, that works out to about 30 miles. I'm not sure how significant that is to this thread. Maybe you plan to evacuate everyone in a 30 mile radius when you fly? Not a bad idea given the number of unemployed lawyers.

Tom
Old 10-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Paul Grubich

AMA will allow up to 100lbs with a yearly inspection by an AMA inspector. My B-17 is 70lbs and gets inspected every spring. You will recieve a paper that you have to take with you when you fly your plane in case you are asked for proof. I also take my homeowners policy with me.

Most insurance homeowners policies do not cover model aircraft damage to person or property. Read your policy in detail! Do not trust the word of your vendor, read it yourself. If it does not cover you have your independent insurance vendor search for a company that will cover model airplanes and if he won't go somewhere else.

I have my homeowners at one million to cover damage by my B-17.

Paul
www.rcwarbirds.com
Old 10-22-2003, 11:54 AM
stomper

Stick Jammer,
A model plane could easily fly at 60mph for 30 minutes. Using the "new" math, that works out to about 30 miles. I'm not sure how significant that is to this thread. Maybe you plan to evacuate everyone in a 30 mile radius when you fly? Not a bad idea given the number of unemployed lawyers.

Tom
Hey Tom

I think Stick Jammer was responding to JakeInHartsel post on post #3.

Out of curiosity what does the AMA alow? I am the only one at my place and the nearset neighbor is about a mile away, so i don't have to worry, but maybe one day I will visit a "real" field.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Stick Jammer

You got it Stomper!
Old 10-22-2003, 10:06 PM
greenboot

I say we round up all the non AMA members, get a gross of bottle rockets, a keg of beer and have a "FUN" fly at Jakes place. No neighbors, no rules, no AMA, no insurance. Last man standing wins.

Tom
Old 10-22-2003, 10:22 PM
sfaust

ORIGINAL: greenboot

I say we round up all the non AMA members, get a gross of bottle rockets, a keg of beer and have a "FUN" fly at Jakes place. No neighbors, no rules, no AMA, no insurance. Last man standing wins.
I'm in. However, lets invite everyone, and not just non-AMA members. No need to be picky, we are all one big happy family! I vote we do some night turbine flying as well I'll bring the turbine and jet fuel, and we will just need something to strap it to.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:15 PM
hotrod468
My Feedback: (3)

If you have a airplane upto 100lbs. the uma will Insure you for 38 bucks a year.