Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

how to start a gas start turbine (autostart) without solenoid valves

Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

how to start a gas start turbine (autostart) without solenoid valves

Old 02-01-2016, 12:39 AM
cd5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to start a gas start turbine (autostart) without solenoid valves

Hi All
I recently purchased my first turbine. Its a wren 54 gas start with a xicoy v10 ecu. Which is autostart. It did not come with solenoid valves.

I have also read that a lot of people just dont use solenoid valaves as they are an additional link in the failure chain.

My Question is, how do i start it. Do i just follow the ecu screen and switch the gas on after pre-heat and turn the gas off once the fuel pump starts turning.

Thanks for any advise

Cheers
Simon
Old 02-01-2016, 02:08 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Simon,
I would refer your question directly to Wren at wrenpowersystems.com for a valid answer.
Solenoid valves are safety devices used in the operation of model gas turbines and should not be omitted. The gas solenoid regulates when the staring gas is admitted into the turbine during the start process. This is controlled by the ECU. The fuel solenoid controls the flow of fuel and blocks the flow of fuel during the fueling stage to prevent a hot start. It also shuts off the fuel flow in case of a detected failsafe or runaway fuel pump situation. It is simply not worth the risk due to omitting these solenoids to save weight in the turbine installation. Again, check with Wren for their answer to your question.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 02-02-2016, 10:09 PM
cd5

ta mate.....valves on order
Old 07-31-2016, 08:04 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On some of the newer versions of turbines the valves are located under the front turbine cover. Would have checked that out first , maybe.