Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

CA Models Extra or AeroWorks Edge

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

CA Models Extra or AeroWorks Edge

Old 02-10-2004, 07:12 PM
davidmor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Models Extra or AeroWorks Edge

Hi all,

I have decided to take the plunge into giant scale and have narrowed my search down to the CA Models 27% Extra or the Aero Works 25% Edge 540, both kits not ARF. Any suggestions or recommendations on which way to go would be appreciated. 27% is as big as I want to go because of transportation issues. I want a plane that is 3D capable but stable. If anyone knows any other Extra or Edge kits (again not an ARF) out there I am definitely open to suggestions. I have plenty of building and flying experience so I am not against a difficult build and would actually like the challenge. Also, I am leaning towards a large glow engine for it, simply because I have no experience with gas engines. I am also open to changing my mind on that issue too. My reluctance is driven by radio glitches caused by the ignition system, and well basically I just don't know much about them. Someone out there please help me change my mind. [sm=stupid.gif] Thanks!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:59 PM
huggins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CA Models Extra or AeroWorks Edge

I can not comment on the Aeroworks, but I have just completed a CA 27%. I have not flown it yet. It is a very easy and quick building plane (pre-sheeted flying surfaces) provided you have building experience, which it sounds like you do. The instructions are a complete joke. Many details are unclear and/or missing. You will have to just figure somethings out on your own. I pretty much tossed them after getting a "feel" for how it goes together from them. Not a big problem if you have experience. There have been some quality issues reported, but mine was essentially okay other than the wing tube sockets being cut to the wrong length. If you plan on running a 22" prop, the landing gear will be too short. A Great Planes Patty Wagstaff Extra gear is taller and fits nicely. Best part is that they are only $14 painted white from Tower. Much cheaper than anything you can get from some of the after market gear suppliers.

Go Gas! Just keep your radio gear at least 8-10 inches from any ignition components (to be on the safe side, though some may argue this) and use a plastic pushrod for your throttle. Make sure you use gas compatible fuel system components Go for it!