Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

RS-232 connector to Laptop Q

Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

RS-232 connector to Laptop Q

Old 06-17-2002, 10:09 AM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RS-232 connector to Laptop Q

Would like to learn more about the JetCat GSU to PC connection. What is it for? Does it expand on the GSU software or is it for monitoring/adjusting engine parameters in real time (test cell ops) or ?

I have a P-120...

Thanks,
Old 06-17-2002, 09:43 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hi Tom,

Sorry for the late reply. I was checking with Bob Wilcox about a new version of the PC software (a Windows version that is a vast improvement over the current system, featuring gauges, graphs, etc.) Not sure when that version will be available, so for now I will explain the basics of the system and give a sample of what you can do now with the current application. The current PC software package includes an RS-232 adapter cable and a diskette with a few DOS applications.

The application is mainly for downloading data, and not for realtime use. I think the new software will have expanded realtime functions. For almost all realtime functions, you can use the GSU.

The JetCAT ECU has (from day one) stored a number of parameters for downloading after a run. The ECU samples the data once per second.

The PC application reads the data from the ECU and stores it in a tab delimited text file on the PC. You can read the resultant file with the included application, or do as I do and open the data file in Excel (or any spreadsheet program). Excel by default reads a tab delimited file quite nicely. I have attached a low resolution JPEG of a sample output.

Column Description (as I said the new software will provide a completely different user interface, but this sample at least gives you an idea of what data will be available)

1.) Time (in seconds). I think it stores the last 16 minutes

2.) Current RPM of the turbine

3.) Set RPM, or the RPM that the ECU control loop is set to

4.) EGT in degree C. Handy for troubleshooting bypass installations or turbine problems

5.) Pump Voltage. This is very handy for diagnosing fuel system problems. If you plot the data sometimes you can actually see the slow upward trend in pump voltage over a flight, indicating a clogged filter for example.

6.) The current state of the ECU, (starting, ramping, running, etc.)

7.) Commanded Throttle position, in percent

8.) Commanded Aux Channel Position

9.) Battery Voltage, helpful for tracking down a bad battery under load, even in the air

10.) Airspeed in MPH or KPH,

11.) Set Speed, the speed that the ECU control loop is set to, either in hold mode or in cruise control or speed control mode

As I said this is great for troubleshooting, I guess the only downside is you have to have a laptop, but any cheapy will do. If you are at an event that Bob or I are at just ask, we should have at least one laptop with us and we can do a download for you so you can see how it works.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14726_236.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	9410  
Old 06-17-2002, 10:28 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Default Thanks

Matt,
This is what I was looking for and then some. Thanks for taking the time to explain it all. I usually have a laptop with me when I'm traveling. A tab delimited file in Excel, like you said, won't be much of an overhead on a computer. Any idea on price for the old and/or new software coming soon?

As an ex turbine mech a long time ago, we used to graph out many parameters of a jet engine including vibration (accelerometers), and oil analysis trends which helped us gauge the engine's health between overhauls. A few flights on a Jetcat may not show much of a trend but you should see changes after 25-50 flights when displayed on a graph.

Cool stuff, thanks!
Old 06-17-2002, 10:50 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Default Re: Hi Tom,

Originally posted by mr_matt
The application is mainly for downloading data, and not for realtime use. I think the new software will have expanded realtime functions. For almost all realtime functions, you can use the GSU.

<snip>

5.) Pump Voltage. This is very handy for diagnosing fuel system problems. If you plot the data sometimes you can actually see the slow upward trend in pump voltage over a flight, indicating a clogged filter for example.

Hi Matt,

I understand that you don't have full knowledge of the newer software, but do you have any idea whether it is likely to be advanced enough to track the above and indicate possible problems like you have mentioned, rather than just reporting values ? Seems like a not *too* difficult and really useful thing for the software to do, and could be a major selling point.

Regs,
Gordon
P.S. Thanx again - I received the plugs from you today! :-)
Old 06-17-2002, 11:24 PM
mr_matt

Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by CobraJet
Any idea on price for the old and/or new software coming soon?

Hi Tom,

The current software is 59.95. I only heard about the new stuff recently, I will get more info and post. I tried to run the DOS software on a CE (Windows CE, now called Pocket PC) and it would not work, it needed the actual hardware math co processor.

The smallest thing that will run DOS with a math coprocessor and any spreadsheet will work.

I agree this is slick.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:34 PM
mr_matt

Default Re: Re: Hi Tom,

Originally posted by Gordon Mc

Hi Matt,

I understand that you don't have full knowledge of the newer software, but do you have any idea whether it is likely to be advanced enough to track the above and indicate possible problems like you have mentioned, rather than just reporting values ? Seems like a not *too* difficult and really useful thing for the software to do, and could be a major selling point.

Regs,
Gordon
P.S. Thanx again - I received the plugs from you today! :-)
Great suggestion, I need to take a look at what they are doing with it. This app is completely new to me, I know it is running, just not in the US, I'll make sure to get my hands on it, I really wanted to get it to run on a Pocket PC, like an iPAC.

Glad you got the plugs, we have issued a formal protest to the Mother Ship about the heatshrinking!!