Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Long servo extensions-questions? For Boomerang

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Long servo extensions-questions? For Boomerang

Old 06-28-2002, 10:57 PM
rcjetflyr
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long servo extensions-questions? For Boomerang

Hey guys I'm starting on a Boomerang and getting all my stuff ordered and in doing some measuring its going to have some
LONG servo extensions. For example from the receiver area in the fuse out to the booms is around 24", then down the boom and exiting out the top of the vertical for the elevator servos is around 48" to 50", so we have like 70" extensions. My Bobcat had fairly long leads but not anywhere near as long as these, and I didn't use buffers in the extensions and they where fine,
so I was just trying to get some input from anyone who might have some exp with extensions this long, I'm thinking I need to use buffers in these, maybe even bigger leads than 22 ga, what ya think?

Thanks Jack
Old 06-28-2002, 11:10 PM
Bob_Wilcox
My Feedback: (1)

You don't need buffers you need copper. At 70" with a 4-cell pack and a digital servo, you will be surprised how much the voltage will drop. I hooked up a digital servo (8411) on a long extension without any load with a scope monitoring the voltage and when the servo changed direction, the voltage would drop below 3V for several milliseconds. Probably just enough to reset the processor in the servo! With a 6 cell pack and an Oddino regulator at 5.6V, it was even scarier but it still worked!
Old 06-28-2002, 11:28 PM
rcjetflyr
My Feedback: (10)

Default Extensions

Hmmm, I did talk to Electrodynamics and they suggested two buffers and possibly 16 ga wire, I also thought why not put a receiver in each boom along with a battery and a switch, there is plenty of room to do that and run one aileron, one rudder and one elevator, and the flaps and throttle on one receiver, and run the other aileron,rudder, and elevator on the other. That would get rid of 24" of ext, but I would have to run a longer ext to the Jetcat ECU for throttle any issue with that? Of course maybe that idea has no merit at all. lol

Jack

Ken F. , If you read this drop me a note and let me know what you may be using in yours. THX
Old 06-29-2002, 01:57 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I too am running two 48" leads with a DS8411 on each one. I got some larger wire extensions to help. Here is a question, they are plugged into a match box, would putting a batt. in the match box help?

Thanks