Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

PowerfLite's with PowerBox or not???

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

PowerfLite's with PowerBox or not???

Old 05-04-2004, 06:12 PM
gi8u2racing
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerfLite's with PowerBox or not???

How are people using PowerfLites with the PowerBox for Lithiums making it work? Is it true you have to ask for a MultiPlex connector off the battery? Can you check the loaded voltage between flights? To recharge, do you just yank the batteries right out of the PowerBox or do you have an extension or a second lead? I already own a 3-port PowerfLite charger, so to switch would be a pain. However, if the consensus is that another battery brand is better, I'll consider to go with another company. So what are the thoughts...?

Thanks,
Jonathan Baker
Old 05-04-2004, 08:42 PM
gravlrd

Default RE: PowerfLite's with PowerBox or not???

Jon,

Call Gerhard at Aircraft International and he or Kevin can answer all your questions. And there are numerous threads on the subject in RCU. I'm running a 40/24 lithium compatible PB in a Composite ARF with Powerflite batteries and Gerhard and the AI web site were of great help.

Bob Perry
Old 05-04-2004, 10:04 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John

If you have Powerflites you'll have to disconnect or pull the plugs to charge or monitor the batteries.. Or install a second charging pigtail much like Duraflite offers on their batteries. You're going to need to upgrade the pigtails to 16/18awg wire for best performance. YES, Emcotec and PowerBox use the MPX plugs.

You can monitor the voltage via the LED's on the PowerBox or you can attach an additional servo extension/pigtail, BUT you'll only realize the average of both batteries in this fashion (unless you power up one battery at a time). The Emcotec RV has two servo extension ports located on the back of the electronic switch for monitoring each packs voltage. I plugged i4c C-Volts into these plugs on mine I can monitor the static voltage and the loaded voltage by mixing the sticks simultaneously[8D] or you could use a loaded ESV with these ports.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:25 PM
gi8u2racing
My Feedback: (11)

I've decided to go with the Fromeco's, but they dont have the Multiplex connector in stock. They are willing to get it for me though, but we can't find where to get it. They only thing they could find was Part#GR2978 on http://www.hobby-lobby.com/connectors.htm . Is this the right one. We have only seen the green connector, but dont see it online anywhere, and this looks close.

Thanks,
Jonathan Baker
Old 05-05-2004, 08:58 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horizon and Great Planes list the MPX High-current socket, 3 pcs. #85214, or try Hitec...

Hitec offers 100 piece lots for the heavy user... #M336214 High-current socket.

I should have mentioned the Emcotec provides the static battery pack voltage prior to the voltage regulators (very desirable). If you use charge pigtails you'll see the static pack voltage as well. If you connect an extension to the servo buss as I mentioned above you'll realize the regulated pack voltage (not much use, but will show you if the battery voltage is low under load).