Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

NEW-Twobeers Ultimate Clutch Bushing Fix

Old 04-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Twobeers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW-Twobeers Ultimate Clutch Bushing Fix

The trouble I had trying to post these and the detail. I give up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37826.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	125386  
Old 04-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Twobeers

Default RE: NEW-Twobeers Ultimate Clutch Fix

After hrs wasted driving to all sorts of machine shop suppliers and bearings suppliers I gave up. This was costing me a small fortune in time and gas. I decided it was cheaper to just simply destroy 3 perfectly good bearings. Using my trusty old Dremel moto tool with a cut-off wheel attachment I fashioned up 3 bushings from the bearings inner races. 1.1mm, 1.85mm, 2.5mm thick. This allows me to tighten down everything riding on the crankshaft. The clutch bell itself has .5mm on in out play riding on the bearings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57985.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	125389  
Old 04-22-2004, 09:35 PM
skyneverdie

deleted
Old 04-22-2004, 09:43 PM
vizaracer

thats alot of work! is that the crankshaft in the second pic? idk, it looks like it but i could be mistaken for the tranny thing where the reverse goes.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Twobeers

No actually it is the tail rotor spindle from a Raptor. By using the end where the pin is, and placing washers and a bearing on the end to help me judge how much i was grinding off of the bearing race I was able to cut them down into bushings fairly accurately by hand. The key was as I was applying the Dremel to the race it was also turning slowly on the spindle, hence I was able to cut them down absolutley square. If anybody nows of a source of 5X6X1 or 5X6X2mm bushings it would be a great help. None of the bearing supply places I visited could help me out at all. They could get various 5mm bearings no problem, but no bushings other than 5X6.5X.1mm washers was the best they could up with. Also could not find anything of use out of the Ofna Clutch Shim Kit, all it had in it that could be of use was the .1mm thick washers which there is no where near enough of. You would need 54 of those washers!
Old 04-23-2004, 06:25 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm havin trouble with the link but I work at a machine shop and when we need something odd to make something work this is the place.. McMaster-Carr.com
Old 04-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Twobeers

Well basically you need three hardened steel shims. 5x6x1mm, 5X6X1.85mm, 5X6X2.5mm. The first shim goes on the crankshaft first. Next the first clutch bell bearing, followed by the 1.85mm shim, put the clutch bell on, then the outer clutch bearing. The 5X6X2.5mm shim, topped off with a hardened steel washer that fits snugly on the screw and slightly larger than 6.5mm in width. All the bearing shops i visited could only come up with a .1mm thick shim.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Twobeers

bump. for those having bushing problems which leads to clutch or spur gear failure.