Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

good beginner giant?

Old 05-26-2004, 09:13 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good beginner giant?

what do you think is a good giant aerobatic plane for a first giant? i like the GP extra 1/4-is this a nice flying plane? for an engine i might convert a weedwhacker engine or get a cheap one off of ebay. is there a rule of thumb for choosing engine size for 3D, or do the recommended sizes usually work? also, what kind of torque do the servos need to control 25-30% planes? and is one receiver battery usually enough?
thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 05:56 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: good beginner giant?

Giant Stinger with a 3.2 Brison. You will have the best of everything in Giant scale. A plane that will fly and land like a trainer OR it will do anything and everything a pilot can ask for.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:37 AM
smokingcrater

i like the GP extra 1/4-is this a nice flying plane? for an engine i might convert a weedwhacker engine or get a cheap one off of ebay.
most converted weedy's will be too heavy for that plane, at least for 3d. for decent 3d in general you are probably going to be dealing in a more expensive engine unless you can get the weight WAY down on a plane. (conversions just don't have the power/weight that the higher priced special purpose engines do)
Old 05-27-2004, 10:45 AM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

I agree with the above. You will have trouble doing 3d with a converted weedwhacker or cheap engine. If you want to go that route for an engine, you might try a hanger 9 super cub or similar. I think chief has them on special. Should do decent aerobatics, yet is relatively inexpensive and easy to fly.
Another option might be the aeroworks giant profile plane or the hanger 9 giant stik. Those might be a little more aerobatic yet, but are light enough such that you could get away with adding a heavier engine and still have reasonable performance.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:28 PM
electricfan

hows the chief katana 140 with a zenoah g26 or an aeroworks edge .90 with a saito 100? which one would be better quality?
Old 05-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Driver9

I second the Giant Stinger. A perfect combination with a G62.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Boogie

Maybe the big pinky??. Very cheap and also uses a weedwacker.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:10 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Your initial post asks about advice for a first giant gas plane, then you start comparing small gas to Saito100(glow). Depending on what you're looking for in a gas plane, I think anything under 28% is too small for good performance, if it's an aerobatic plane. If you are just looking for a put-put scale plane, by all means just get a 1/4 Cup and a weetie engine. If you want decent flying characteristics in an earobatic plane, it won't get much cheaper than a 28% WildHare ARF ($400) and a 50-60cc engine, possibly a G62, and five digital servos, one Rx and one Rx battery will be fine. If you make a 1.20 size or 25% aerobatic plane gas powered, you'll either get an underpowered or snappy overpowered plane, and it will only turn you off to flying it.
DKjens
Old 05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pretty much agree with DJ. Leaving the 28% Wild Hare at the low rate settings and suggested starting C/G would be pretty safe for the entry level giant aerobatic/3D flyer. The plane was DESIGNED to do just that.

It also has the capability to satisfy the yearnings of the experienced 3d pilot that already knows the ropes, without bank breaking expense.

The other way to go, IMO, would be with a giant Ultra Stick, set it up with all the available functions, learn them one at a time, and use a 2.4 gas engine designed for R/C. Unfortunately, the 2.4 engine size will limit it's use in other airframes as you skill level increases. It will keep you to the smaller planes, with less than desirable flight habits. The 50 to 60cc class of engines has A LOT more alternatives, and the expense is not that much greater than the 2.4 class.

Either way, go with QUALITY digital servos. You will definitely find them a vast improvement over analog servos.