Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Slipper clutch

Old 06-17-2004, 06:10 PM
rangerdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipper clutch

I got an Evader BX. I'm loving it so far. That buggy is great fun.

It's my first real rc car.
I've adjusted the diff to 1/16 off. I've read better too tight than too loose, as it's the slipper clutchs job to actually slip, not the diff's.

I'm just wondering if my cluch is too tight.
The car runs great and makes no weird sounds (yet).
But when I drive it, it seems to not slip at all, except the rubber on concrete.

When I run the car on carpet (giving nearly 100% grip) full reverse and then go to full forward, the car flips over due to the acceleration.
I was wondering if the clutch actually should slip instead of giving so much grip making the car flip.
Or should the clutch only slip in ultra high acceleration situations like when the cars lands from a jump with still wheels?

Could anyone give advice on this?

I don't wanna break my tranny too fast.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:58 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Slipper clutch

You should set your slipper cluch looser than you have it. It should slip before you pull a wheelie from a reverse forward slam (which is not good for the car anyway).
Old 06-18-2004, 02:14 AM
frailcow

The slipper clutch slips more as it is made looser. This protects internal gears from abrupt shocks and reduces wheel spin under hard acceleration. Loosen the slipper so that you hear it slip for about 2 feet under full acceleration on carpet.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:33 AM
rangerdude

Ok thanks.
I will adjust it so it doesn't lift the front at all.
I knew it was too tight.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:30 AM
fhm101

There is a very fine line between a slipper that's adjusted just right and one that's too loose. On carpet or any other high traction surface for that matter, that line gets finer still. You can do as much or more damage with a slipper running too loose as you can with one that's too tight. If you let it out enough to keep the wheels front wheels on the ground I'll bet it will be way to loose, especially running on carpet. Throttle control is the key to keeping an off road car on it's wheels on carpet.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:35 AM
rangerdude

Ok, so how do I know when it's adjusted right?

It should slip most at high accelerations. That occurs on carpet where the wheels have 100% grip.
But you say it shouldn't slip there, so how do I know when it's right?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:30 PM
fhm101

In electric, the general rule for slipper adjustment is the more traction you have the less slipper you need. Carpet is one of, if not the highest traction surfaces you can run on so you need a tight slipper and better throttle control. On dirt you want your slipper to work for a couple of feet before your wheels get full power. Slamming reverse to forward will shorten the life of all your electronics so you should avoid it as much as you can. If you need to reverse, let the car stop first. I doubt your RTR ESC has any braking function so it may take some practice to get it right, but what it sounds like to me is more work on throttle control would be much better for you than trying to adjust your car so it will do something it was never intended to do. If it's wheelies you want try a hotter battery set, a better motor, or regear so it will pull the front wheels. Of these 3 options, regearing is by far the least expensive. I'm sure your car came with instructions and the place to start looking for what the manufacturer considers the correct slipper adjustment is in the instructions that cae with the car.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:12 PM
rangerdude

There nothing about slipper clutch adjusting in the manual. There's a VHS but I can't watch it as it's in american format and European VCRs cant read that.
RC pices in Denmark are wayyy nuts. Aprox double price on anything.

I don't do full rev then forw for fun, it was only for slipper testing.
I beleive, tell me if I'm wrong, that the slipper clutch should be quite loose if you do jumping.
So if I jump on concrete, the slipper shouldn't be too tight, or else gears will break upon landing.

As far as I understood I should have a tight slipper clutch if I run on anything giving a good grip, like carpet og concrete.
But what worries me the most, are the few small jumps I make on the street. If the slipper is too tight the gears might break
upon landing. Or are the gears made of everlasting titanium? I doubt it