Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Small Gas Engine Choice...

Old 07-29-2002, 12:53 AM
cdub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Gas Engine Choice...

Am looking for the best small gas engine for a Dynaflite Cub. I want to keep it light, and electronic. So I have been looking at

3w 24 (high on the price end)

RCS 1.4 or 1.8?

MVVS 1.6 or 2.1

Any advice, experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cdub
Old 07-29-2002, 03:21 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would recommend that you stick with the RCS 1.4
That is going to be your best choice for electronic and light
Old 07-29-2002, 03:33 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely the need for a light power package is negligible on this model. Sure light is better, but adding weight is also undesired. You may find that a light engine is undesired with this Cub.

Make some inquiries in the appropriate forum on power packages and model specific needs for balancing.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:11 AM
Greg Cothern
My Feedback: (8)

I am in the process of putting the MVVS 1.60 on a World Models 1/4 clipped wing Cub, she balanced quite nicely without any added weight just battery location. Have not flown her as of yet but should be great, more than enough power.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:08 PM
cdub

I have been leaning toward the MVVS 1.6. But am curious about the RCS, and have this question.

Would the 1.8, be too much? It would add some power, and weight, over the 1.4.

The MVVS has the benefit of front carb, so little mod's at the firewall will be required. The RCS has a rear mounted carb, so I will probably need to carv up the firewall a bit.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:28 PM
Greg Cothern
My Feedback: (8)

Default RCS VS MVVS

The RCS 1.80 is just slightly more power, but also more weight. Probably a trade off is what I am thinking.
From what I hear of the ignition, the MVVS is better in that respect. I like the multi bolt prop hub, but is it necessary @ this size, probably not, and adds weight.
I am turning an APC 18x6 7600 (which is 18.19 thrust), and I am running a 32:1 fuel/oil ratio (my preference for more oil during the first couple tanks). They suggest 40:1 then a move to 50:1, I should see 8K range with ease. A tuned pipe (that would go well with a Cub, hehehehe) will see even better #'s on this engine by a good margin.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

CDUB,

I'm installing a MVVS 1.6 in a H9 Cap. I leaned toward the MVVS because of the front carb and the fact that, reportedly, the RCS 1.4 doesn't have needle bearings in the rod small-end as does the MVVS. I brok my 1.6 in on the bench and learned to love it.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:41 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default engines

Charley: How many rpm do you get with the props you have tried.? Sounds like a nice engine(MVVS). I like the sound of needle bearings on both rod ends. Thanks Captinjohn
Old 07-31-2002, 07:11 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

captinjohn,

I was using the "muffler" that came with the engine, which is very restrictive so I didn't record the rpm figures. I'd be trying to go from memory, which gets worse every day! Some of the guys have rpm data posted on this forum and on their websites. Try a search. Sorry, best I can do.

CR