Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D with OSFX 40, plus more questions >>>

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D with OSFX 40, plus more questions >>>

Old 09-12-2004, 05:59 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Twist 3D with OSFX 40, plus more questions >>>

Hey guys,

I crashed my Sig Four Star today after a dead stick and the damage is beyond repair.. It's ok because I've been thinking of going with the Twist anyhow, I do have a couple of questions before I go this route however..

1) I know the FX40 won't be an ideal motor, but will it work??? I'd run the 12x3.75 prop as people talk about and am no 3D expert but wouldn't mind an occassional however with a slow pullout
2) Will it balance with that motor?
3) When calculating the CG, is that typically done wet or dry as I see people posting CG numbers, but don't know how they're measured
4) Which yellow Ultracote would I need to match the plane?
5) 5 servos, right?
6) How is the factory tailwheel or should I go Sullivan?
7) The only thing that bugs me are the wheels, where can I get wheel pants that will fit?
8) Any recommended things to pick up while I place my order?
9) Lastly, and maybe most important, can I fly this plane? I'm no pro, I flew my 4* without too much difficulty but I want a plane with gentle stall characteristics and slow landings.

Thanks all..

Sachin
Old 09-12-2004, 07:36 PM
rockmon

Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D with OSFX 40, plus more questions >>>

Lots of questions that can be answered by reading the long twist thread but here goes anyway. It will fly with the 40 and probably pretty well I don't have any 40 size engines 46 is the smallest I own but I will assume the fx is a ball bearing engine and will produce a good amount of power so it should fly it ok. It will probably need quite a bit of weight in the nose for balance. C.G. is calculated with an empty tank if you balance it with a full tank the plane will be very tail heavy as you fly the fuel out. Don't know the exact color of yellow but it should be easy to find if you need some. 5 servo's is right two ailaron one elevator one rudder and one for the throttle. The factory tail wheel will work but they are hard on the rudder and it's servo the way they are mounted but a sullivan will add extra weght to the tail that the twist doesn't need I went with a piece of wire for a skid and it works great no tail wheel at all. Skip the wheel pants they are just eye candy and add weight but I have a drawer full of different kinds of wheel pants and will gladly send you some if you just have to have them. The hardware that comes with the twist works just fine and as far as ordering anything else I would pick up some stick on lead weights to user for balance. Now can you fly it? You would be the best judge of that but if you flew your 4* for any length of time you should be able to handle the twist as long as it's not too tail heavy and you go easy on the throws on low rates. After you have flown it a few times switch to high rates and have a ball the twist is a fun and easy plane to fly as long as it's not real tail heavy, try to shoot for 41/2 to 5 inches on the c.g. and it's pretty tame. Good luck and read the long twist thread before you start to assemble it. The twist is one of the easiest planes you can find to assemble and should only take you a couple of days to finish even if you have never assembled an arf before. I think that covers everything but if you have any problems don't be afraid to ask, someone will have the answers for you.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:47 PM
LuckyArmpit

I have a Twist and have an Evo .46 on it. I mounted the engine per instructions. Guess what, its tail heavy!! So much so that
I added almost 6 ounces to the nose. The CG on this plane is roughly 4 to 5 inches from the LE with the 5 inch mark a tad tail heavy but that makes for good 3D. Even with this added weight, mine balances around 4 3/8 or so. It takes off in about 10 to 15 yards....however,
it comes in a little hot on landings due to the weight. I only have about a half dozen flights on mine and haven't done any 3D stuff. I'm guessing around maybe 3/4 to full throttle and mine will hover. One thing you need to think about...the control surfaces on this plane are very large. You aint gonna need much deflection on the elevator and ailerons. Mine are set even a little lower than the recommended low rate of 1 inch travel. And I also have added in some expo on the Futaba 9C transmitter. Even with these rates, it turns on a dime and is very agile.

Dave...
Old 09-13-2004, 12:56 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Mount your 40 out as far as you can on the rails. Don't go back further than 4 1/2" on cg. Mine was closer to 4 3/8" and is very agile in the air. I used a Higley brass Heavy Hub inside the spinner to get the cg without putting any lead up front.
You'll enjoy the plane for the cost and the way it flys, but it's built very lite and won't stand much abuse.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

One more thing about setting the CG. Instead of adding weight I changed to a flat battery pack mounted on top of the tank and pretty much all the way forward. With the Evo 46 I was using it balanced out at 4 1/2" with the sullivan tailwheel with no additional weight needed. Make sure you get the 40FX mounted as far out on the beams as possible, that will definitely help out on the CG.

Another thing is that while it will slow down some for landing, I found it was better to keep the speed up a bit. With any kind of intermittent crosswind, getting it to slow can make for some interesting landing antics.

I think you'll probably enjoy it.
Duke
Old 09-13-2004, 02:59 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy at work flew his Twist with a very old Royal 40 and an 11x5 apc. It flew fine. Your FX may be a little stronger.